The Sexual Assault problem

Brian

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 12:22 PM)
That judge is full out auditioning for a Judge Judy type TV show. When a judge wishes that a defendant be raped like she did last week, that might be crossing the line, no matter how awful Nasser was.

Yeah that part was...really bad. Berating him for being awful is fine, but "prison rape as punishment" is pretty disgusting.

Speaking of gross statements:

Humane Society board member, on decision to keep CEO accused of sexual harassment: “Which red-blooded male hasn’t sexually harassed somebody? Women should be able to take care of themselves.”

https://t.co/UZWtNL83F5

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 12:35 PM)
Disagree. Convicted defendants are entitled to rights - including the right not to be attacked by a victim in court. Sentencing hearings - particularly in cases like this or in violent crimes - are extremely emotional settings. If you start drawing lines that attempts to attack the defendant in open court aren't going to be punished... that's really bad.

Again, if this judge opens a window to some sort of appeals process because of ego, that would be the absolutely worst possible thing that could happen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 12:50 PM)
Again, if this judge opens a window to some sort of appeals process because of ego, that would be the absolutely worst possible thing that could happen.

Not really much to appeal in this one, but yeah thats why you dont want a judge to seem biased when they are ruling and make made for tv statements.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 01:50 PM)

It would just start the sentencing over again though. Nassar pled guilty - this wasn't a trial with a judge making pretty blatantly biased decisions. I'm not sure that it would be worth Nassar's time and effort to appeal the sentencing since he already has 60 years from the federal case - even to the extent that the judge's conduct opened the door for an appeal.

But I agree - making the victims go through the sentencing process again because of the judge's conduct would be the worst thing for the victims. Lock Nassar away, get him out of spotlight, and let the victims heal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 02:50 PM)

I think it’s a judicial ethics issue, not a legally appealable issue unless the sentience is somehow outside the bounds of law.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 12:35 PM)
Disagree. Convicted defendants are entitled to rights - including the right not to be attacked by a victim in court. Sentencing hearings - particularly in cases like this or in violent crimes - are extremely emotional settings. If you start drawing lines that attempts to attack the defendant in open court aren't going to be punished... that's really bad.

It would be one thing if he got to the guy, but he didn't. That monster not only committed these crimes, but has zero remorse for what he did. I hope he fears for his life every minute that he's in prison.

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 01:07 PM)
I think it’s a judicial ethics issue, not a legally appealable issue unless the sentience is somehow outside the bounds of law.

And there's really nothing wrong with a judge inserting his/her personal opinions or feelings when handing down a sentence. You just can't be discriminatory, racist, etc. She can call him soulless monster all she wants.

Not sure I understand the uproar over this comment:

“Our Constitution does not allow for cruel and unusual punishment,” she stated. “If it did, I have to say, I might allow what he did to all of these beautiful souls, these young women in their childhood, I would allow some or many people to do to him what he did to others.”

I take it as her saying i'd consider giving you an eye for an eye sentence if I could. I don't think she's advocating that he get raped in prison.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 01:08 PM)
It would be one thing if he got to the guy, but he didn't. That monster not only committed these crimes, but has zero remorse for what he did. I hope he fears for his life every minute that he's in prison.

An attempt is still a crime. I'm not saying the guy should be charged (and if charged, there are certainly mitigating factors), but it certainly isn't the judge's role to tell the DA not to charge. And the Court certainly should not be making statements on the record that they are ok with an attempted assault on an inmate.

It's also a sensitive point here, because Nassar's punishment is that he will spend the rest of his life in prison. It should not include fearing for his life every minute that he's in prison. It should not include fear of being raped in prison (which you did not state, but I have seen in plenty of places regarding Nassar). Even if Nassar earned hell on Earth while he was in prison, plenty of inmates do not, and a prison environment that encourages inmates living in fear doesn't have the capability to pick and choose which inmates live in fear.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 07:08 PM)

Did you see a dad went after the creep today in court? Pretty cool. He asked the judge if he could have one minute alone with Nassar and she said no. So he said, sorry, then stormed Nassar. He got off without being charged with a crime as after lunch he apologized to the court and said he wasn't trying to upstage the victims who included I believe 3 of his family members!

I hope the guy gets his 20 minutes of fame at least for trying to punch Nassar. Nassar is such a scumbag.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2018 -> 05:57 PM)
Well at least we've settled it, Greg is ok with Nassar being let out of jail as long as one parent gets to punch him a few times.

Can you feel the anger if it was your daughter? Sometimes I feel there's no empathy on here.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 4, 2018 -> 01:09 AM)
Can you feel the anger if it was your daughter? Sometimes I feel there's no empathy on here.

So why do you want him out of jail so badly?

5 posts in a row: "we get it, but the judge has to keep the extracurricular stuff under control or the case will be thrown out on appeal and he'll be released"

The next post by Greg: "MORE EXTRACURRICULAR STUFF!!!"

That can only translate as you really, really want him out of jail. Why do you want him out of jail so badly if you're afraid of something happening to your daughter?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2018 -> 04:57 PM)
Well at least we've settled it, Greg is ok with Nassar being let out of jail as long as one parent gets to punch him a few times.

I don't think I said I wanted him out of jail. If I did, I apologize. Obviously I want him in solitary 23 of 24 hours a day the rest of his life. Give him one hour a day outside the cell.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 12:00 AM)
So why do you want him out of jail so badly?

5 posts in a row: "we get it, but the judge has to keep the extracurricular stuff under control or the case will be thrown out on appeal and he'll be released"

The next post by Greg: "MORE EXTRACURRICULAR STUFF!!!"

That can only translate as you really, really want him out of jail. Why do you want him out of jail so badly if you're afraid of something happening to your daughter?

I don't want him released. His crime is one of the worst in the history of mankind.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 07:07 PM)
https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-gre...-143647887.html

With the F1 girls now being ended...how long before ring girls at boxing matches or even cheerleaders fall victim to the #metoo movement? What about beauty pageants? The SI Swimsuit Issue?

Just curious what everyone thinks.

Got to get rid of all of that. No more cheerleaders. No more beauty pageants and no SI swimsuit issue. All must go in this day and age.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It says an awful lot that this is even an idea someone had. 

Charlie Rose whose PBS show was canceled following allegations of sexual harassment — is expected to star in a series where he interviews other men who have faced sexual harassment scandals, Page Six reported.

The show would feature Rose alongside men such as comedian Louis C.K. and former NBC anchor Matt Lauer, who both had sexual harassment allegations lodged against them last year.

So here's Tom Brokaw describing Al Franken's removal as a rush to judgment

as so struck by this case particularly because there was on the part of the Democratic Party a determination and kind of a rush, if you will, to have the Senator resign so they didn’t have the burden of trying to defend him as they go forward. But at the same time, there were people who were making accusations against him who did not come forward and identify themselves, and we don’t even know what their objections were.

It does not mean that Al Franken wasn’t guilty of abusing his place, especially with the first woman who came forward with whom he was on a UFO [sic] tour. And there was that very damning picture that we saw. But I do think that the Senate and the institutions of governance and those of us in this business as well have to agree to a kind of codification of what is objectionable and how people should be held responsible for it.

BROKAW: This is not third-degree murder, this is not a stick-up of some kind in which you can clearly identify a crime. This is a subjective judgment about inappropriate behavior — not on the part of the first woman who came forward, and it took her a while to do that, and he also acknowledged that. But at the same time, I do think that the country, and especially the people who sent him to Washington, deserve to have a clearer idea of what is objectionable. 

Which of course meant it only took a few months for his history to appear in Variety.