2017-2018 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a reminder, again, that the eagles and bears both fired their longtime, couldn’t get over the hump coaches at the same time. Since then:

- the eagles hired Kelly, made playoffs twice, completely remade roster, fired kelly

- bears hired trestman, made playoffs zero times

- bears hire fox, overhaul roster, finish in last place 3 straight years

- Eagles hire Pederson, overhaul roster, are 10-1 in year 2

The rot in organizations run deep

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 03:39 PM)
Alshon Jeffery is exhibit A if I had to explain to the McCaskeys why firing Fox isn't enough. It seems for every decent move Pace makes, he offsets it with something unbelievably ridiculous.

I totally disagree with this. Yes, the Bears are weak at WR, but Alshon Jeffery was not a good fit for the Bears. The last 2 years he only played 21 games. He was regularly injured. He has a PED suspension on his record. He's a solid #2 receiver on a good team when he's healthy. If he were on the Bears their WR corps was going to be better than this but it would still be awful, they wouldn't be anywhere close to a playoff team, and I've still got no confidence he would be on the field right now on the Bears as some guys just get hurt more in certain roles (i.e. #1 WR).

The Bears are going to have to spend at that position, but Alshon Jeffery was not a good fit and they will be better off aiming for some other WR either in the draft or elsewhere.

You want to be frustrated, be frustrated that they spent $15 million on Glennon when Kaepernick was available for a ton less than that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
I totally disagree with this. Yes, the Bears are weak at WR, but Alshon Jeffery was not a good fit for the Bears. The last 2 years he only played 21 games. He was regularly injured. He has a PED suspension on his record. He's a solid #2 receiver on a good team when he's healthy. If he were on the Bears their WR corps was going to be better than this but it would still be awful, they wouldn't be anywhere close to a playoff team, and I've still got no confidence he would be on the field right now on the Bears as some guys just get hurt more in certain roles (i.e. #1 WR).

The Bears are going to have to spend at that position, but Alshon Jeffery was not a good fit and they will be better off aiming for some other WR either in the draft or elsewhere.

You want to be frustrated, be frustrated that they spent $15 million on Glennon when Kaepernick was available for a ton less than that.

Markus Wheaton does have a catch this year.

By all reports Alshon was not happy in chicago and just wanted out so Pace did not pursue or tag him. The problem is they didn’t replace him with anyone that could replicate his production and hoped White would be better.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 02:18 PM)
You can be mad at them for their choices of signings, but I for one don't miss Alshon Jeffery.

It would be nice if the Bears actually had NFL level receivers to help with their #1 pick's development. Jeffery was that. Whether he wanted to be there or not isn't really relevant. The team held all the cards.

I will admit not having any receivers does help make the coaching staff look stupid. But IMO, the issue is far deeper than that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 04:50 PM)
It would be nice if the Bears actually had NFL level receivers to help with their #1 pick's development. Jeffery was that. Whether he wanted to be there or not isn't really relevant. The team held all the cards.

I will admit not having any receivers does help make the coaching staff look stupid. But IMO, the issue is far deeper than that.

Like I said, signing Garcon and Kaepernick would have given them a veteran WR and a veteran QB, at least for the first half of the season before Garcon got hurt, and they would have cost less together than they spent on Glennon.

You can't blame this game on Fox, but if the Bears are going to let him go after the season, they really should let him go now. Get a look at Fangio leading the team. They had 10,000 no shows vs Detroit, and might have double that next week vs. SF. Let Vic run that game and it might even make some more show up. The Christmas Eve game vs. Cleveland might set a team record for fan no shows.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 03:04 PM)
This is basically the same feeling I got watching NE and Green Bay hang back to back 50 point games

Yup. The first year with Fox they showed a competitiveness that was missing during the end of the Trestman era. Now it's gone and we are back to the same spot as 3 years ago.

With 100x worse play calling. You can't develop a young QB if you don't let him throw the ball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 02:18 PM)
You can be mad at them for their choices of signings, but I for one don't miss Alshon Jeffery.

