Off Season Buy Low Candidates

TheFutureIsNear

Is Tomas really a type of give away candidate? He was injured for most of this season, but last year had a 30 HR 30 2B season. He is only 26. He isn't a strong defender, but certainly a guy the Dbacks could continue to use, and if they don't re-sigh JD, he will probably be penciled in as a starter, I would think at least.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 05:02 PM)
Is Tomas really a type of give away candidate? He was injured for most of this season, but last year had a 30 HR 30 2B season. He is only 26. He isn't a strong defender, but certainly a guy the Dbacks could continue to use, and if they don't re-sigh JD, he will probably be penciled in as a starter, I would think at least.

It sounds like are trying to get out from under his contract, so yeah, if a team is willing to take it own it sounds like they would be willing to give him away. I think the big problem is that he doesn't get on base enough for his offenisve value to be high while his defense is atrocious and brings him down to a negative WAR guy. So far he's basically a slightly better hitter than Matt Davidson, but a much worse defender at a non-premium defensive position while costing ~18X more last year.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 08:11 PM)
I'll start it off with my suggestion...Maikel Franco from the Phillies. They need pitching and have some infield depth. Wouldn't mind throwing a couple of our pitching prospects at the Phillies if they want to unload Franco. Wouldn't include any of Gio, Lopez, Kopech, Cease, or Hanson though.

Who are some young names you'd like to see us acquire for relatively cheap this off season?

The White Sox do not have surplus of pitching prospects. They need more actually. This is the time to stockpile pitching (even without a shortage).

The Sox are also not short on infielders.

Martes, pitcher, Astros, is my candidate.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 04:19 PM)
The White Sox do not have surplus of pitching prospects. They need more actually. This is the time to stockpile pitching (even without a shortage).

Martes, pitcher, Astros, is not a candidate.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 06:19 PM)

Who do they trade to get Martes exactly? Thats not a buy-low candidate.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 06:45 PM)
Who do they trade to get Martes exactly? Thats not a buy-low candidate.

Because he stunk it up this year.

His price should be discounted. He looks like a good Cooper candidate to me, where his value in Chicago is greater than his value in Houston

The OP also used a similar example.

Better candidates, to me than aging veterans, for whom the price is down because the production is down, with very little chance of recovery. Rarely are they a discount.

What is your definition of "buy-low" candidate.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 07:30 PM)

His price should be discounted. He looks like a good Cooper candidate to me, where his value in Chicago is greater than his value in Houston

Better candidates, to me than aging veterans, for whom the price is down because the production is down, with very little chance of recovery. Rarely are they a discount.

I think part of it is we are mostly looking at cheap buy low, sell high guys. I don't think we are trying to name every prospect that has lost some value so we should try to trade for them because it's a "bargain"

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 07:49 PM)
I think part of it is we are mostly looking at cheap buy low, sell high guys. I don't think we are trying to name every prospect that has lost some value so we should try to trade for them because it's a "bargain"

The title says just buy low; the OP used a young player as his suggestion.

If you are looking for guys to flip, well, I have no idea. I don't think that should be a prime concern. They will need a veteran starter and a reliever to absorb innings...if they can be flipped in July, then that's fine. But anyone they sign should be cheap.

I'd still like to see them look at Martes; Astros have moved prospects and young players.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 10:01 PM)
The title says just buy low; the OP used a young player as his suggestion.

If you are looking for guys to flip, well, I have no idea. I don't think that should be a prime concern. They will need a veteran starter and a reliever to absorb innings...if they can be flipped in July, then that's fine. But anyone they sign should be cheap.

I'd still like to see them look at Martes; Astros have moved prospects and young players.

And in his post he asked what guys we can get cheap. But we're arguing semantics. The thread was mostly going towards what veterans we could sign or guys we could trade for without giving up much. I don't think Martes fits either category.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 04:04 PM)
I had forgotten about Yasmany Tomas until reading a Longenhagen article today. If they had a decent spot for him, that's a guy with the talent to be a player, but I don't know where they'd play him.

