Nationals acquire Doolittle/Madson from As

Whisox05

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)
He's #12 in BP. That would be a heist.

Robertson's not worth that (or even close to that).

The Nats have no leverage, are a legitimate WS contender besides their bullpen, and literally need 4 or 5 arms. The asking price should be astronomical. You can always lower it later.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 11:40 AM)
The Nats have no leverage, are a legitimate WS contender besides their bullpen, and literally need 4 or 5 arms. The asking price should be astronomical. You can always lower it later.

Their leverage will increase when and if more closers hit the market.

The Reds' guy has twice Robertson's value: younger, cheaper, more control, having a better year.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)

The Reds' guy has twice Robertson's value: younger, cheaper, more control, having a better year.

I think that is very debatable.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 11:19 AM)
True, but I hope it's not the Sox asking for one of those 2 because it's not realistic and not happening.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)

Why are you arguing against the sox shooting high? The Reds guy has more value, and should cost more, but that doesnt mean the sox should start with a lowball offer. There have been plenty of times that GMs have lost their damn minds in the middle of a pennant race and traded away very valuable prospects out of desperation, Cubs getting Addison Russell for Captain of Attitude comes to mind.

And mind you, im not saying the Sox are gonna get a top 20 prospect for DRob, but I see nothign wrong with shooting high and meeting in the middle

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 12:46 PM)

And the Sox can add in any of their other arms.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 11:53 AM)
And the Sox can add in any of their other arms.

For the Sox to acquire a Soto level prospect I don't think it can happen without including Kahnle. Include him in the deal, or do Robertson + salary relief + Swarzak and things start to get very interesting.

I am confused on Soto because I dont really keep up with any minor league stats. Is he not the catcher who just a couple months ago people were saying is going to be a solid back up in the league for a long time? Is his numbers and reputation skyrocketed that high in a couple of months to basically be an untouchable in a trade for the best available closer to a team that is in desperation?

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
I am confused on Soto because I dont really keep up with any minor league stats. Is he not the catcher who just a couple months ago people were saying is going to be a solid back up in the league for a long time? Is his numbers and reputation skyrocketed that high in a couple of months to basically be an untouchable in a trade for the best available closer to a team that is in desperation?

That is Severino. And he's been awful in AAA this year.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)

The player you're thinking of is Pedro Severino who is actually having a disastrous year at AAA.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 10:58 AM)

No he is the OF prospect who just jumped into the a top 15 list for all propects.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 12:00 PM)
The player you're thinking of is Pedro Severino who is actually having a disastrous year at AAA.

Ahh I knew something didnt seem right with that. LOL Even by soxtalk standards of fickleness.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)
Why are you arguing against the sox shooting high? The Reds guy has more value, and should cost more, but that doesnt mean the sox should start with a lowball offer

I'm not arguing against them shooting high and I agree they should neither start (and this is beyond the start) nor accept a lowball offer.

I am arguing for being realistic, esp. as other relievers start crowding the market.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 12:01 PM)
Ahh I knew something didnt seem right with that. LOL Even by soxtalk standards of fickleness.

I think soxtalk way overrated how difficult it would be to find a defensive first catcher. It is true only when we commit such a low budget to it, like we have. But if we were so good and the only need we had was a good defensive catcher *regardless of offense*, it would be very attainable.

Sorry for those who see that there is recent post and are let down after clicking in here lol

But who takes over for closer when Robertson is dealt? Trying to get a jump on fantasy baseball to add another closer. I personally think it will be Kahnle unless a team overpays for him in July.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 09:28 AM)
Sorry for those who see that there is recent post and are let down after clicking in here lol

But who takes over for closer when Robertson is dealt? Trying to get a jump on fantasy baseball to add another closer. I personally think it will be Kahnle unless a team overpays for him in July.

Will definitely be Kahnle with Jones out for the foreseeable future. But if they were to deal Kahnle too, god only knows who the next man up would be.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 09:47 AM)
Will definitely be Kahnle with Jones out for the foreseeable future. But if they were to deal Kahnle too, god only knows who the next man up would be.

With all of the other trades the White Sox have to be making before this deadline, I just can't see them being able to put together a deal that accurately reflects the value of Kahnle from their point of view.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 09:51 AM)
With all of the other trades the White Sox have to be making before this deadline, I just can't see them being able to put together a deal that accurately reflects the value of Kahnle from their point of view.

Yeah, I'm starting to lean that way too. It's especially hard when you're dealing multiple assets of the same type, as Hahn will be doing with Robertson & Swarzak definitely being shopped. I think Hahn will listen to offers, but would ultimately have to be overwhelmed to move him. There is logic in letting him be the closer for two months and believing his value may skyrocket in the offseason if successful.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 09:58 AM)
Yeah, I'm starting to lean that way too. It's especially hard when you're dealing multiple assets of the same type, as Hahn will be doing with Robertson & Swarzak definitely being shopped. I think Hahn will listen to offers, but would ultimately have to be overwhelmed to move him. There is logic in letting him be the closer for two months and believing his value may skyrocket in the offseason if successful.

At a minimum the White Sox are looking to trade

Melky

Frazier

Swarzak

Pelfrey

Holland

Gonzalez

We also know that the rest of MLB really wants Q and Robertson at the very least. Teams have also asked about Abreu for sure.

That is nine different players right there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 10:06 AM)
At a minimum the White Sox are looking to trade

Melky

Frazier

Swarzak

Pelfrey

Holland

Gonzalez

We also know that the rest of MLB really wants Q and Robertson at the very least. Teams have also asked about Abreu for sure.

That is nine different players right there.

I don't see the Sox getting all that much for the above players, outside of Quintana/Robertson.

Melky and Frazier just do not have much value, with the slight edge going to Frazier in value.

Pelfrey/Holland/Gonzalez are pretty much worthless via trade

Swarzak might get you a piece like Duke did last year, or be a throw in as a part of a larger deal.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 10:29 AM)
I don't see the Sox getting all that much for the above players, outside of Quintana/Robertson.

Melky and Frazier just do not have much value, with the slight edge going to Frazier in value.

Swarzak might get you a piece like Duke did last year, or be a throw in as a part of a larger deal.

All this means is that it will be harder, not easier to make other deals.

You're pretty much looking at PTBNL and guys who have struggled in the minors. Scouts gotta dig deep for some hidden gems that could be available.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 09:51 AM)

Wholeheartedly agree. It would have to be an overwhelming offer IMO. Personally he's the one guy I really don't want traded...unless another team insists on him in a package but that trade WILL cost that team top pick(s).

That would be fine - although a guy lower in the minors and less developed with higher ceiling would be a preferable demographic. The Sox have a lot of so-so AAA prospects.

I would think a package for Kahnle roughly equivalent to what they would get for Robertson would be something that have to consider closely, although it probably won't be offered.