Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 07:07 PM)
Free Agency

- Sign RHSP/DH Shohei Otani to minor league contract

- Sign LHRP Mike Minor 3 years $24MM

- Sign RHRP Steve Cishek 2 years $14MM

- Sign RHRP Tommy Hunter 2 years $10MM

- Sign RF Michael Brantley 2 years $16MM

Trade

- Trade RF Avisail Garcia to Cardinals for C Carson Kelly

Projected 2018 Opening Day Depth Chart

C: Carson Kelly/Omar Narvaez

1B: Jose Abreu/Nick Delmonico/Matt Davidson

2B: Yoan Moncada/Yolmer Sanchez

SS: Tim Anderson/Yolmer Sanchez

3B: Yolmer Sanchez/Matt Davidson

LF: Nick Delmonico/Ryan Cordell

CF: Leury Garcia/Adam Engel/Charlie Tilson

RF: Michael Brantley/Ryan Cordell

DH: Shohei Otani/Jose Abreu/Nick Delmonico

SP1: Shohei Otani

SP2: Lucas Giolito

SP3: Reynaldo Lopez

SP4: James Shields

SP5: Carson Fulmer

CL: Mike Minor

SU: Steve Cishek

SU: Tommy Hunter

MR: Juan Minaya

MR: Gregory Infante

MR: Zach Putnam

MR: Jace Fry

How unrealistic is this?

Rated from most likely to least likely (IMO):

Hunter

Cishek

Brantley

Minor

Garcia-Kelly swap

Otani

Tilson being counted on

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 06:07 PM)
Free Agency

- Sign RHSP/DH Shohei Otani to minor league contract

- Sign LHRP Mike Minor 3 years $24MM

- Sign RHRP Steve Cishek 2 years $14MM

- Sign RHRP Tommy Hunter 2 years $10MM

- Sign RF Michael Brantley 2 years $16MM

Trade

- Trade RF Avisail Garcia to Cardinals for C Carson Kelly

Projected 2018 Opening Day Depth Chart

C: Carson Kelly/Omar Narvaez

1B: Jose Abreu/Nick Delmonico/Matt Davidson

2B: Yoan Moncada/Yolmer Sanchez

SS: Tim Anderson/Yolmer Sanchez

3B: Yolmer Sanchez/Matt Davidson

LF: Nick Delmonico/Ryan Cordell

CF: Leury Garcia/Adam Engel/Charlie Tilson

RF: Michael Brantley/Ryan Cordell

DH: Shohei Otani/Jose Abreu/Nick Delmonico

SP1: Shohei Otani

SP2: Lucas Giolito

SP3: Reynaldo Lopez

SP4: James Shields

SP5: Carson Fulmer

CL: Mike Minor

SU: Steve Cishek

SU: Tommy Hunter

MR: Juan Minaya

MR: Gregory Infante

MR: Zach Putnam

MR: Jace Fry

How unrealistic is this?

I don't think the Cardinals will part with Kelly for damn near anything. They love him, have put a lot of work into him, and believe they need him to replace Molina.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 09:14 PM)
With as young as our team is...it might not hurt to have a veteran somewhere.

Abreu, Machado, and Garcia are all vets at that point, I feel like outside vets brought in haven't been working out for some recent WS teams:

KC- Gomes

CHC- Heyward, Montero

HOU- Maybin, Beltran

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
Abreu, Machado, and Garcia are all vets at that point, I feel like outside vets brought in haven't been working out for some recent WS teams:

KC- Gomes

CHC- Heyward, Montero

HOU- Maybin, Beltran

The vets themselves may not have worked but the teams still did. Heyward's legendary "Rain delay talk", Brian McCann this year.

And I don't expect Garcia here when this team is competitive. If they hold him for another year and he performs like he did this year, he'll be 1 year from Free Agency and looking at a 9 figure deal that the White Sox will hesitate to give. Abreu...if he's not extended this year I expect him to be a FA also.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 10:43 AM)
I don't think the Cardinals will part with Kelly for damn near anything. They love him, have put a lot of work into him, and believe they need him to replace Molina.

Didn't the Cardinals kick the tires on Avi in July? They do have interest. Carson Kelly is currently blocked by Molina, who is signed thru 2020. It doesn't seem to be that big of a stretch to see them deal him for slugging outfielder.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)
Didn't the Cardinals kick the tires on Avi in July? They do have interest. Carson Kelly is currently blocked by Molina, who is signed thru 2020. It doesn't seem to be that big of a stretch to see them deal him for slugging outfielder.

I think it would be unwise of the Cardinals to expect Molina to remain completely healthy until he is 38 years old. There are a lot of miles on those legs.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 11:45 AM)
I think it would be unwise of the Cardinals to expect Molina to remain completely healthy until he is 38 years old. There are a lot of miles on those legs.

I was going to say it probably isn't wise to expect 130+ games either but then I looked and he's started over 130 the past 2 years. But yeah, I wouldn't just expect him to be healthy all year. It doesn't hurt to share more some time with someone younger. So probably not a Garcia for Kelly swap even though they could fill the backup spot with someone like Avila.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)

The Cards were also rumored to be after Stanton as well. Seeing as how their outfield is loaded plus they have Bader and O'Neill, there's two ways they likely go about this. 1) they will trade a few current outfielders to open up space for Bader and O'Neill or 2) they use a current outfielder along with one of Bader/O'Neil to get Stanton from the Marlins. I doubt they have interest in Avi, at all.