DH.

But MLBTR's idea of taking on bad money in order to steal a prospect or two is a good idea. The Sox have PLENTY of money to parlay in to prospects, either via flipping a FA signing or their suggestion of taking on bad contracts to add prospects.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 13, 2017 -> 02:07 AM)
DH.

But MLBTR's idea of taking on bad money in order to steal a prospect or two is a good idea. The Sox have PLENTY of money to parlay in to prospects, either via flipping a FA signing or their suggestion of taking on bad contracts to add prospects.

I like the idea too, but not for someone signed beyond 2 years max.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 07:30 PM)

I disagree that Martes stunk it up, he performed fine as a 21 year old rookie. ERA wasn’t good but strikeout numbers were strong and he flashed some good potential, no way the Astros would just let him go for scraps, I doubt his price is down much if at all. Especially after just 54 innings.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 13, 2017 -> 07:07 AM)
I disagree that Martes stunk it up, he performed fine as a 21 year old rookie. ERA wasn’t good but strikeout numbers were strong and he flashed some good potential, no way the Astros would just let him go for scraps, I doubt his price is down much if at all. Especially after just 54 innings.

Shocker: prospect struggles in first cup of coffee in the majors. What were the chances of that happening?!

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 13, 2017 -> 05:24 AM)
I like the idea too, but not for someone signed beyond 2 years max.

So of the names they mentioned, Tomas has three years left, but could turn into a player and be part of the rebuild; Markakis only has one year left at $11mm, so he could be an ideal bridge to Eloy Jimenez if we trade Avi this offseason; and Ellsbury has 3 years left at a little over $21mm per year, so he has the worst contract, but he was also a constructive player last year and maybe could hold down center until Luis Robert arrives.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Oct 13, 2017 -> 08:12 AM)
So of the names they mentioned, Tomas has three years left, but could turn into a player and be part of the rebuild; Markakis only has one year left at $11mm, so he could be an ideal bridge to Eloy Jimenez if we trade Avi this offseason; and Ellsbury has 3 years left at a little over $21mm per year, so he has the worst contract, but he was also a constructive player last year and maybe could hold down center until Luis Robert arrives.

For a guy like Markakis (who isn't really making a lot of money anyway), I don't see the Braves giving up anything significant to get rid of him so expectations in a deal would have to be very small. I assume they will make him 4th OF or possibly release him when Acuna is ready. Their payroll isn't high.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Oct 13, 2017 -> 08:12 AM)

Ellsbury has always been such an injury plagued player, I just couldnt trust him to hold down any OF position, much less center

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 13, 2017 -> 09:06 AM)
Ellsbury has always been such an injury plagued player, I just couldnt trust him to hold down any OF position, much less center

A deal like that wouldn't be about Ellsbury as much as the extra players he brought with him in order to take some or all of that contract on from Boston.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)
Please explain why you purposely ignored the bolded in your response to TheFutureIsNear.

It's pretty clear you ignored that part and used the idea as an excuse to complain, again. The OP suggested NOT trading top pitching prospects to acquire the young 22 year old 3B in Franco.

You do realize the Sox traded Gio Gonzalez not once but twice to bolster their hitting, right? Once for Thome and a second time for Swisher. Sometimes teams trade from a strength to bolster a weakness.

Call the whaaaambulance.

It seems to me we've acquired all the prospects we need.I may disagree with the rebuild but what's done is done. We have a projected team to win it all at some point. Trading is DONE.

3B - Burger/Davidson. SS-TA. 2B-Moncada. 1B-Abreu I hope or maybe Gillaspie or somebody.

RF-Rutherford. CF-Robert. LF-Eloy

C-Collins. Pitchers: We know the names.

Get em ready and acquire some vets when it's time to win as well and get some arms for the pen and one veteran stud starter.

Is my position that odd?