Jose Abreu with 1st Sox cycle in 17 years

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 10:07 AM)
It's amazing it's only the 6th cycle in team history.

The other amazing thing was last week when the Sox went back to back to start the game, it was only the 3rd time ever they did that.

Also amazing:

Tim Anderson was one double away from a cycle

The sox had 3(!!!) players with a home run and a triple (Yolmer, TA, Abreu)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 08:59 AM)
I've actually made posts critical of the board for giving Jose TOO much praise during his struggles. I guess me and greg have been posting on two different soxtalk.com message boards.

greg is basically yelling at a cloud, arguing against a stance no one has taken.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 10:07 AM)
It's amazing it's only the 6th cycle in team history.

The other amazing thing was last week when the Sox went back to back to start the game, it was only the 3rd time ever they did that.

I want to know how many cycles actually finish on the triple. Seems like cycle watch always begins when someone has a triple to start the game. Incredible to finish it off with one, especially for a slower big guy.

Jose Abreu has been awesome this year. He's hitting .302/.353/.556. His .255 ISO is highest it's been since his first season. OPS+ of 140, wOBA of .378, wRC+ of 138. He's accumulated 3.5 fWAR and 3.9 bWAR. He's a bad defender. He's having a really good season though. He's been the 6th best 1B in baseball this season. The only guy that's been better in the AL is Eric Hosmer. Hosmer is putting up a .328/.393/.517 with a .387 wOBA and 141 wRC+. He's sporting an abnormally high .365 BABIP still though and his ISO is 60 points lower than Jose's.

QUOTE (bjm676 @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
I was at the game Saturday night. Really fun game. I've never seen a cycle in person, let alone 6 homers. Even rarer, James Shields allowing only 1 run.

Shields and Fulmer really pitched well, although SF looked like a team going through the motions. OTOH, a lack of offense does make you look like you don't really care.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 08:36 AM)
I want to know how many cycles actually finish on the triple. Seems like cycle watch always begins when someone has a triple to start the game. Incredible to finish it off with one, especially for a slower big guy.

Who had also just fouled a pitch off his ankle and was in obvious pain.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 03:10 PM)
greg is basically yelling at a cloud, arguing against a stance no one has taken.

I've sensed a lot of anti Abreu talk on the site. You haven't? People want him traded. People ignoring his 31/90 like it's nothing. I've given people a chance on my praise Jose posts. Silence. You haven't read the posts saying if we can get anything good get rid of Jose? I've said we need some hard core older White Sox when we get good again to go with the kids. Silence.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 03:15 PM)
I am baffled by the posters who still argue Greg isn't a troll. I think they got so numb to his deliberately ignorant and/or silly posts that they no longer even bother to read them. No idea why more people don't block him.

Why would you block a die-hard Sox fan. Cause his opinion differs from yours? Sure I get mad when I feel like people are dissing Abreu and Davidson. I get frustrated. So I keep trying to sway opinion or at least get somebody to offer some praise, in this case Jose and/or Davidson.

Now a guy like Saladino? In the past I praised him as well. People said he was utility at best. They were right. I was wrong. I admit it and shut up. Saladino is no good. I do agree.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 05:14 PM)
I've sensed a lot of anti Abreu talk on the site. You haven't? People want him traded. People ignoring his 31/90 like it's nothing. I've given people a chance on my praise Jose posts. Silence. You haven't read the posts saying if we can get anything good get rid of Jose? I've said we need some hard core older White Sox when we get good again to go with the kids. Silence.

Why would you block a die-hard Sox fan. Cause his opinion differs from yours? Sure I get mad when I feel like people are dissing Abreu and Davidson. I get frustrated. So I keep trying to sway opinion or at least get somebody to offer some praise, in this case Jose and/or Davidson.

Now a guy like Saladino? In the past I praised him as well. People said he was utility at best. They were right. I was wrong. I admit it and shut up. Saladino is no good. I do agree.

You literally just proved his point about yelling at a cloud and made up some story about people on this site not appreciating Abreu

And Pants Rowland can't read your reply because he blocked you

No but when someone floats around opinions such as Tim Anderson should be moved to catcher people tend to not want to waste their time reading that.

Absolutely not. There was one poster who extremely disliked him and he has changed his tune. Like I said earlier, when Jose had some struggles, I always thought Soxtalk gave him way too much of the benefit of the doubt, which I hadn't think he earned. That's because he has so many fans here.

Let's be honest, this has nothing to do with Jose Abreu and everything to do with your personal vendetta against "sabes". That's why you mention his 31 HR and 90 RBI, because you want the "sabes" to say those stats mean nothing. Instead everyone keeps praising Jose, which the advanced hitting stats back up too.

This has nothing to do with not liking the guy nor thinking he is bad. Quite opposite actually.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 12, 2017 -> 11:55 AM)
This has nothing to do with not liking the guy nor thinking he is bad. Quite opposite actually.

To be fair, there were a lot of posts about him being bad or at least well on his way to being bad. It wasn't just Ronnie Woo Woo and his annual Abreu is DFA-worthy thread.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 12, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)
To be fair, there were a lot of posts about him being bad or at least well on his way to being bad. It wasn't just Ronnie Woo Woo and his annual Abreu is DFA-worthy thread.

But the recent trade talk surrounding Abreu is during this good season and people only suggest dealing him if the Sox receive a haul which I kinda doubt they will get anyway.

Edited by soxfan2014

It looks like Jose is going to go over 150 games played and over 4 fWAR. Great season from El Oso. Yes Greg, I'm also impressed that he's going to drive in over 100 again as well. Jose is one of the few guys I've watched that is a legit RBI guy. He changes his approach with runners on and less than two outs and usually it results in a well placed line drive and an RBI. He is not up there looking to walk or drive in 5 runs with one swing -- and his approach works.