Shohei Otani is likely coming to the USA

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Oct 7, 2017 -> 03:21 AM)
He's giving up nearly $200 million to get here 2 years earlier. Comparatively, the difference between $300K and $8 million is nothing.

Comparatively maybe. But in real life, the difference between 300k and $8 mil is being rich or not being rich. It's not happening.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soha @ Oct 7, 2017 -> 09:04 AM)
Comparatively maybe. But in real life, the difference between 300k and $8 mil is being rich or not being rich. It's not happening.

He's already made several million dollars. It isn't like he's working for minimum wage over in Japan.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 7, 2017 -> 11:38 AM)
He's already made several million dollars. It isn't like he's working for minimum wage over in Japan.

Yep. I think it's obvious a few people haven't read the posted article. Otani put his parents in charge of his finances and his mother deposits 1K per month in his personal account and she said he doesn't spend much of it. Money is not his clearly not his motive, his love of baseball is.

So let's say this guy may have made 8 mil in his career. Do you honestly think we don't aim to double his wealth as opposed to making a mere 300k? I can't think of any example where a player who has made as little as he has so far taking such a monster pay cut. It isn't happening unless there is a handshake deal in place

QUOTE (ron883 @ Oct 7, 2017 -> 02:26 PM)
So let's say this guy may have made 8 mil in his career. Do you honestly think we don't aim to double his wealth as opposed to making a mere 300k? I can't think of any example where a player who has made as little as he has so far taking such a monster pay cut. It isn't happening unless there is a handshake deal in place

I'm sure every team would like to offer more than they're allotment but MLB has stated they will be following this very closely. The most recent example of how closely MLB is following things is the Braves and Maitan.

If Otani believes in his abilities ( surely he does ) then taking the 300K to sign won't be a big deal for him. He'll make league minimum (500K+) for the first three years and then he'll begin his arbitration years which he will make much much more than he currently does ( 2M ) in the NPB.

Why should the pay cut matter to player that makes 2M per year and lives on less than 1K per month? Again, money is not his motivation. His love of baseball and getting into the MLB is. That's why I feel things like location, the cities culture, a team's past/present with Japanese players and the state of the team ( contender/rebuild) could be the factors that helps him decide where he chooses to sign.

I think he ends up with a west coast team, we'll see what happens.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 7, 2017 -> 03:43 PM)
I'm sure every team would like to offer more than they're allotment but MLB has stated they will be following this very closely. The most recent example of how closely MLB is following things is the Braves and Maitan.

If Otani believes in his abilities ( surely he does ) then taking the 300K to sign won't be a big deal for him. He'll make league minimum (500K+) for the first three years and then he'll begin his arbitration years which he will make much much more than he currently does ( 2M ) in the NPB.

Why should the pay cut matter to player that makes 2M per year and lives on less than 1K per month? Again, money is not his motivation. His love of baseball and getting into the MLB is. That's why I feel things like location, the cities culture, a team's past/present with Japanese players and the state of the team ( contender/rebuild) could be the factors that helps him decide where he chooses to sign.

I think he ends up with a west coast team, we'll see what happens.

Well you said one thing I agree with at least. He probably will lean towards a west coast team. It's not going to be the White Sox though. There's zero reasons for him to sign here.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Oct 7, 2017 -> 02:26 PM)

Again, read the initial article about him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 05:33 PM)
Really interesting read on the kid, especially his view on money.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-shohei...-htmlstory.html

One more time around. :D

Edit: this really gives some good insight into the kind of person Otani is. I'll be a fan wherever he signs.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 7, 2017 -> 06:10 PM)
One more time around. :D

Edit: this really gives some good insight into the kind of person Otani is. I'll be a fan wherever he signs.

Seems to have an injury history. I wonder how he'll hold up during an MLB season?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 7, 2017 -> 07:22 PM)
Seems to have an injury history. I wonder how he'll hold up during an MLB season?

Good question. One concern, as with any Japanese pitcher, is adjusting from pitching once a week to every fifth game. I do wonder how teams feel about his desire to be a two way player in the MLB. Personally, I wouldn't let that deter me since the initial cost is peanuts compared to the cost of previous Japanese players.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 12:30 PM)
Otani to have ankle surgery.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/10/shoh...le-surgery.html

Guy should probably just wait a couple years and get healthy and dominate more in that time.

Can't imagine it'll affect his decision much. He doesn't stand to lose any money from posting after surgery.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)
Can't imagine it'll affect his decision much. He doesn't stand to lose any money from posting after surgery.

If he doesn't wait till he's 25 we're talking tens of millions in lost money.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 05:46 PM)
If he doesn't wait till he's 25 we're talking tens of millions in lost money.

Right but we've long ago established that he already decided to do exactly that. My point is that if he was going to come over already and accept $4mm instead of hold out for $200mm, then the fact that he is having ankle surgery shouldn't make it any less likely. He isn't going to get lower offers this year because of the injury. His earning potential is already capped at 5-10% of his market value -- no team is going to be like "well we were going to give you $5mm, but now that you're hurt, we're only gonna go to $2mm."

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
Right but we've long ago established that he already decided to do exactly that. My point is that if he was going to come over already and accept $4mm instead of hold out for $200mm, then the fact that he is having ankle surgery shouldn't make it any less likely. He isn't going to get lower offers this year because of the injury. His earning potential is already capped at 5-10% of his market value -- no team is going to be like "well we were going to give you $5mm, but now that you're hurt, we're only gonna go to $2mm."

How long is the recovery time from the surgery? If he's going to end up missing most of next season why not just wait it out at that point?