Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 12:54 PM)
Instead we are going to wait until free agency and spend exponentially more? There are still a ton of question marks in this system and players still need to be brought in. If the Sox really are going to stay cheap, this is doomed as a half-assed rebuild. I know everyone wants to talk about the Cubs and Astros, but you can't ignore that they also put some of that money to use. The Cubs themselves spent about half a billion dollars in free agency to put themselves over the top. The Astros have also added a couple of hundred million in future obligations on to make their championship happen.

Or we can just sit by and hope that our player development has come far enough that with what we have will end up being enough to be a title winning core, as there isn't really anything of value left to trade, and players that are draft next year aren't really going to be in the core until next decade anyway.

Yes the Astros added a substantial chunk by trading for McCann and signing Morton, but their opening day payroll was $124 million. They added to that with Verlander, but the total they're going to spend to win the world series this year is something like $130 million. Obviously that will go up with time if they hold onto guys, but the opening day payrolls for 2 of the last 3 world series winners has been under $130 million and the White Sox have crossed that line before. Heck, they crossed that 10 years ago and salaries have been going up >5% a year since then.

No one, not even me, will say that they can do this without spending somewhere. If they get a reasonable deal they should take it. But they also cannot be scared of spending in the future - it is going to have to happen. They need to spend 2018 filling as many roles as they can from within - find the couple of hidden guys out of their 10 AAAA players who can be long term players by giving them playing time. Then, figure out next offseason what we need to add to push us into the race in 2019 and spend.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)
The Sox are also going to be operating at a huge margin next year, with no international spending to speak of, and a cap of about $10 million in the draft. It isn't that crazy to think of next year, especially as the majority of the Robert money will be accounted for.

My thought all along was the Robert money was going to come from the 2018 payroll. They knew back then the payroll would be tiny and that's probably where they took the money from.

But even beyond that. You don't throw $40 million away for garbage contracts just because you have it.

QUOTE (Soha @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
My thought all along was the Robert money was going to come from the 2018 payroll. They knew back then the payroll would be tiny and that's probably where they took the money from.

But even beyond that. You don't throw $40 million away for garbage contracts just because you have it.

It isnt' about the contract, it is for the player you get for the contract. It really isn't different than the Robert signing, except instead of the money going directly to the prospect, it goes to the bad contract player. But essentially you are still buying another prospect.

QUOTE (Soha @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)

Why would it come from the 2018 payroll?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 1, 2017 -> 11:31 AM)
-What I think the Sox will do and should do is spend big on the bullpen. I think they should put a lot of money into the bullpen. Even if it takes a 3 year deal for a good arm.

Hard to trust relievers for 3 years.

They'll need a few pitching arms just to eat innings. Otherwise, FAs to hopefully flip in July. They just aren't ready to assess long term needs.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 02:27 PM)
The interesting part about his long term health will be the structural integrity of the should without a portion of the bursa.

Would you agree with what Hahn said in the article, specifically that there is no increased risk of reinjury?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)
It isnt' about the contract, it is for the player you get for the contract. It really isn't different than the Robert signing, except instead of the money going directly to the prospect, it goes to the bad contract player. But essentially you are still buying another prospect.

I am guessing the Sox gave the Padres Tatis because the Padres covered $30M of salary.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 02:22 PM)
Prospects.

Yeah.

Then get some more relievers and repeat - I can go for that.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 02:54 PM)
I am guessing the Sox gave the Padres Tatis because the Padres covered $30M of salary.

They shouldn't have had to give a good prospect to cover 30M of Shields' salary, as shaky as Shields was.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)
Yeah.

Then get some more relievers and repeat - I can go for that.

They shouldn't have had to give a good prospect to cover 30M of Shields' salary, as shaky as Shields was.

No one thought Tatis was a good prospect.. No matter how much we all want to hate the trade it's a guarantee 98% of us approved of that trade when it happened.. Tatis was no one to us at the time

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 03:40 PM)
No one thought Tatis was a good prospect.. No matter how much we all want to hate the trade it's a guarantee 98% of us approved of that trade when it happened.. Tatis was no one to us at the time

Plus we got screwed on the medicals, which totally changes the face of that deal. The White Sox thought that 2015 James Shields was there because they had no reason not to. Now all of the sudden the guy can't even throw 90 and needs a new arm slot.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 03:40 PM)

Here's the thread. IT was split, not overwhelming in either way. A substantial number of posts were people jumping on me for hating how that team was built and who was put on it.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 01:39 PM)
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/2017...redictions.html

Top 50 free agents from MLBTR.

Trade Avi for the best prospect(s) you can get and sign the following. Granderson is because he's my favorite player. Pineda/Brantley are flips. Cishek is potential flip or holdover.

