Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

Can't say I'm a fan of sitting Delmonico for A.Gonzalez, or keeping Avi along with signing Dyson to a multi-year deal. What happens when Eloy is ready? Where does he fit in? Also not a fan of trading Fulmer for Franco and sitting Sanchez on the bench. See no point in having Grandal for one year either, let Narvaez continue us to work with the pitchers next season. One more season of Narvaez won't hurt and gives the Sox more time to work with Collins and Zavala in the minors.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.) Load up on busted former top prospects, guys trying to come back from injury, or just had a down year looking for 1-year deals to prove themselves, malcontents, etc and play them either to see if they can help the future or can be flipped.

2.) Sign relievers

3.) Field calls for Avi, Abreu, and if you get great value do it. If not, keep 'em.

4.) ?????

5.) Profit.

Edited by ypres

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 5, 2017 -> 01:39 PM)
White Sox Trade: James Shields and Kevan Smith for Adrian Gonzalez, Yasmany Grandal, Brock Stewart, and $5-8M in cash (sox take on about $10mil in salary)

White Sox trade: Carson Fulmer for Maikel Franco (Despite his 20 or so solid innings at the end of the year I'm not a Fulmer beliver)

White Sox sign: Jeremy Hellickson 1 year $8M with a team option, Steve Cishek 2 years $14M, Kevin Siegrest 1 year $3M, David Hernandez 1 year $5M, Jarrod Dyson 2 years $12M

LF- Dyson

2B-Moncada

DH- Abreu

1B- Gonzalez

3B- Franco

RF- Avi

C- Grandal

SS- Anderson

CF- Leury

Bench- Yolmer, Davidson, Delmonico, Navarez

Giolito

Lopez

Stewart

Hellickson

?(someone to eat innings until we have a call up or 2 ready)

Bullpen- Petricka, Putnam, Siegrest Hernandez, Cishek....or something like that. The bullpen is probably going to be a mess regardless.

The rebuild is still fully on, but we'd be potentially putting a fun offense out there with some young pitchers. And both Gonzalez and Grandal are free agents after 2018 so there's no added $ to the payroll for when we could potentially be set up to make a big splash in free agency after 2018.

Not sure why Grandal gets so much love on here and Fulmer doesn't

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)
Didn't the Cardinals kick the tires on Avi in July? They do have interest. Carson Kelly is currently blocked by Molina, who is signed thru 2020. It doesn't seem to be that big of a stretch to see them deal him for slugging outfielder.

I'm not saying they don't want Avi, I'm just saying they aren't giving us Carson Kelly for him. My opinion is based on things I've read and what my Cardinals-fan friend tells me.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 6, 2017 -> 01:09 PM)
I lean the other way, I'm not sure why some people seem to think the Dodgers would just give away one of the best catchers in the game.

Same. We keep thinking the dodgers will start caring about money, and they just...don't.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 6, 2017 -> 01:41 PM)
I'm honestly fine going with Smith and Narvaez again next year. I don't really see the Dodgers just giving Grandal away anyway.

As am I, Smith sounds like he's putting in work this offseason and Narvaez is decent

Literally 0 interest in moving prospects for a rental in a MAYBE .500 season

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Nov 6, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
Not sure why Grandal gets so much love on here and Fulmer doesn't

Fulmer is the post child for what happens when you rush a prospect. The Sox just need to find a place to start him and leave him be for a season. Send him to AAA again, and let him start every 5th day. Give the kid as many reps as possible and see if he can work through his issues.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 03:39 PM)
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/2017...redictions.html

Top 50 free agents from MLBTR.

Trade Avi for the best prospect(s) you can get and sign the following. Granderson is because he's my favorite player. Pineda/Brantley are flips. Cishek is potential flip or holdover.

RF Curtis Granderson 1 yr 5M

LF Michael Brantley 1 yr 11M

SP Michael Pineda 1 yr 7M

RHP Bud Norris 1 yr 4M

RHP Steve Cishek 3 yr 20M

C - Narvaez/Smith

1B - Abreu/Davidson/Delmonico

2B - Moncada

3B - Sanchez/Davidson/Delmonico

SS - Anderson

LF - Brantley/Delmonico/Engel

CF - L. Garcia/Engel

RF - Granderson

DH - Delmonico/Davidson

Last spot goes to Cordell/Tilson(who?)/Saldino

SP1 Pineda

SP2 Giolito

SP3 Lopez

SP4 Shields

SP5 Fulmer/Rodon

CL Cishek

SU Minaya

MR Bummer

MR Fry

MR Infante

MR Norris

MR rando

I agree with your fairly restrained approach to this offseason. I think the Sox do shop Avi and potentially Abreu for prospects.

The rest of our free agent spending will likely be bargain bin shopping on prove it/bounceback deals. We have quite a few prospects who are expected to arrive for the 2019 season (if not sooner).

Pineda might require a 2 year deal like the mlbtraderumors deal suggests, as it's unknown when he will be able to pitch in 2018.

My gut feeling is that Soto is resigned with a minor league contract... if not, it will be a similar type of move. I don't think the Sox will really spend (either money or prospects) anything significant in the catching position. I really believe they think Collins is a year or two away.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2017 -> 12:09 PM)
My gut feeling is that Soto is resigned with a minor league contract... if not, it will be a similar type of move. I don't think the Sox will really spend (either money or prospects) anything significant in the catching position. I really believe they think Collins is a year or two away.

I think it is important, even if they believe Collins will be ready in '19, that we sign a good framer for whomever ends up being our ace. I like the idea of the "personal catcher" for a guy like Rodon or maybe even Kopech that might benefit.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/red-...y-tax-cora.html

“We need to score more runs,” said Dombrowski, noting that while there’s room for internal improvements, the team can add outside the organization as well. “…But we do have probably the open spot of first base slash DH, and so that’s a place we’ll try to create some offense there.”

Jose Abreu would help Boston score runs.