Sign Avi to a long term contract?

sin city sox fan

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 09:53 AM)
Yeah, why not?

After all, the Tim Anderson extension has worked like a charm so far.

Also, lock up Davidson for another 5-6 years, while we're at it.

Davidson has to prove himself a little longer. He didn't have to suffer under the Ventura regime which held many players production to 70% or less of their capacity. It's clear now that Avi was the biggest victim of Robin's "leadership" and I hope we can keep "Little Miggy" in the fold for a long time as he blossoms into a first ballot HOFer.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 11:17 PM)
People accuse me of being a troll. Me thinks this is a fake post. Avi is despised on this board. I'd say 90 percent of people on here would be against paying him any more $$ or adding any more years. I mean real money and real years. Obviously people would be OK extending his current chump change contract for 3 mill a year, add 5-6 more years. But real money? No way.

Troll recognize Troll

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 01:01 PM)
Those of you poo-pooing the move will regret it if he fetches $25 million per year in the offseason. This could be our chance to lock up a Mike Trout or Bryce Harper type talent for half the dough. It could be instrumental in building that 2020 World Series championship team. Waiting is suicidal. This a move that needs to be made now before its too late.

Dumb thread. Nobody fell for it, Sin.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 04:33 PM)
Davidson has to prove himself a little longer. He didn't have to suffer under the Ventura regime which held many players production to 70% or less of their capacity. It's clear now that Avi was the biggest victim of Robin's "leadership" and I hope we can keep "Little Miggy" in the fold for a long time as he blossoms into a first ballot HOFer.

Dumb thread. Avi is despised on this board and nobody wants him signed to a long-term deal. Nobody fell for the troll post.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 11:46 PM)
Avi must relish proving his keyboard critics wrong. That bomb he hit today was 429 feet, I believe - a game winning towering blast against a great pitcher in Yankee stadium.

Maybe he should play centerfield

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 11:33 AM)

Davidson's had a pretty good couple of weeks. If he makes contact, it's a hit. Just think if he could get his k-rate to an Adam Dunn level. He might hit .400 with 60 or 70 homers. You lock him up now and enjoy him for a while.

As J4L would say, what a time to be alive.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 03:17 AM)
People accuse me of being a troll. Me thinks this is a fake post. Avi is despised on this board. I'd say 90 percent of people on here would be against paying him any more $$ or adding any more years. I mean real money and real years. Obviously people would be OK extending his current chump change contract for 3 mill a year, add 5-6 more years. But real money? No way.

I have always wanted the Sox to stick with Avi Garcia. He is 25 years old and IMO he has always fit in the long term real plans

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)
I have always wanted the Sox to stick with Avi Garcia. He is 25 years old and IMO he has always fit in the long term real plans

Finally someone else who agrees with me. Let's hope Hahn is on our side. I'd love to hear them announce a deal soon and think the figures I mentioned to start this thread would be fair to all (6 years / $72 million).

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 04:54 PM)
Finally someone else who agrees with me. Let's hope Hahn is on our side. I'd love to hear them announce a deal soon and think the figures I mentioned to start this thread would be fair to all (6 years / $72 million).

If he's the next Trout why stop at 6/72? Why not give him Pujols money since he's gonna be better, gotta keep him locked down thru his prime and past! Then extend our relief aces Putnam, Jennings, Ynoa (hell, throw Kahnle a bone too) to a Chapmanesque contract and we'll be set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 05:17 PM)
If he's the next Trout why stop at 6/72? Why not give him Pujols money since he's gonna be better, gotta keep him locked down thru his prime and past! Then extend our relief aces Putnam, Jennings, Ynoa (hell, throw Kahnle a bone too) to a Chapmanesque contract and we'll be set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be sensible. There is no one in that bullpen that is worth extending to be a part of our potential championship teams 3-4 years from now. However, Avi's bat can be a cornerstone and help make that dynasty happen. If we let him play out this season and hit the open market, its likely going to cost $20 million a season to keep him. If we could get a deal done now at $12 mil per, it would give us $8 mil more to work with on annual basis.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 01:55 AM)
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/very-early-...-in-increments/

Steverson fixed Donaldson and made him an MVP. I'd bet the house he did the same with Avi. He made him harness his elite athleticism.

I'd say lock up Steverson for 5-6 mil a year.

Betting the house on guys who turned out to suck is so pre-rebuild White Sox.

No action is required at the moment. If Avi still is what most of us think Avi is, it will be obvious by the time an action is necessary.

I think its a hell of a lot easier and safer to say, Avi will come back around to the old Avi soon enough and will remain a bad baseball player in the very near future. But I dont think it HAS to be ridiculous and be solely reactionary to be excited that this guy may have turned the corner. Its happened before and will happen again where a guy finally "gets it" far later than expected. I am pulling for the dude.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 07:30 PM)
Be sensible. There is no one in that bullpen that is worth extending to be a part of our potential championship teams 3-4 years from now. However, Avi's bat can be a cornerstone and help make that dynasty happen. If we let him play out this season and hit the open market, its likely going to cost $20 million a season to keep him. If we could get a deal done now at $12 mil per, it would give us $8 mil more to work with on annual basis.

Dan Hayes @CSNHayes

20s

In his first 11 1/3 IP with #WhiteSox, Tommy Kahnle walked 14 and struck out 7. From Aug 11 forward, he has 30 Ks and 7 BBs in 21 2/3 IP.

#ReliefACE

$20 Million a season for Avi after a great 2 weeks, and I'm not being sensible...Trolling is fun.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)
Dan Hayes @CSNHayes

20s

In his first 11 1/3 IP with #WhiteSox, Tommy Kahnle walked 14 and struck out 7. From Aug 11 forward, he has 30 Ks and 7 BBs in 21 2/3 IP.

#ReliefACE

$20 Million a season for Avi after a great 2 weeks, and I'm not being sensible...Trolling is fun.

But Avi has always shown us he had the tools - it was just a matter of putting the pieces together. He's hitting .423 now.....so lets say he does slump a little and ends up only hitting .375 for the season with 30 HRs and 110 RBIs. That would fetch at least $20 mil per season in the winter. If we could sign him now for 6/72, it secure a major building block and save us a ton of money.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 12:39 PM)
But Avi has always shown us he had the tools - it was just a matter of putting the pieces together. He's hitting .423 now.....so lets say he does slump a little and ends up only hitting .375 for the season with 30 HRs and 110 RBIs. That would fetch at least $20 mil per season in the winter. If we could sign him now for 6/72, it secure a major building block and save us a ton of money.

This might be the funniest thing I have ever read on Soxtalk.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 12:39 PM)

I can see you're already enjoying the holiday today, can you hook a fellow Soxtalker up??

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 11:18 PM)
I approve of this thread and Greg's reaction to it. Nicely done, sir, from one troll to another.

Come on now. Give the rest of us some credit for helping with the trolling. It really has been a group effort.

• 2 weeks later...

We are 25 games into the season and Avi is still leading the league in batting average. It's time for people to realize we now have one of the best players in the game. His cost has probably risen to about $14 million per season since this thread was posted, but it would still be to our advantage to sign him long term now before he gets $20+ million on the open market at the end of the season. Hurry up Hahn and make this your #1 priority!