Nationals acquire Doolittle/Madson from As

Whisox05

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 07:48 AM)
I have not heard anyone report it any differently to this point. Rick Hahn actually kind of broke this months ago.

I thought I had read that ownership had killed it, but not necessarily their ownership.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 09:38 AM)
You are ignoring their baseball people agreed to the trade. Ownership blocked it due to money. They also had basically agreed to a contract with Greg Holland until ownership blocked it due to a performance based option.

It has nothing to do with the Eaton trade. No one knows how that trade will work out. You could say the Sox screwed them, but that's all talk at this point.

But that was in the offseason, wasn't it. I can't imagine that they proceed past July without some bullpen fortification. Maybe they will - we'll see.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)
Ahh thank you! I had not seen that article.

No problem. I think from the White Sox side of things, JR is more involved in the day to day stuff, so stuff doesn't get vetoed by someone at an end stage. If JR doesn't like something, it probably never gets off of the ground.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 08:08 AM)
No problem. I think from the White Sox side of things, JR is more involved in the day to day stuff, so stuff doesn't get vetoed by someone at an end stage. If JR doesn't like something, it probably never gets off of the ground.

Yeah, at least in terms of the financial aspects.

I know that Kenny mentioned that these days Rick will do most of the leg work before even telling Kenny, otherwise he would end up watching hours of video on a guy only to find out that that player or that deal had been off the table for days.

So I suspect the Sox FO discusses their goals for a transaction up front and then revisits again if Rick can negotiate something close to those original parameters.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 07:07 PM)
The Nationals bullpen implodes again. Matt Albers just gave up a game tying HR with 2 outs in the 9th.

It's getting to a point where you have to question the intelligence of their front office. If I were a player and my team blew 15 saves before before the 4th of July I'd be pissed. Management has a job to do and they aren't doing it. I'm not saying this either for Sox trade purposes but I couldn't imagine being on the field knowing my team is gonna blow the lead.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 09:30 PM)
I mean really, we literally have numerous options for them at different price points. Swarzak would be their closer right now.

Agreed. Even if the Nats want the market to develop more before dealing significant resources, Swarzak would instantly be their best reliever and it would only take a marginal prospect to get him.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 07:32 PM)
Agreed. Even if the Nats want the market to develop more before dealing significant resources, Swarzak would instantly be their best reliever and it would only take a marginal prospect to get him.

Hell, Jennings could be their closer ;)

It's really irrelevant if the Nationals can get through this season. Once they hit the playoffs this bullpen gives them zero chance. So they have to do something, it's not even an option. Amazingly, each day it seems to get worse and worse. I think we'll end up landing either Soto, Fedde, or Kieboom.

QUOTE (striker @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 08:39 AM)
On the CSN WhiteSoxTalk podcast, Nightengale from USA Today predicted Robertson going to the Red Sox. Groome is healthy now. He'd be a nice get in a Robertson deal. Groome + Chavis.

No way the Red Sox give up Groome and Chavis for Robertson. Chavis is arguably having the best season of any player in the minors, at least with the bat.

Pretty sweet that Robertson is probably the best closer on the market at the deadline. Thankfully the Nationals ownership nixed the deal earlier because I think he is going to be able to net us a lot more now. Considering what the trades for relief pitchers brought back to teams last year this should be fun.

Another benefit of a Robertson trade is that he is not a rental. A contending team will have Robertson for a post-season run, plus have him for another full year. I have a hard time believing the Red Sox would give up Devers, but if we could manage C.J. Chatham and Michael Chavis, I would be pretty happy with that.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 09:29 AM)
Pretty sweet that Robertson is probably the best closer on the market at the deadline. Thankfully the Nationals ownership nixed the deal earlier because I think he is going to be able to net us a lot more now. Considering what the trades for relief pitchers brought back to teams last year this should be fun.

I like how the Robertson market is shaping up, especially if the Sox are willing to absorb some salary. Bullpen help is always in demand at the deadline, so it's a foregone conclusion that he gets moved to the highest bidder.

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 10:05 AM)
Another benefit of a Robertson trade is that he is not a rental. A contending team will have Robertson for a post-season run, plus have him for another full year. I have a hard time believing the Red Sox would give up Devers, but if we could manage C.J. Chatham and Michael Chavis, I would be pretty happy with that.

From National fan forum:

"If I were Rizzo, I'd send a memo out to the 29 MLB GM's saying this:

"Alright, you all know our bullpen sucks here in Washington. Let me make this really simple for you... I'm going to trade away any 5 prospects of your choice + Adam Eaton. I want 3 of your best relievers. I'll take the best offer any team makes. Thanks for your time."

Sincerely, Mike Rizzo.

If this happens, we win the World series and who cares about the next 10 years."

Nationals fans know this is their best World Series chance in a generation this season and next, and they seem to be willing to do anything it takes to help the bullpen. Robles might not be off the table as much as we think come the deadline.

Some fans are realistic, like the above poster from the Nats forum, but others insist on keeping Fedde/Robles/Kieboom/Soto, which obviously isn't going to happen now. The Nationals are perfectly primed to overpay and every GM out there knows this.

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 03:12 PM)
From National fan forum:

"If I were Rizzo, I'd send a memo out to the 29 MLB GM's saying this:

"Alright, you all know our bullpen sucks here in Washington. Let me make this really simple for you... I'm going to trade away any 5 prospects of your choice + Adam Eaton. I want 3 of your best relievers. I'll take the best offer any team makes. Thanks for your time."

Sincerely, Mike Rizzo.

If this happens, we win the World series and who cares about the next 10 years."

Nationals fans know this is their best World Series chance in a generation this season and next, and they seem to be willing to do anything it takes to help the bullpen. Robles might not be off the table as much as we think come the deadline.

I'm sure other fans grilled him immediately.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 03:18 PM)
I'm sure other fans grilled him immediately.

Yah, that is some certifiably stupid stuff there. But, the point remains, the Nats are going to get fleeced. They have no leverage at all.

In all honestly Swarzak might be an ideal target for Washington. They need warm bodies who can get outs, and they don't seem to want to pay them a lot of money, nor do they want to give up a lot out of their system for them. If what Buster Olney said about the Sox kind of being done talking to the Nats about Robertson are true, I wonder if ground is there to get something done for Swarzak instead, maybe for something starting with a player that is towards the end of their top 10.