Is this off-season the time to add a cheap 1b?

caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 01:22 PM)
You have a history of going off topic, and this topic bounced from one thing to another so fast that I couldn't keep any sense of it. That's all people are insinuating.

Horses***.

Have you guys seen the new Vegas Knights jerseys? It's 115 in Vegas today, and I have a bit of chaffing going on. I walked in to a bike shop to get some chaffing cream the other day and my wife yells out MY HUSBAND NEEDS CHAFFING CREAM FOR HIS BALLS. I seriously think the ball is juiced right now. Homers are wayyyy up since like 2015. We should have traded Sale for Bellinger. Wouldn't you rather have Bellinger than Moncada right now? I suppose Bellinger doesn't speak Spanish though, so who knows if we would have gotten Robert. Who is better, Moncada and Robert, or Bellinger and Urias?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 07:34 PM)
Horses***.

Have you guys seen the new Vegas Knights jerseys? It's 115 in Vegas today, and I have a bit of chaffing going on. I walked in to a bike shop to get some chaffing cream the other day and my wife yells out MY HUSBAND NEEDS CHAFFING CREAM FOR HIS BALLS. I seriously think the ball is juiced right now. Homers are wayyyy up since like 2015. We should have traded Sale for Bellinger. Wouldn't you rather have Bellinger than Moncada right now? I suppose Bellinger doesn't speak Spanish though, so who knows if we would have gotten Robert. Who is better, Moncada and Robert, or Bellinger and Urias?

:o

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 06:34 PM)
Horses***.

POTY.

I dont really think so. Of course those "swing change first basemen" out there are no bad pieces (like Alonso, bour, morrison) but they are all already or around 30 and really not much of an upgrade over abreu.

Also the sox have a lot of corner types in their system already, the focus now should be on up the middle talent, which is something the Sox still severely lack in their system. Apart from moncada and Robert there are really no prospects that have the potential for elite defense and bat up the middle positions.

Power and on base percentage is very important in the modern game but you now also need defense and athleticism as well as production up the middle.just a collection of big sluggers who can get on base a little is not enough anymore (see this year's Oakland A's who slug like crazy but lose all the time).

You need power in these days but since everyone hits for power now it is not that much of a difference maker anymore as it was 5 years ago. 5 years ago you could punt defense and win with good on base sluggers but today small second basemen hit 20 bombs so that doesnt work anymore.The trend now is powerful teams that are also athletic and great in the field (like the Cubs last year).

I don't think it is bad that Hahn got a few hopefully solid on base and power pieces with burger, collins and sheets as a foundation for the offense but now the Sox need up the middle position talent that can hit and field. Not everyone can have a machado, seager, correa, bryant or arenado but that is the type of player that dominates the game in 2017 and not guys like Giambi or so anymore like in 2000.

Edited by GermanSock

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 09:57 AM)
Given what he will likely get in free agency and the actual value he would add, Hosmer might be the worst player they could sign. The only thing that's changed from this year compared to last is a little better luck on batted balls. Also, Hosmer is not very good defensively, as in, just as bad if not worse than Abreu.

I agree with much of this post... but the defense

Is that sarcasm about the defense?

Hosmer won the gold glove at 1B 3 straight years...

QUOTE (harkness @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 07:24 AM)

No offense, my friend, but the Gold Glove award being a joke is one of the only things that ALL baseball fans, from all eras and walks of life, can agree upon.

QUOTE (harkness @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 08:24 AM)

Jeter also won a bunch of gold gloves. Hosmer is very poor defensively. Absolutely no range at all.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)
Jeter also won a bunch of gold gloves. Hosmer is very poor defensively. Absolutely no range at all.

Rafael Palmerio won it in a year where he played 1B 28-- yes 28 times-- and DH'd the rest.

I know I would much rather have Jose Abreu than Brandon Belt. And I like Brandon Belt, he certainly adds a lot both offensively and defensively, but at first, I would rather have the intimidating power bat.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 10:16 AM)
Rafael Palmerio won it in a year where he played 1B 28-- yes 28 times-- and DH'd the rest.

I know I would much rather have Jose Abreu than Brandon Belt. And I like Brandon Belt, he certainly adds a lot both offensively and defensively, but at first, I would rather have the intimidating power bat.

I think you're underselling Belt's bat here. It's not his fault he plays in a home stadium that is death to left-handed power hitters.

C'mon... yeah yeah the gold glove probably doesn't always go to the best defender. I've been around the gold glove arguments plenty of times....

But a poor defender? I have trouble believing that. Over its history I'd say a larger portion of the winners are great to good to avg.. I know about derek Jeter...

Edited by harkness

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
I think you're underselling Belt's bat here. It's not his fault he plays in a home stadium that is death to left-handed power hitters.

Didn't mean to do that, called out that he adds a lot offensively. With that said, Belt's career high OPS (868) is lower than Abreu's career avg (872). Now Belt had a better OPS last year, spurred on by over 100 BBs and over 40 2B. But it is dangerous to measure Belt by last year as he had career bests in H, 2B, 3B, BB (by a super wide margin), RBI, OBP and OPS. He has also had number fluctuate between OPSs of .755-.868. He is also in the midst of a pretty poor season currently. I will take the steadiness and production of Abreu anyday.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
Didn't mean to do that, called out that he adds a lot offensively. With that said, Belt's career high OPS (868) is lower than Abreu's career avg (872). Now Belt had a better OPS last year, spurred on by over 100 BBs and over 40 2B. But it is dangerous to measure Belt by last year as he had career bests in H, 2B, 3B, BB (by a super wide margin), RBI, OBP and OPS. He has also had number fluctuate between OPSs of .755-.868. He is also in the midst of a pretty poor season currently. I will take the steadiness and production of Abreu anyday.

Ahh yes, but you haven't considered park factors.

If you use wRC+ (which includes park factors), you'll see Belt as a career 127 and Abreu as a career 136. Still better, but a much smaller difference, and one that is almost certainly erased by defense.

I'm not arguing for getting rid of Abreu, just sayin'

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 01:32 PM)
Ahh yes, but you haven't considered park factors.

If you use wRC+ (which includes park factors), you'll see Belt as a career 127 and Abreu as a career 136. Still better, but a much smaller difference, and one that is almost certainly erased by defense.

I'm not arguing for getting rid of Abreu, just sayin'

Clearly PNC is one of the worst hitter's parks in the bigs, and some of those doubles and triples would certainly be HRs elsewhere. I would still take Abreu though, but that is just me. I think there is room for both he and Avi in the future. One as a DH and one as 1B or both as both.