White Sox add Gillaspie, Eloy, Basabe, Clarkin and Micker

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WestSuburbanSox @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 10:34 PM)
I’d like to see us pick up Nestor Cortes in the Rule 5. He might fail at the highest level but he has defied expectations consistently and he works quickly.

Very good post and no kidding. His numbers are very good, plus he's left handed and only 22. Would love the move but I doubt he falls to us.

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 10:11 PM)
That's where I really don't like the Rule V draft. No one can convince me that putting a kid like Basabe on an ML roster, giving up 80-100 ABs in 2018 is good for his development. But the team doesn't have any other choice.

Totally agree. Doesn't seem right messing with young guys like that. And especially now with parity disappearing and the super tankers becoming more popular, I see the potential for bad precedents being set.

What the hell is the reasoning for Albuquerque over Tito, Guerrero or Peter? What is the front office thinking there? They are obviously WAY smarter and more informed than any of us so I'm trying to wrap my head around it. Is there still time to make changes?

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 10:11 PM)
That's where I really don't like the Rule V draft. No one can convince me that putting a kid like Basabe on an ML roster, giving up 80-100 ABs in 2018 is good for his development. But the team doesn't have any other choice.

It may not be good for the players dev, but for the team they got a fairly low risk acquisition that has the talent to potentially blossom. If Basabe didn’t pan out b/c they rushed him, they are exactly where they were before.

I also don’t think Basabe was so likely, but it definitely seems like the industry opinion on Basabe is way higher on him than on Polo. They could be wrong, hopefully we end up with both.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 08:20 PM)
How do you keep Covey, Saladino, Hanson, and Garcia and not protect Guerrero, Polo, and Peter?

Good question. But protecting AAAA players and bad veterans over prospects is not that surprising considering the way the FO had operated through June of 2016. Hahn is back to his old habits.

How in the world can you expose a prospect in order to protect Al Albequerque or Farquar, or Petricka, or....

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 11:04 PM)
Good question. But protecting AAAA players and bad veterans over prospects is not that surprising considering the way the FO had operated through June of 2016. Hahn is back to his old habits.

How in the world can you expose a prospect in order to protect Al Albequerque or Farquar, or Petricka, or....

I think you are forgetting that these guys are going on the 40 man and we have to field a team of 25 from those 40. If we put too many low level prospects on the 40, then we would need to get them off it eventually and exposed them to being picked up by another team. If Hahn is confident that a prospect won't get pick, they are safer not putting them on and betting that no one will roster them for a whole year rather than losing them to a team that could just put them in the minors.

And I'm sorry, but Rick Hahn was one of the fastest rising gm candidates when we hired him and since he has taken full control he has been amazing while your involvment in the game of baseball strecthes as far as you can throw your beer can from your recliner when you're watching the highlights because you couldn't even be bothered to watch a whole game, so I'm going to have to side with Hahn's strategy on this one.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 12:27 AM)
I think you are forgetting that these guys are going on the 40 man and we have to field a team of 25 from those 40. If we put too many low level prospects on the 40, then we would need to get them off it eventually and exposed them to being picked up by another team. If Hahn is confident that a prospect won't get pick, they are safer not putting them on and betting that no one will roster them for a whole year rather than losing them to a team that could just put them in the minors.

And I'm sorry, but Rick Hahn was one of the fastest rising gm candidates when we hired him and since he has taken full control he has been amazing while your involvment in the game of baseball strecthes as far as you can throw your beer can from your recliner when you're watching the highlights because you couldn't even be bothered to watch a whole game, so I'm going to have to side with Hahn's strategy on this one.

Very good point. We can’t protect everyone without losing some roster flexibility moving forward. It’s a calculated risk that no other club will roster polo, Guerrero or Peter the entire season.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 07:43 AM)
Guerrero is the only one that bothers me that is not protected. I would of DFA'd May for him. No one is gonna take Polo and Peter is a utility player.

I wonder what Hahn’s rationale is behind Guerrero being left off and keeping a guy like Covey on the 40 man roster. Is there something I am missing? Other than it is the rule 5 draft and they have to keep a player on their major league roster for a season.

Edited by New Era on South Side

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 07:43 AM)
Guerrero is the only one that bothers me that is not protected. I would of DFA'd May for him. No one is gonna take Polo and Peter is a utility player.

Agree with this. Guerrero is pretty much our top left-handing pitching prospect plus is pretty close to major league ready. He may of faced long odds to earn a permanent spot in our rotation, but our bullpen is wide open right now, especially from the left side. I’m not overly concerned about Polo being selected and while I would have protected Peter, his upside is truly that of a utility player.