He was and still isn't worth 16 million per year. He signed for less money with the Eagles than what the Bears were offering in a multi-year deal.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 02:50 PM)

This is true. however, I don't think I would have signed him for the 16 million franchise tag either.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 03:10 PM)
You can't blame this game on Fox, but if the Bears are going to let him go after the season, they really should let him go now. Get a look at Fangio leading the team. They had 10,000 no shows vs Detroit, and might have double that next week vs. SF. Let Vic run that game and it might even make some more show up. The Christmas Eve game vs. Cleveland might set a team record for fan no shows.

I like this idea.

Nobody's writing off Trubisky already, but what I've seen doesn't look promising. The guy has a bunch of the traits of Cutler on the field. He's a) inaccurate b) has sloppy mechanics/footwork c) supposedly has a rocket arm and played college ball at a non football school in a power 5 conference. Trubisky has to really prove otherwise in order to make me believe in him as a starter in the NFL. I will continue to say it, but you know who the guys who are going to be the great ones are from the moment they take the field. They throw receivers open, make the offensive line look better than it is and make big plays at crunch time. Do they still make mistakes early? Yeah. But the traits are there. I don't see those traits in Trubisky. 2018 is huge for Trubisky and Pace. If Trubisky continues to be below average to bad, Pace is gone.

Pace also needs to get new pro scouts because his FA signings suck.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 07:12 PM)
Nobody's writing off Trubisky already, but what I've seen doesn't look promising. The guy has a bunch of the traits of Cutler on the field. He's a) inaccurate b) has sloppy mechanics/footwork c) supposedly has a rocket arm and played college ball at a non football school in a power 5 conference. Trubisky has to really prove otherwise in order to make me believe in him as a starter in the NFL. I will continue to say it, but you know who the guys who are going to be the great ones are from the moment they take the field. They throw receivers open, make the offensive line look better than it is and make big plays at crunch time. Do they still make mistakes early? Yeah. But the traits are there. I don't see those traits in Trubisky. 2018 is huge for Trubisky and Pace. If Trubisky continues to be below average to bad, Pace is gone.

And I’m sure you saw those last year in Jared Goff, right? Go away

Edited by soxfan49

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 07:12 PM)

Dude, you wrote him off after his first game, no lie. You talked about drafting another quarterback and said Trubisky doesn’t have “it”, so spare me your “nobody’s writing off Trubisky” crap.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 08:45 PM)
Dude, you wrote him off after his first game, no lie. You talked about drafting another quarterback and said Trubisky doesn’t have “it”, so spare me your “nobody’s writing off Trubisky” crap.

The last 2 weeks made me change my mind a bit. I was more hopeful after the GB/DET games, but this one made it come crashing down. Do I think he's going to be really good? No. Could I be wrong? Yes. The definition of "The jury is still out"

It doesn't change the fact that the great ones make things happen the moment they take the field. Do they make rookie mistakes as rookies? Of course, but there is more good than bad. Not so for Trubisky.

Go watch Wentz's first 3 starts and then go watch Trubisky's first 3. Night and day.

I wish I could go back and watch the first 3 starts of QBs who were really solid for a long time. I'd bet you'd find things in common.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 08:56 PM)
The last 2 weeks made me change my mind a bit. I was more hopeful after the GB/DET games, but this one made it come crashing down. Do I think he's going to be really good? No. Could I be wrong? Yes. The definition of "The jury is still out"

It doesn't change the fact that the great ones make things happen the moment they take the field. Do they make rookie mistakes as rookies? Of course, but there is more good than bad. Not so for Trubisky.

Go watch Wentz's first 3 starts and then go watch Trubisky's first 3. Night and day.

I wish I could go back and watch the first 3 starts of QBs who were really solid for a long time. I'd bet you'd find things in common.

Come on, there is no metric based on first three starts that correlates to anything. Brady was mediocre, Manning’s entire first season was an interception filled nightmare, Farve was good but by no means blowing the doors off anyone. The last two games changed your mind and then when he faces one of the best defenses in the league with a completely inept offensive coordinator and a s***ty bunch of WRs and all the sudden you are back at “well the great ones all have “it” and they are able to carry teams the minute they get into their first start” crap

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 08:56 PM)

Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning beg to differ