White Sox add Gillaspie, Eloy, Basabe, Clarkin and Micker

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 01:23 PM)
Dom Nunez, Jason Martin, and some of the arms seem interesting. Not much beyond that, though. It's a group in which I could see Jordan Guerrero in the top 5.

Yeah, Guerrero defintiely looks like one of the better prospects who will be available based on that list.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a list of like 35 guys that intrigued me, but these are my favorites:

Kevin Cron - 1B - Dbacks

Jason Vosler - INF - Cubs

Brandon Dixon - INF - Reds

Wes Rogers - OF - Rockies

Josh Fuentes - 3B - Rockies

Ryan O'Hearn - 1B - Royals

Frank Schwindel - 1B/C - Royals

John Norwood - OF - Marlins

Nick Burdi - RHP - Twins

Mike Ford - 1B - Yankees

Franmil Reyes - RF - Padres

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)
Would Nick Burdi make sense for us? We already have his brother and should have an idea as to his medicals. He had TJ surgery in May so he could begin on the 60 day dl. When ready, he could have a decent amount of time on a rehab assignment prior to joining the majors in what would likely be the second half of the season. Prior to injury, his profile was much like his brother's, 80 FB and 65 Slider rating with a lesser change up but potential closer ability. 25 in Jan. We wouldn't need him to be great in 2018, just survive.

Second thought. If it is our pick and our targets are gone, can we draft our own player? Guerrero or Peter or Polo? I like all of them better than some we kept.

I would love Nick Burdi. Another triple digit guy and we could probably keep him off the active roster for a good part of the year and them bring him in after we sell off whatever bullpen pieces we have.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)
Would Nick Burdi make sense for us? We already have his brother and should have an idea as to his medicals. He had TJ surgery in May so he could begin on the 60 day dl. When ready, he could have a decent amount of time on a rehab assignment prior to joining the majors in what would likely be the second half of the season. Prior to injury, his profile was much like his brother's, 80 FB and 65 Slider rating with a lesser change up but potential closer ability. 25 in Jan. We wouldn't need him to be great in 2018, just survive.

Second thought. If it is our pick and our targets are gone, can we draft our own player? Guerrero or Peter or Polo? I like all of them better than some we kept.

FWIW, they added an active roster requirement to players taken in the Rule 5 draft. If a player doesn't spend enough days on the active roster (NOT on the DL) then those roster requirements are carried into the next season.

Burdi had surgery on June 1, 2017, so if he was on the major league roster on June 1, 2018 he pretty much couldn't miss any time for the rest of the season due to injury for the White Sox to keep him free and clear for 2019.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 01:49 PM)
FWIW, they added an active roster requirement to players taken in the Rule 5 draft. If a player doesn't spend enough days on the active roster (NOT on the DL) then those roster requirements are carried into the next season.

Burdi had surgery on June 1, 2017, so if he was on the major league roster on June 1, 2018 he pretty much couldn't miss any time for the rest of the season due to injury for the White Sox to keep him free and clear for 2019.

I don't think it would be that much of a concern if we had to keep him on the active into 2019. It sounded like he was about to be fast-tracked to the majors so he is probably almost ready. Give him the end of the year to knock the rust off and then he should be a solid bullpen piece in 2019.

Do not pick up any guys in the rule 5. We don't need a 25 man spot wasted all year when there will be numerous higher upside vets looking for playing time come late Jan and early Feb. Keeping a 25 man spot open for a veteran will almost certainly (imo) find a higher upside asset come late winter that is actually flippable at the deadline if they perform.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 02:17 PM)
Do not pick up any guys in the rule 5. We don't need a 25 man spot wasted all year when there will be numerous higher upside vets looking for playing time come late Jan and early Feb. Keeping a 25 man spot open for a veteran will almost certainly (imo) find a higher upside asset come late winter that is actually flippable at the deadline if they perform.

Even if we draft someone, we can still drop other 40 man roster players to make roster room for FA's and waivers type pick ups.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 02:17 PM)

It's not like you're automatically stuck with the dude all year if he doesn't produce. If there's a guy you like in the rule 5, there's absolutely no reason not to take him.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)
It's not like you're automatically stuck with the dude all year if he doesn't produce. If there's a guy you like in the rule 5, there's absolutely no reason not to take him.

I just don't think that's how the Sox will view based on Covey and Nieto. But yea, in theory.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 02:25 PM)
I just don't think that's how the Sox will view based on Covey and Nieto. But yea, in theory.

Covey is still around so for some reason they seem to just like him. Nieto was somehow the best option at the time and wasn't embarrassing himself in the majors. I see the point you're trying to make, I just don't agree with it.

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 09:04 PM)
That’s kind of my point. Basically taking away a year of development from a 20 year old can wreck a career, and it’s not on Basabe, but the team. No real loss to them, but the player just missed out on 500 PA’s in Single A and instead sat on a ML bench all year.

That’s not right to the player.

The player does get a major league salary for the full-year (which might compensate for the lost development / ab's). Not sure which is ultimately more valuable to the individual.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 03:18 PM)
The player does get a major league salary for the full-year (which might compensate for the lost development / ab's). Not sure which is ultimately more valuable to the individual.

They also get locked into the retirement plan and health insurance I believe.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
Yep. It only takes 1 day of service time to obtain lifetime health insurance coverage and just 43 days to qualify for the pension which starts at $34,000/year.

Are you sure? It used to take 4 years to vest, and 10 years to max out.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 11:27 PM)
I think you are forgetting that these guys are going on the 40 man and we have to field a team of 25 from those 40. If we put too many low level prospects on the 40, then we would need to get them off it eventually and exposed them to being picked up by another team. If Hahn is confident that a prospect won't get pick, they are safer not putting them on and betting that no one will roster them for a whole year rather than losing them to a team that could just put them in the minors.

And I'm sorry, but Rick Hahn was one of the fastest rising gm candidates when we hired him and since he has taken full control he has been amazing while your involvment in the game of baseball strecthes as far as you can throw your beer can from your recliner when you're watching the highlights because you couldn't even be bothered to watch a whole game, so I'm going to have to side with Hahn's strategy on this one.

Which is precisely the extent of your involvement.. And you might check and learn his actual background.

Edited by GreenSox