White Sox add Gillaspie, Eloy, Basabe, Clarkin and Micker

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 03:58 PM)
Polo is by far the biggest surprise to me. Even if his bat isn't ready, he sounds like he would be able to play major league defense to me. The other two just aren't that surprising to me. Peter MIGHT be a utility guy if he can keep going. Guerrero has stalled at AA in an organization with a ton of pitching.

Guerrero had terrific peripherals last year, so I’m not sure stalling is a fair description. Plus while we may have a lot of pitching, we ceraintly don’t have a surplus of left-handed pitching.

I’m confident someone will draft him and stick him in their bullpen for a year. And it wouldn’t surprise me if he did well if used appropriately.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 07:28 PM)
I don't like not protecting Guerrero or Polo. I think Guerrero could become a Zach Duke type MR for the Sox. Drop two of Willy G/ Hanson/Albuquerque and add Guerrero/Polo.

Agreed. Albuquerque and Hanson can go for Guerrero and Polo

I don’t have a problem protecting guys like Clarkin & Basabe. However, not protecting Guerrero is pretty nuts to me when you look at some of the garbage on our 40 man roster. There’s at least four or five guys who could go and I wouldn’t bat an eye.

If we end up non-tendering someone before the Rule 5 draft, can we then add someone like Guerrero or Polo and they will be protected? I guess I’m not certain how the rules work here.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 05:36 PM)
Because he's young and toolsy. This time last year nobody really thought Micker was anything but then he went and had a pretty good season. If Basabe is hitting 220/250/300 as a 23 year old in A+ yea cut him loose but he's got plenty of time to figure things out. Next year will be his age 21 season he's got time.

I was in full support of protecting Micker because he has a very spacious ceiling. Basabe on the other hand, I don't think his ceiling is high enough to stash him for a full season when he's at least 2-3 year away from being a big league player.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 04:22 PM)
Clarkin, really? Nobody was going to pick that guy.

Then why did we trade for him. No argument with what you said, but the whole trade with Yanks has me miffed. They got a lot from us, three guys who played a big part in their pennant and playoff drive, and we get Clarkin, who should not have been protected according to many here, along with Rutherford, who fizzled in Low A.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 09:52 PM)
He has defensive versatility and speed, so yeah I do think he was a candidate to be stashed as a 5th OF on a rebuilding team.

Not to mention is a pretty good prospect who wasn't even age appropriate in A+. Yea, there's GMs who would definitely take a flier. You don't need to be Eloy Jimenez elite.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 07:56 PM)
Not to mention is a pretty good prospect who wasn't even age appropriate in A+. Yea, there's GMs who would definitely take a flier. You don't need to be Eloy Jimenez to be highly regarded.

This is fair, but if you are going to excuse his performance because he was young in A+, I struggle to see a great argument for why he will hold his own in MLB next season.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 09:23 PM)
True, we should save the rule 5 for can’t miss prospects

It's not about can't miss prospects. It's about will Pentecost be good enough to stay on the MLB roster for the entire season? If he had a strong arm or if his bat was further developed I'd be all over the idea.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 10:02 PM)
This is fair, but if you are going to excuse his performance because he was young in A+, I struggle to see a great argument for why he will hold his own in MLB next season.

It's not about holding his own. The guy can pinch run, play defense and get the occasional at bat. Nieto wasn't that great when we had him out of A ball and we sheltered him enough to keep him and that was when he was 24-25. This kid is only 21. A club can stash him, give him the big league expierence, 80-100 ABs and still put him in the low minors next year where he will still be age appropriate.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 08:08 PM)
It's not about holding his own. The guy can pinch run, play defense and get the occasional at bat. Nieto wasn't that great when we had him out of A ball and we sheltered him enough to keep him and that was when he was 24-25. This kid is only 21. A club can stash him, give him the big league expierence, 80-100 ABs and still put him in the low minors next year where he will still be age appropriate.

This is a LOT of guys.

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 10:11 PM)
That's where I really don't like the Rule V draft. No one can convince me that putting a kid like Basabe on an ML roster, giving up 80-100 ABs in 2018 is good for his development. But the team doesn't have any other choice.

Completely agree. San Diego for example might of scared off some clubs including ours with what they did last year. It use to not be like this.