Sox acquire Thyago Vieria

ChiSox59

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)
Just give away all the international money to Otani's suitors for more warm bodies.

This isn't even just warm body. This is an 80 fastball with potentially major league average off speed stuff from what I was reading. He has top end closer potential, especially if he can fix mechanics and control.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 12:01 PM)
Full report on new White Sox RHP Thyago Vieira analyzing the Mariners second trade in 2 days (and I'm sure not their last of the offseason). https://t.co/zjHjlB2esa

https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/931217490742513665

BA doesn't even mention his curve

Vieira’s fastball alone could help him carve out a role in a big league bullpen if he can throw with even fringe-average control, but to have long-term big league success, he’s going to have to find a second pitch.

He’s worked on sharpening his fringy slider and he’s toyed with a split-fingered fastball as well as a changeup, but none grade out as more than a 40 on the 20-to-80 scouting scale right now. If he’s going to work in higher-leverage situations he’ll have to develop an offspeed pitch to keep hitters from just looking for his fastball.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 12:42 PM)
Great trade. These are the types of moves that they need to be making. They've traded international pool money for SS Yeyson Yrizarri, RHP Ryan Burr, and now Thyago Vieria. Not a bad haul for $ that you basically couldn't spend anyway.

You know if we had come out of July 2 with that kind of a group of guys, I sure would have been happy. You really can't argue with how aggressively he has been selling slot space.

Wow, powerful statement.

Kyle Glaser‏Verified account @KyleAGlaser 2h2 hours ago Kyle Glaser Retweeted Chicago White Sox

The #WhiteSox just acquired one of the Mariners top 10 prospects and a potential end-of-game reliever. Only context this make sense for #Mariners is if they’re trying to rack up $$ for a run at Otani

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 12:56 PM)
Jonathan Mayo‏Verified account @JonathanMayo 1h1 hour ago The @Mariners are getting $500K from @whitesox in Vieira deal. Prepping for an Ohtani bid? Now have $1.5575 mil to offer (M's have spent $3.9425 mil of $5.5 mil total pool)

Also worth noting in the follow up tweet, he calls the previous AP figures wrong.

Jonathan Mayo‏Verified account @JonathanMayo 12m12 minutes ago Jonathan Mayo Retweeted Lookout Landing

No, the figures in that story are incorrect. They had just over $1 mil until this trade.

Loooooooove this move. This dude had electric stuff in the Futures Game, I had no clue who he was prior to that and came away impressed. This is exactly the type of move that Rick should be making. Even if you improve his control just a bit, he is instantly a high leverage reliever at the major league level. I can think of no better coaching staff to try and harness his abilities. In a couple years, we will look back fondly on this trade.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
The White Sox should find a couple of other teams that want to up their offers to Otani and take some prospects off their hands.

If you can get a top 8 prospect for $500k, what could you get for a couple of million?

Twins, Yankees, and Rangers come to mind.

Are we aware of how much money we have left? We had 2 300k signings (I believe).

4.75 million-600k = 4.15 million

4.15 million - 500k = 3.65 million

Say the other two were 500k, then were still ~2.5, so yes we can make quite a few more.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
Are we aware of how much money we have left? We had 2 300k signings (I believe).

2.973 million-600k = 2.373 million

2.373 million - 500k = 1.873 million

Unknown how much we traded on the other two transactions correct? Say those were both 500k on conservative end, hopefully conservatively we could make another trade like this.

I thought they get more than that.