May 1st Game Thread: White Sox at Royals, 7:15PM

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 1, 2017 -> 09:09 PM)
The year after the Sox traded him Devenski had a 7.88 ERA in 75 innings at A+ ball as a 22-year-old. Is it possible the Astros development team had something to do with his improvement?

In 2014 he put up almost identical peripherals at AA and had a 3.92 ERA. I don't pay much attention to MiLB ERA. He obviously improved a lot though. But they could have given up a bag of balls for Brett Myers and I still would have hated that trade.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (harkness @ May 2, 2017 -> 03:15 AM)
I just can't see Covey having any real future.... mediocre stuff with bad control.. doesn't equate.

I would rather see Danish. Maybe put Covey in the pen to see if he can throw harder? As a starter, he's awful

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 1, 2017 -> 09:06 PM)
I prefer the rebuilds that try various intriguing players as starters rather than just toss out random mediocre minor-leaguers to deliberately lose. Nobody's saying to promote Giolito or Lopez, just to try things out. There were also more intriguing Rule 5 options imo.

I'm in agreement here, I find it hard to believe Covey was the best arm they could find to roll the dice on. But at this point in time, I don't really see another option unless you want to call up Danish and he's probably better off getting further development time in AAA.

QUOTE (harkness @ May 2, 2017 -> 02:15 AM)
I just can't see Covey having any real future.... mediocre stuff with bad control.. doesn't equate.

I was really surprised the Royals didn't end their slump against Covey last week. If these games mattered, which I agree they don't, I would really be upset cause Covey is no Willie McCovey that is for sure. Should be interesting to see if Covey single-handedly woke up the Royals. Not that it matters, but he is putrid as is Pelfrey.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 1, 2017 -> 08:45 PM)
I'm hesitant to f*** with Swarzak at all. He looks like a competent reliever, I'd rather not screw with one of the things that is working.

If he keeps pitching like this he could have real value as a bullpen trade piece, and plus we have starters in the pipeline. There is no good reason to move Swarzak around.

QUOTE (Tony @ May 1, 2017 -> 08:50 PM)
I'm not understanding the "We need to get rid of Covey right now" group.

If no one is ready in AA or AAA (which is a whole different issue itself) then what are you even asking for at that point? A change just to make a change?

You must be new here, welcome to Soxtalk!

QUOTE (harkness @ May 1, 2017 -> 09:15 PM)

Guys who have stuff like that need to not nibble as much as he does. He still hasn't gotten past a fear of major league hitters. Look at a guy like Miguel Gonzalez in the same light as Covey. Working the edges of the plate is one thing, but you have to be able to throw strikes with your off-speed stuff or most guys aren't going to chase.