Who Should Be In The Lineup Next Year?

Lillian

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 09:14 AM)
That's like a whose who of the worst framing catchers, but a reminder that Narvaez is 3rd from last, so only way to go is up (unless we sign Lucroy).

Maybe Baltimore will trade Caleb Joseph for someone marginal.

I could see Lucroy considering a 1 year deal to rebuild some value, perhaps with a player option a-la Wieters this year. Not sure he'd do that with a 60 win team though. Haven't paid attention to who needs a catcher this coming offseason.

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 08:25 AM)
I don't understand the thought process behind those that "don't believe" it's a rebuild and JR is just being cheap, and wanting to spend bad money on free agents just to prove a point. JD Martinez? Jake Arrieta? Those are bad long term investments for all 30 MLB teams.

I saw that post and thought the notion seemed pretty absurd. We are not going to spend any significant money in free agency. We will be dollar store shoppers this offseason.

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 09:25 AM)
I don't understand the thought process behind those that "don't believe" it's a rebuild and JR is just being cheap, and wanting to spend bad money on free agents just to prove a point. JD Martinez? Jake Arrieta? Those are bad long term investments for all 30 MLB teams.

Not to mention he pointed out that the sox are stuck with Shields and Clippard because of their long term contracts. Let's go ahead and commit some more bad money to win a few more games yay!

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 09:25 AM)

Decades of grudges are hard to overcome.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
With the number of young pitchers we should have entering next year's rotation I won't scream "ick" at the concept of a veteran catcher, there are a couple guys in there who are good at handling pitching staffs (Tyler Flowers, Kurt Suzuki perhaps?, Lucroy, Wieters), but I dunno that I have a lot more confidence in any of them than the pair we currently have.

Flowers option will be picked up.

Suzuki and Wieters are two of the worst framers in the game. Thought Wieters is interesting enough.

Lucroy is probably going to get expensive. Too expensive for the Sox in their current situation.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 09:34 AM)
We will be dollar store shoppers this offseason.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see the Sox sign basically no one to a ML deals. Maybe a couple cheap pen arms to flip. Other than that, our positions are pretty covered with dudes that need ML at bats. Plenty of rotation options, though I suppose I could see a scrapheap signing ala Holland to make Giolito, Fulmer, Guerrero and Stephens earn their chances down in Charlotte.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)

Suzuki and Wieters are two of the worst framers in the game. Thought Wieters is interesting enough.

Lucroy is probably going to get expensive. Too expensive for the Sox in their current situation.

Lucroy used to be a good framer but he's rated as the worst in the game this year. There's an article on the Ringer that talks about how he no longer crouches as low as he used to and doesn't stay as still as he used to when catching pitches. And at his age I wouldn't bet on his framing skill coming back. Even if the money made sense I'd want the Sox to stay away.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)

Honestly, if he will consider a 1-year deal, pillow type contract to try to rebuild value, I would consider signing him. Our payroll will be so low next year anyway.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 09:18 AM)
I could see Lucroy considering a 1 year deal to rebuild some value, perhaps with a player option a-la Wieters this year. Not sure he'd do that with a 60 win team though. Haven't paid attention to who needs a catcher this coming offseason.

Good thing about a 60-win team is they are more likely to trade you to a 90 win team if you do well, vs signing to a bubble 75-78 win team that misses playoffs.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 10:55 AM)
Good thing about a 60-win team is they are more likely to trade you to a 90 win team if you do well, vs signing to a bubble 75-78 win team that misses playoffs.

Lucroy might struggle to get a major league contract after how poor his season has been. He has is a below replacement level player. Anything more than a 1 year deal is not happening.