Who Should Be In The Lineup Next Year?

Lillian

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 04:14 PM)
Well, as a first round draft pick I'd say he deserves MLB at bats, a look so to say. I guess I'm wrong from what I've read on here, but lets say the guy could hit 35 home runs a year minimum with the prpoer at bats for the next 5 seasons. Whose career would compare at that point? Almost 200 home runs in the bigs, not so bad. I do think many first rounders deserve a look, although Fields like witesoxfan said was a first rounder and CJ Henry too.

Well, your invoking the name of Fields wins you this argument at least temporarily. Yes Fields was a first round draft pick also. Yes Fields did have the 23 home run season right off the bat then sucked big time. Your identifying Shields as a possible clone does indeed win you this argument. Cause if he indeed is the next Fields, then he blows. In a debate, no question, the revelation of Shields as a comparison or precedent case if you will, gives you the victory in this argument. If I start thinking of Davidson as Fields I will definitely despise him, soon, rather than have hopes he is a 35 homer guy the next 5 seasons minimum.

I'm not down on Moncada. You making that up? I'm just upset that the darlings we get in trades are going to get all sorts of support on here and a guy like Davidson (who also was a first rounder; I'd think the first round cliche would help him with fans) will draw yawns even if he hits 30 homers this year. My position for the record is I'm against the rebuild but as a "fan" I have the right to cheer for the product if and when it succeeds no matter if I supported the move to begin with. I have nothing against a potential outfield of Eloy, Robert and Rutherford with Q or somebody else at DH. I have nothing against an infield of Burger, TA, Moncada and Abreu and Collins catching and all those arms in the rotation. I don't know where you got my Moncada hate from. I'll never understand many fans always wanting the unknown over what is known.

Greg, are Chris Carter and Pedro Alvarez successful big leaguers?

Compare the walk totals of Matt, with say, Joey Gallo and Schwarber, per at bat.

What stands out about his game defensively?

Is he a good baserunner?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 03:59 PM)
He's an interesting guy, and definitely one the Sox should be taking a look at.

Problem is, he kind of sucks.

He plays many positions and is slashing .284/.338/.418 with a .756 OPS. I too think that he can be a good utility player.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 11:18 PM)
Greg, are Chris Carter and Pedro Alvarez successful big leaguers?

Compare the walk totals of Matt, with say, Joey Gallo and Schwarber, per at bat.

What stands out about his game defensively?

Is he a good baserunner?

You guys win. Davidson is a non prospect. I move on to the next argument at some point. I will be interested to see as an addendum how quickly you guys give up on Burger if ever if he doesn't look so hot in peripheral stats after 300 at bats.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 04:22 PM)
You guys win. Davidson is a non prospect. I move on to the next argument at some point. I will be interested to see as an addendum how quickly you guys give up on Burger if ever if he doesn't look so hot in peripheral stats after 300 at bats.

We'll try it another way...

Which player would you rather have on the White Sox, Matt Davidson or Whit Merrifield?

Other than power, what advantages does Davidson provide?

Or Leury Garcia vs. Davidson, would you start both of them for the Sox? (Davidson at third, Leury somewhere in outfield.)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 05:25 PM)
He doesn't excite me either, but if somehow he & Engel are your best two options for LF & CF, then it should hands down be Engel in CF & Tilson in LF.

And I am wondering what happened to Avi, Willy, Cordell, Delmonico, and Liriano, among others.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 04:34 PM)
And I am wondering what happened to Avi, Willy, Cordell, Delmonico, and Liriano, among others.

Cordell could be the next Aaron Altherr...he has to play everyday at his age to see what they actually have.

And do they have any remaining love for Asche or just DFA?

Hayes and Gillespie, too.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 04:46 PM)
CF Adam Tilson

2B Yoan Tilson

1B Jose Tilson

RF Avi Tilson

3B Matt Tilson

LF Ryan Tilson

DH Nicky Tilson

C Omar Tilson

SS Tim Tilson

All the Tilsons.

You missed the most common one out there, Leury Tilson.

Can find one in nearly every US phonebook, just like there are 32 different towns and cities named Clinton in America.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 05:48 PM)
You missed the most common one out there, Leury Tilson.

Can find one in nearly every US phonebook, just like there are 32 different towns and cities named Clinton in America.

