Shohei Otani is likely coming to the USA

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 08:32 AM)
Yes, the only question would be would they truly let him do both, especially if they are in win now mode. .

With Ellsbury, Gardner, Judge and Frazier between OF and DH along with a guy like Headley getting DH at bats after Torres comes up, there really isn't room for him to get the at bats. Unless of course they trade Garnder and eat some money and release Headley.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 08:18 AM)
Nice summary DA. I think the White Sox will make a nice pitch to him but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Would be interesting to see if an NL team would offer him a spot in the OF 3-4 games a week and pitch every 5th day.

Seems crazy to have him make max effort throws from the OF on the days when he should be resting his arm. Sounds like an injury waiting to happen. He also hasn't played the OF in years.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 08:57 AM)
Seems crazy to have him make max effort throws from the OF on the days when he should be resting his arm. Sounds like an injury waiting to happen. He also hasn't played the OF in years.

That's a good point. I hadn't realized that. It seems like it would have to be a team that can offer DH at bats and let him pitch. How many teams can offer that?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 08:56 AM)
With Ellsbury, Gardner, Judge and Frazier between OF and DH along with a guy like Headley getting DH at bats after Torres comes up, there really isn't room for him to get the at bats. Unless of course they trade Garnder and eat some money and release Headley.

Frazier is a FA.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 08:16 AM)
Here is what teams can offer him:

Texas Rangers — $3,535,000

New York Yankees — $3,250,000 Minnesota Twins — $3,245,000 Pittsburgh Pirates — $2,266,750 Miami Marlins — $1,740,000 Seattle Mariners — $1,570,500 Philadelphia Phillies — $900,000 Milwaukee Brewers — $765,000 Arizona Diamondbacks — $731,250 Baltimore Orioles — $660,000 Boston Red Sox — $462,000 Tampa Bay Rays — $440,500 Atlanta Braves – $300,000 Chicago Cubs – $300,000 Chicago White Sox – $300,000 Cincinnati Reds – $300,000 Houston Astros – $300,000 Kansas City Royals – $300,000 Los Angeles Dodgers – $300,000 Oakland Athletics – $300,000 St. Louis Cardinals – $300,000 San Diego Padres – $300,000 San Francisco Giants – $300,000 Washington Nationals – $300,000 Detroit Tigers — $159,500 Los Angeles Angels — $150,000 New York Mets — $150,000 Toronto Blue Jays — $50,000 Cleveland Indians — $10,000 Colorado Rockies — $10,000

That is kind of inaccurate. Quite a few teams have traded for international cap space that isn't exactly known. Perfect example, the Sox trade with Texas we sent them some amount of cap space which was never reported.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
That is kind of inaccurate. Quite a few teams have traded for international cap space that isn't exactly known. Perfect example, the Sox trade with Texas we sent them some amount of cap space which was never reported.

It is supposedly based on what teams have already agreed to sign some guys, and estimates of bonus money traded. It's from Big League Stew. If you have a more accurate one, please post.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
It is supposedly based on what teams have already agreed to, and estimates of bonus money sent. It's from Big League Stew. If you have a more accurate one, please post.

I didn't realize you took it from a real source, as no credit was given. It is also still not known by your own words here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
You must have a Trump's view of the word accurate.

Whatever. You said it was wrong, show us what's right. But you won't because your post was to insult me and then you found out it wasn't something I created.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
Whatever. You said it was wrong, show us what's right. But you won't because your post was to insult me and then you found out it wasn't something I created.

By its very nature, if you don't have the real numbers, you can't be positive it is accurate.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 10:54 AM)
By its very nature, if you don't have the real numbers, you can't be positive it is accurate.

OK. But the one claiming it isn't somewhat accurate is you, so you must have some knowledge of what the accurate numbers are. Please post for all.

I personally think the guy is a fool not to wait a couple of years.

BTW, these numbers are now being reported all over the place. AP somehow got them from MLB.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)

It must have been Putin Bots.

Although Mike Oz is more famous now for opening up packs of Donruss Cards from the 90’s with former big leaguers...that, in and of itself, should not be disqualifying.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Nov 11, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)
He really has National League written all over him. He's be a good fit there too. Makes sense, but they seem to be connected to everyone nowadays.

I think it's the opposite. The DH in the AL would give his arm the rest it needs inbetween starts.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 08:44 AM)
You must have a Trump's view of the word accurate.

:angry:

Back off the guy - would ya?

He posted a good resource and forgot to link to the source. Big deal... and as he's pointed out a number of times - perhaps you could post a more accurate resource rather than insulting and antagonizing him.

As a moderator aren't you supposed to be upholding and modeling board policies - rather than breaking them yourself?

Why are we even talking about this? This should be in the Diamond Club IMO. Sox blew their Int'l wad on Robert; can't sign anyone on the Int'l market for more than $300k until 2019 so I don't think they have a snowball's chance in hell to get Ohtani. It is understandable that they blew their wad on Robert, as a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 10:00 AM)
Why are we even talking about this? This should be in the Diamond Club IMO. Sox blew their Int'l wad on Robert; can't sign anyone on the Int'l market for more than $300k until 2019 so I don't think they have a snowball's chance in hell to get Ohtani. It is understandable that they blew their wad on Robert, as a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

The idea is since he is already sacrificing hundreds of millions of dollars to come here early, a couple more million isn't a big deal. You are correct: the most we can spend is $300k but the most another team can sign him for is ~$3.5 million.

The only thing we have going for us for Otani is the fact that we might be able to give him a big extension the earliest, but thats playing so close to the line on breaking the rules that I don't know if Reinsdorf would even okay us trying to do it. Maybe we can hope the Cubs try to get him by selling him on the city and then we come in like "Hey, we're in the same city, but we can also let you DH on off days and we have the best pitching coach in the league."

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 10:00 AM)

Relax, Offseason baseball talk moves to PHT. We will be closing Diamondclub for the offseason soon

In reference to Southsider and Dick Allen, you're both kind of correct. I've seen those numbers stated as fact and it doesn't really make sense. There are teams with $$ available that can still be traded all the way up to June 15th. For example, the White Sox have a budget of $4.25 million. They spent 600K that is accounted for on 2 players. They traded an undisclosed amount to Arizona and Texas. They could still have $2 million left for all we know. They could theoretically trade that money to a team that has $3 million left and that team would then have $5 million to offer Otani. This is almost impossible to predict until BA releases their International Signing Reviews for every team.