RF Curtis Granderson 1 yr 5M

LF Michael Brantley 1 yr 11M

SP Michael Pineda 1 yr 7M

RHP Bud Norris 1 yr 4M

RHP Steve Cishek 3 yr 20M

C - Narvaez/Smith

1B - Abreu/Davidson/Delmonico

2B - Moncada

3B - Sanchez/Davidson/Delmonico

SS - Anderson

LF - Brantley/Delmonico/Engel

CF - L. Garcia/Engel

RF - Granderson

DH - Delmonico/Davidson

Last spot goes to Cordell/Tilson(who?)/Saldino

SP1 Pineda

SP2 Giolito

SP3 Lopez

SP4 Shields

SP5 Fulmer/Rodon

CL Cishek

SU Minaya

MR Bummer

MR Fry

MR Infante

MR Norris

MR rando

I don't see how the logic in signing anyone that takes away from Delmonico's reps in LF even if they are flipable and Avi is gone

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 03:57 PM)
Plus we got screwed on the medicals, which totally changes the face of that deal. The White Sox thought that 2015 James Shields was there because they had no reason not to. Now all of the sudden the guy can't even throw 90 and needs a new arm slot.

My point was not to bring up Tatis ability just that he was part of the deal because the Padres paid $30M of the salary.

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 04:19 PM)
I don't see how the logic in signing anyone that takes away from Delmonico's reps in LF even if they are flipable and Avi is gone

I would very much like to go into next year with a Delmonico, L. Garcia, Engel, and Cordell OF. I would like to see if Delmonico can continue hitting like he did last year, if Garcia can continue hitting like he did last year, if Engel could learn to hit, and if Cordell could stay healthy and be a decent ballplayer.

If more than one of those guys flopped...or heck even if they succeeded, I would not expect them to be the only outfielders for long as Jiminez won't stay down long. If someone got hurt, then we have guys like Polo or whoever else I'm forgetting who could step in.

Basically, I don't think I want to see us signing position players. We have too many guys who I want to get a shot.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/2017...redictions.html

MLBTR predicts the Sox to sign Micheal Brantly at 2 yrs/$20M.

Of the players I targeted in my plan for the Sox, they have Morrow going to the Rockies on the exact terms I predicted (3 yrs/$24M), Alonso going to the Angels for the same 2 yrs I planned, but for only $22M instead of $26M, and Kintzler also getting 2 years like I guessed, but to the Nats, and for $14M instead of $10M.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 02:20 AM)
Ding ding ding.

If we've gotta replace Machado for Donaldson, then so be it... but you and I are of the same mind. Then hopefully by 2020 we'll have Robert, Burger, and more coming up in the second wave.

Really, really, really hope JR goes all out and gets his guy in Machado and doesn't settle for Donaldson, Donaldson is already aging and would suck at the end of his long term deal

Really hope JR goes 10/$300-ish for Machado, likely a little less

Another note: all my targets are non-Boras guys

What a haul Machado, Kimbrel, Allen would be next winter

Free Agency

- Sign RHSP/DH Shohei Otani to minor league contract

- Sign LHRP Mike Minor 3 years $24MM

- Sign RHRP Steve Cishek 2 years $14MM

- Sign RHRP Tommy Hunter 2 years $10MM

- Sign RF Michael Brantley 2 years $16MM

Trade

- Trade RF Avisail Garcia to Cardinals for C Carson Kelly

Projected 2018 Opening Day Depth Chart

C: Carson Kelly/Omar Narvaez

1B: Jose Abreu/Nick Delmonico/Matt Davidson

2B: Yoan Moncada/Yolmer Sanchez

SS: Tim Anderson/Yolmer Sanchez

3B: Yolmer Sanchez/Matt Davidson

LF: Nick Delmonico/Ryan Cordell

CF: Leury Garcia/Adam Engel/Charlie Tilson

RF: Michael Brantley/Ryan Cordell

DH: Shohei Otani/Jose Abreu/Nick Delmonico

SP1: Shohei Otani

SP2: Lucas Giolito

SP3: Reynaldo Lopez

SP4: James Shields

SP5: Carson Fulmer

CL: Mike Minor

SU: Steve Cishek

SU: Tommy Hunter

MR: Juan Minaya

MR: Gregory Infante

MR: Zach Putnam

MR: Jace Fry

How unrealistic is this?

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 05:09 PM)
Really, really, really hope JR goes all out and gets his guy in Machado and doesn't settle for Donaldson, Donaldson is already aging and would suck at the end of his long term deal

Really hope JR goes 10/$300-ish for Machado, likely a little less

Another note: all my targets are non-Boras guys

What a haul Machado, Kimbrel, Allen would be next winter

With as young as our team is...it might not hurt to have a veteran somewhere.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 02:53 PM)
Would you agree with what Hahn said in the article, specifically that there is no increased risk of reinjury?

The specific injury to the bursa? That's probably right. However, my concern would be the structures in the subacromial space that the bursa is there to protect such as the bicep tendon, labrum and supraspinatus tendon, in no particular order. The degree of the debridement would be the key.

I have no doubt he'll come back strong. It's no the long term that is the concern.

Edited by ptatc