Jose Abreu with 1st Sox cycle in 17 years

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 08:18 PM)
Jose Abreu has skills that don't always age particularly well, while Lorenzo Cain does.

Jose Abreu is a good player and will likely provide positive value until he is 36 or 37. There is reason to look to sign Abreu to an extension.

Cain gets hurt fairly regularly though. Glad to hear from a supporter that seeks an extension for Abreu.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 03:31 PM)
Cain gets hurt fairly regularly though. Glad to hear from a supporter that seeks an extension for Abreu.

I wouldn't be upset if they extended him as long as it was a fairly modest extension. I wouldn't like a really long extension for him though.

/dickjokes

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 03:57 PM)
I wouldn't be upset if they extended him as long as it was a fairly modest extension. I wouldn't like a really long extension for him though.

/dickjokes

If they can't extend him through 2021 then they should really push to trade him. I think that could fit for both sides.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 02:26 PM)
Since we're discussing Jose's salary and worth, I looked up some things. Here is how my mind works as an eye test, traditional stat guy and not an advanced stat guy and also NOT an age guy. Many people on this site (most?) are advanced stat people, definitely age people and definitely not eye test people.

Jose turns 31 in January. So because of him being old by "new" age baseball standards, I'm of the opinion 'most' Sox fans would not want to pay him anything significant. He's ARB the next two years and free agent in 2020. There's no way in hell any new-age fan is going to want to sign him for the 2020 season at anything more than 8-10 million a year. Tell me if I'm wrong. My point is: They'll be OK if he gets paid decent bucks in arb. the next two seasons as we continue to lose, but if fans have their way NO WAY JOSE will be part of the rebuild.

My question to you is ... some teams still will sign guys like Jose. Why in the hell would they do that entering his age 34 season? We're not the only organization that has an advanced stat fan base and front office that considers anybody over 32 OLD OLD OLD. So who is gonna pay these guys? What teams will want a 34 year old Jose at the 15-20 a mill pricetag in 2020? I would say by then Sox fans would be OK with 6-10 mill a year MAX for Jose going forward.

Now Please comment on these Royals.

Hosmer: Free agent turns 28 in October. Hmmm, most fans would be in favor of signing him 3 years max at about 20 mill a year. After that he's getting old. What do you say he's worth? Is Boras going to get him a Verlander like deal? Do the big money teams give him 7 years, 25 to 30 mill a year?? He'll be mighty old at the end of that 7 year deal.

Moustakas: Free agent turned 29 on Sept. 11. Hmmm, getting old by fan standards. Again, I'd suspect most fans would be 'OK' with 3 years at 15-20 mill a year for Moustakas. What team is gonna give him 7 year deal at 20 to 25 mill a year?? He'll be 36 and a bum at the end of that deal if you go by the age police.

Finally, Cain: Free agent turns 32 in April. My gosh that is OLDDDDDDD. He has good advanced stats this year, horrible traditional stats of 49 RBI. Now according to the new wave baseball age police he's way too old to get a good deal now. Fans happy with 8 mill a year the next 3 years? But will the Mets or Yankees or somebody give him a 6-year deal at 18-20 mill a year?? What say you? I want to be educated on how age factors in what fans think nowadays.

Don't forget, Cespedes got a 4 year deal at about 26 mill a year last offseason. He's been hurt. Had a horrible year by traditional stats, good WAR.

I actually agree with Greg here. If you can extend him for like 4/$70 million I think you do it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 10:07 AM)
It's amazing it's only the 6th cycle in team history.

The other amazing thing was last week when the Sox went back to back to start the game, it was only the 3rd time ever they did that.

I would have lost a bet on both of those. I would have thought the actual numbers were triple that.