And a guy like Jacob May is like 10th on the depth chart right now for OFs and has basically no chance of a snagging a long-term role. Right now we have three guys who will compete for the starting CF job in Garcia, Engel, & Tilson plus Cordell who might get some time there. May definitely doesn’t have the power to profile as corner OF, so what purpose does he really serve?

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 11:04 PM)
That’s kind of my point. Basically taking away a year of development from a 20 year old can wreck a career, and it’s not on Basabe, but the team. No real loss to them, but the player just missed out on 500 PA’s in Single A and instead sat on a ML bench all year.

That’s not right to the player.

Yeah, I don't necessarily know the way around it except maybe make it different for lat am signings who start in the league so young.

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 08:59 AM)
I wonder what Hahn’s rationale is behind Guerrero being left off and keeping a guy like Covey on the 40 man roster. Is there something I am missing? Other than it is the rule 5 draft and they have to keep a player on their major league roster for a season.

The decision might have to do with once you put a player on your 40 man roster, they must pass through waivers before being taken off of it. Protecting too many players would limit our roster flexibility this offseason by loading up on players not ready for the major leagues yet.

I doubt Peter get selected, but a team could eye Polo as a quality fourth outfielder. Guerrero we are in danger of losing, especially the teams that notice his FIP and XFIP from 2017.

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 06:51 PM)
Also keep in mind, like everything.....the Front Office knows more than we ever will about certain situations. I assume with cases like this, GM's talk and get a feel of who they need to protect.

This is a great post. They probably have done way more indepth studies of each team, their 40 man rosters and who they have to protect to be able to project who will be available and who will be the mostly likely to pick players to get an idea of how far they need to go in protecting players. For a guy to get picked, is he going to have fairly high on the overall list of players out there. For example only 18 guys got picked last time around. It was 16 in 2015 and 14 in 2014.

Is Guerrero going to be rated higher than that many players out there? I haven't seen a preview yet, but that is worth asking/exploring. This is a list of players from top 30 lists who are exposed.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/261944130/pr...osed-to-rule-5/

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 08:18 AM)
And a guy like Jacob May is like 10th on the depth chart right now for OFs and has basically no chance of a snagging a long-term role.

This is true but I think the Sox probably think someone in this group of higher floor/low ceiling prospects could become a Semien type which we've seen can be of value.

Whereas with the young high ceiling guys, there's the compound reason for non-protection....which is (1) most flop (2) they're less attractive to teams picking because of their youth .....San Diego notwithstanding.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 09:12 AM)
The decision might have to do with once you put a player on your 40 man roster, they must pass through waivers before being taken off of it. Protecting too many players would limit our roster flexibility this offseason by loading up on players not ready for the major leagues yet.

I doubt Peter get selected, but a team could eye Polo as a quality fourth outfielder. Guerrero we are in danger of losing, especially the teams that notice his FIP and XFIP from 2017.

Plus any free agent signings will come with kicking off a 40 man guy. We won't bat an eye kicking off albuquerque, etc, but if we loaded with all of our young guys we would not be able to sign anyone.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 12:49 PM)
This is a great post. They probably have done way more indepth studies of each team, their 40 man rosters and who they have to protect to be able to project who will be available and who will be the mostly likely to pick players to get an idea of how far they need to go in protecting players. For a guy to get picked, is he going to have fairly high on the overall list of players out there. For example only 18 guys got picked last time around. It was 16 in 2015 and 14 in 2014.

Is Guerrero going to be rated higher than that many players out there? I haven't seen a preview yet, but that is worth asking/exploring. This is a list of players from top 30 lists who are exposed.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/261944130/pr...osed-to-rule-5/

Dom Nunez, Jason Martin, and some of the arms seem interesting. Not much beyond that, though. It's a group in which I could see Jordan Guerrero in the top 5.

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 01:23 PM)
Dom Nunez, Jason Martin, and some of the arms seem interesting. Not much beyond that, though. It's a group in which I could see Jordan Guerrero in the top 5.

These three were from longenhagen as 3 that surprised him weren't protected:

Ryan O'Hearn

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?playe...itting/2017/ALL

Carlos Tocci (CF)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register...id=tocci-000car

Wyatt Strahan

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register...id=straha000wya

Also Charcer Burks from the cubs

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register...id=burks-000cha

Would Nick Burdi make sense for us? We already have his brother and should have an idea as to his medicals. He had TJ surgery in May so he could begin on the 60 day dl. When ready, he could have a decent amount of time on a rehab assignment prior to joining the majors in what would likely be the second half of the season. Prior to injury, his profile was much like his brother's, 80 FB and 65 Slider rating with a lesser change up but potential closer ability. 25 in Jan. We wouldn't need him to be great in 2018, just survive.

Second thought. If it is our pick and our targets are gone, can we draft our own player? Guerrero or Peter or Polo? I like all of them better than some we kept.

Edited by BamaDoc