I got Leury Tilson, or as he likes to be called, Larry Tilson, penciled in as the 4th OF and emergency bullpen arm.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 04:51 PM)
I got Leury Tilson, or as he likes to be called, Larry Tilson, penciled in as the 4th OF and emergency bullpen arm.

He'll easily get 10-15 relief appearances next year.

Guess it depends on your definition of "emergency."

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 11:56 PM)
If Davidson could play an average 3B he'd be a plus 1-2 WAR player.

Another Matt fan here? Cool. Two in the club. Good job Mr. Davidson. Another home run, 22, creeping u closer to 30 and another game-winning hit for a wretched ballclub. Since I've been convinced by the board that Matt is nothing, I looked up if he's already earned his MLB pension. Answer is yes. Good for matt.

Rule says: "MLB players must play 43 days in the majors to earn a minimum $34,000 annual pension plan. Just one day in the majors gets them lifetime healthcare coverage. After 10 years in the big leagues, benefits grow to $100,000 annually." No matter what a free 34,000 a year and lifetime healthcare; not a bad start to go with his minimum salary of 500,000 or so. Keep it truckin Matt. Prove 'em all wrong.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 08:30 PM)
Another Matt fan here? Cool. Two in the club. Good job Mr. Davidson. Another home run, 22, creeping u closer to 30 and another game-winning hit for a wretched ballclub. Since I've been convinced by the board that Matt is nothing, I looked up if he's already earned his MLB pension. Answer is yes. Good for matt.

Rule says: "MLB players must play 43 days in the majors to earn a minimum $34,000 annual pension plan. Just one day in the majors gets them lifetime healthcare coverage. After 10 years in the big leagues, benefits grow to $100,000 annually." No matter what a free 34,000 a year and lifetime healthcare; not a bad start to go with his minimum salary of 500,000 or so. Keep it truckin Matt. Prove 'em all wrong.

There are also things to like about Davidson besides the power, He does use all fields. He is not strictly a pull hitter . He also made adjustments that have obviously paid off in his hit tool. He may never get the K rate below 25% but I think he'll become a more selective hitter as he learns the league. HR's still are the most effective way to get runs .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 1, 2017 -> 04:02 AM)
There are also things to like about Davidson besides the power, He does use all fields. He is not strictly a pull hitter . He also made adjustments that have obviously paid off in his hit tool. He may never get the K rate below 25% but I think he'll become a more selective hitter as he learns the league. HR's still are the most effective way to get runs .

I'd think being a first-round draft pick would have the stat people in his corner, but boy oh boy I found out what people think of Matt. I just wonder how they'd feel about him if he was one of the guys acquired in all the trades this year. On a team this wretched, if I had to pick a jersey to buy/wear for this horrific last-place season, I'd wear the jersey of Matt Davidson. OK, Jose Abreu, but Davidson would be in my top five picks for jersey.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 10:30 PM)

Count me in the Matt Batt-alion as well

Greg, I'm rooting for Matt as well. However, my hope is that he establishes himself as a bonafide slugger, who could be used as a trade chip, to net something needed

for that juggernaut squad, which Hahn is putting together for 2020. I suspect that sluggers will not be in short supply on that team.

I'm sort of surprised people are even remotely suggesting either Engel or Tilson as starting in front of Leury next year. Neither of those two guys are elite prospects by any stretch, and Leury has really made a nice breakthrough at the Major League level this year. I think a starting position in the outfield is his to lose at this point.

QUOTE (harkness @ Aug 5, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
engel is great defensively.. but I'm troubled by the fact that he can't hit a fast ball down the middle of the plate.

I don't think Engel ever figures it out offensively and I would definitely play Luery over him in CF next year. And I honestly think Willy, Delmonico, & Cordell all deserve playing time over him in LF as well. Best case scenario IMO is Engel hits enough to be a solid 4th OF.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 5, 2017 -> 11:55 AM)
I don't think Engel ever figures it out offensively and I would definitely play Luery over him in CF next year. And I honestly think Willy, Delmonico, & Cordell all deserve playing time over him in LF as well. Best case scenario IMO is Engel hits enough to be a solid 4th OF.

Any way we could just combine Delmonico's bat and Engel's glove?