White Sox add Gillaspie, Eloy, Basabe, Clarkin and Micker

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 03:46 PM)
White Sox chose not to protect: UTIL Jake Peter, LHP Jordan Guerrero, and OF Tito Polo. Any of them could potentially get taken. I think they could add more guys after the non-tender deadline too though.

Polo is by far the biggest surprise to me. Even if his bat isn't ready, he sounds like he would be able to play major league defense to me. The other two just aren't that surprising to me. Peter MIGHT be a utility guy if he can keep going. Guerrero has stalled at AA in an organization with a ton of pitching.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 04:02 PM)
I'm surprised Guerrero is mad. If he's picked he is in the majors next year, if he's not he's in...the same place with the org he already was in.

Isn't the rule 5 draft kind of a favor to exactly these sort of players?

Maybe he overcooked his pizza.

I'm surprised Guerrero is mad. If he's picked he is in the majors next year, if he's not he's in...the same place with the org he already was in.

This is what I thought too. There would actually be a chance of this benefiting him.

Edited by soxfan2014

Well it's also an extra like $50k salary a year, and dramatically increases their chances of seeing the majors that year.

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 04:44 PM)
Am I missing something about Guerrero, is he really that good, good enough to stay on the majors all season? Would Peters get picked, or did they not add him because of the logjam of infielders they currently have?

Was Covey really that good? He's good enough to put in the bullpen for a year.

I honestly am much less worried about Polo than others. He's not very likely to be picked imo.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 05:02 PM)

I get it from a competitive standpoint -- as a player you want to feel wanted and obviously he gets a nice little pay increase as a 40 man member as well. But yea this really just means he now has a decent shot at being on MLB roster next year.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 04:58 PM)
Anyone has the link of the latest 40 man roster? ESPN shows the corpses of Covey, Volstad, Brantly and May still on the list. And also the chances of Basebe getting picked is pretty slim, don't agree with decision to protect him him over Polo.

I don't have a link, but I have a list of the current one:

1 SP Carlos Rodon

2 SP James Shields

3 SP Reynaldo Lopez

4 SP Lucas Giolito

5 SP Carson Fulmer

6 SP Ian Clarkin

7 SP Dylan Covey

8 RP Nate Jones

9 RP Aaron Bummer

10 RP Gregory Infante

11 RP Juan Minaya

12 RP Zach Putnam

13 RP Danny Farquhar

14 RP Jace Fry

15 RP Jake Petricka

16 RP AL Alburquerque

17 RP Thyago Vieira

18 C Kevan Smith

19 C Omar Narvaez

20 1B Jose Abreu

21 1B Casey Gillaspie

22 2B Yoan Moncada

23 2B Alen Hanson

24 3B Matt Davidson

25 SS Tim Anderson

26 SS Yolmer Sanchez

27 SS Tyler Saladino

28 OF Eloy Jimenez

29 OF Daniel Palka

30 OF Nicky Delmonico

31 OF Avisail Garcia

32 OF Leury Garcia

33 OF Willy Garcia

34 OF Jacob May

35 OF Charlie Tilson

36 OF Adam Engel

37 OF Ryan Cordell

38 OF Luis Basabe

39 OF Micker Adolfo

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 06:18 PM)
So am I the only one to question why in the world Basabe needs to be protected, other than the front office protecting their own assets there? He was awful in A ball.

Because he's young and toolsy. This time last year nobody really thought Micker was anything but then he went and had a pretty good season. If Basabe is hitting 220/250/300 as a 23 year old in A+ yea cut him loose but he's got plenty of time to figure things out. Next year will be his age 21 season he's got time.

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 06:41 PM)
But the debate is him being selected and placed on an MLB roster for the entire year, correct?

Some tanking club just might be desperate enough to try it. And imagine Basabe turns into a solid 3 WAR CF -- the fans and the GM would have a tough time explaining that one.

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 05:41 PM)
But the debate is him being selected and placed on an MLB roster for the entire year, correct?

With where we're at as a franchise and with what a lot of teams are doing these days, I just want to protect are talented assets. Chances are Basabe wouldn't have been selected but he's a talented dude and it only takes one team to take that chance. We have some dead weight on the 40 man, there's no reason not to protect some of these guys imo.

Edited by Rowand44