Yep. Keeping Kelly gives the Cards a solid backup catcher to Molina while Kelly learns from the best in the game. They could get creative against LHSP and give Carpenter the day off, have Yadi play first with Kelly behind the plate. No reason to move Kelly,especially for Avi.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)
The Cards were also rumored to be after Stanton as well. Seeing as how their outfield is loaded plus they have Bader and O'Neill, there's two ways they likely go about this. 1) they will trade a few current outfielders to open up space for Bader and O'Neill or 2) they use a current outfielder along with one of Bader/O'Neil to get Stanton from the Marlins. I doubt they have interest in Avi, at all.

Yep. Keeping Kelly gives the Cards a solid backup catcher to Molina while Kelly learns from the best in the game. They could get creative against LHSP and give Carpenter the day off, have Yadi play first with Kelly behind the plate. No reason to move Kelly,especially for Avi.

I understand the logic of the Cards keeping their man. And the Stanton rumors are very interesting. However, if they fail to get him, I can definitely see them still being interested in Avi. Let’s not forget he was #2 in the AL in average next to Altuve. (That is crazy, I know!)

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 12:03 PM)
... Avi. Let’s not forget he was #2 in the AL in average next to Altuve. (That is crazy, I know!)

Altuve has an average BABIP over the past 4 years of .346 while Avi has only that wild ass .392 mark last year.

It'll be interesting to see if he can keep it up - or at least begin to level off around .340 and become an annual batting title contender.

If he does, then extend and keep him. That's our best hope with our hopeful "Peavy Prize".

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 02:07 PM)
So I've kinda been wondering but haven't asked. I know there have been rumors in the cards interest, but isn't the OF their strength? And don't they already have a few too many "all hit/no field" players in OF?

They also seem to have plenty of "no hit/no field" players as well.

They also gave him a no-trade clause

Disregard, I meant that he has 10/5

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 05:31 PM)
With the Garcia/Kelly thing, I was just looking for a near ready top prospect who is blocked on a team that appears to be interested in OFs in free agency. Kelly appeared to be the best fit. Ryan McMahon looks like another. Is there anyone else who fits that bill?

There is no reason why the White Sox right now need to focus on getting a major league ready guy back for Garcia. We have a ton of talent at the upper minor levels about to hit, and a ton of AAA guys who we need to try out over the next season. A-ball talent is fine if it is promising - that's where we have room to play guys anyway. Don't worry about guys being blocked, worry about the return.

Would St Louis even be in the market for an OF’er like Avi? Did I miss a rumor or something? They already have Grichuk, Pham, Piscotty, and Fowler with Bader knocking on the door for a spot on the big league club. Don’t think I’d be trading for Avi if I were them thinking I’m getting a significant upgrade to my OF.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)
I understand the logic of the Cards keeping their man. And the Stanton rumors are very interesting. However, if they fail to get him, I can definitely see them still being interested in Avi. Let’s not forget he was #2 in the AL in average next to Altuve. (That is crazy, I know!)

I guess I just don't see the Cards being interested in Avi despite his average. But hey, I hope I'm wrong and the Cards are willing to trade O'Neill or Bader + for Avi. Really like O'Neill's LHB and power despite the K's.

Edit: for some reason I thought O'Neill was a LHB, nope, he's right handed.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 07:04 PM)
There is no reason why the White Sox right now need to focus on getting a major league ready guy back for Garcia. We have a ton of talent at the upper minor levels about to hit, and a ton of AAA guys who we need to try out over the next season. A-ball talent is fine if it is promising - that's where we have room to play guys anyway. Don't worry about guys being blocked, worry about the return.

A ball for pitchers, AA for hitters.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 07:04 PM)

I'm guessing someone like a Bo Bichette would be too ambitious for an Avi return?

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 5, 2017 -> 12:13 AM)
I'm guessing someone like a Bo Bichette would be too ambitious for an Avi return?

Might be. Bichette had such a good season he might pass Vlad Jr to become Toronto's #1prospect.

Edit: that's probably a bit of a stretch but I think Bichette is closer to Vlad Jr in ranks than he was before the '17 season began.

Edited by BlackSox13

White Sox Trade: James Shields and Kevan Smith for Adrian Gonzalez, Yasmany Grandal, Brock Stewart, and $5-8M in cash (sox take on about $10mil in salary)

White Sox trade: Carson Fulmer for Maikel Franco (Despite his 20 or so solid innings at the end of the year I'm not a Fulmer beliver)

White Sox sign: Jeremy Hellickson 1 year $8M with a team option, Steve Cishek 2 years $14M, Kevin Siegrest 1 year $3M, David Hernandez 1 year $5M, Jarrod Dyson 2 years $12M

LF- Dyson

2B-Moncada

DH- Abreu

1B- Gonzalez

3B- Franco

RF- Avi

C- Grandal

SS- Anderson

CF- Leury

Bench- Yolmer, Davidson, Delmonico, Navarez

Giolito

Lopez

Stewart

Hellickson

?(someone to eat innings until we have a call up or 2 ready)

Bullpen- Petricka, Putnam, Siegrest Hernandez, Cishek....or something like that. The bullpen is probably going to be a mess regardless.

The rebuild is still fully on, but we'd be potentially putting a fun offense out there with some young pitchers. And both Gonzalez and Grandal are free agents after 2018 so there's no added $ to the payroll for when we could potentially be set up to make a big splash in free agency after 2018.