Abreu trade "unlikely"

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 12:49 PM)
Yeah Magneuris Sierra is a leadoff profile with elite level defense in CF. Flaherty and Sierra would probably be a nice deal for Sox.

If we could get those two plus someone like Zach Jackson as the high upside piece, I'd consider that a win.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
Yeah Magneuris Sierra is a leadoff profile with elite level defense in CF. Flaherty and Sierra would probably be a nice deal for Sox.

I'd be interested in a Flaherty + Sierra + Oviedo for Abreu deal. The cost is reasonable for the impact a bat like Abreu's would have on the Cardinals.

Flaherty would get a chance at a rotation spot right away in 2018, and Sierra would get a chance in CF. Oviedo would be young pitching depth with upside.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 12:02 PM)
That deal would really be a disappointment, for me. Very underwhelming. I'll bet that doesn't get it done.

I think we need to be realistic and not expect a return on the levels of Sale/Eaton/Quintana. Abreu is a great middle of the order bat, but with only two seasons of control teams will not be willing to empty out the farm when they can sign a Hosmer or Santana for only cash.

I would be shocked if the Sox were offered a top 40 overall in mlb prospect for two seasons of Abreu.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 11:16 AM)
I think we need to be realistic and not expect a return on the levels of Sale/Eaton/Quintana. Abreu is a great middle of the order bat, but with only two seasons of control teams will not be willing to empty out the farm when they can sign a Hosmer or Santana for only cash.

I would be shocked if the Sox were offered a top 40 overall in mlb prospect for two seasons of Abreu.

And that's exactly why it makes more sense to keep/extend him. The return isn't worth what we'd be losing.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
Jason Martinez of mlbtraderumors had this to say:

"Zamboni

5:44 Flaherty and Sierra get it done for the Cards for Abreu

Jason Martinez

5:45 I'd say one of their top pitching prospects, one of their best OF prospects and maybe one low-level guy with high upside. So Flaherty/Sierra could be in the vicinity of what it would take."

I'd prefer to swap Kelly and Flaherty based on organizational needs but that return would be absolutely outstanding.

Edited by cjgalloway

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 12:19 PM)
And that's exactly why it makes more sense to keep/extend him. The return isn't worth what we'd be losing.

Right now I have settled in the try to trade Abreu and Avi camp, although I could change my opinion. I just feel that a rebuilding club like ours should not be spending large amounts of money when we are going to likely not compete in 2018 and 2019 anyway.

We need to stockpile as much young talent as possible and have complete payroll flexibility moving forward into our "window" from 2020-2024 theoretically. I love Abreu, but I get the feeling the organization would prefer to deal him for a solid return instead of an extension.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 12:19 PM)

We are losing 90 games with or without Abreu in 2018, why not fully commit to tanking? Having the #1 or #2 overall draft pick in 2019 would not be a bad thing for our future when we aren't going to the playoffs anytime soon.

Sox fans need to be prepared to admit that 2018 and 2019 could be ugly still as rotation questions get answered and we build a bullpen from the ground up.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
We are losing 90 games with or without Abreu in 2018, why not fully commit to tanking? Having the #1 or #2 overall draft pick in 2019 would not be a bad thing for our future when we aren't going to the playoffs anytime soon.

Sox fans need to be prepared to admit that 2018 and 2019 could be ugly still as rotation questions get answered and we build a bullpen from the ground up.

I do think we can compete in 2019, but that's beside the point-

I value his leadership more than most, I suppose. It's not just an on the field issue to me. We've had major clubhouse issues over the years and he has been vital to maintaining it

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)

I value his leadership more than most, I suppose. It's not just an on the field issue to me. We've had major clubhouse issues over the years and he has been vital to maintaining it

That is just such a soft argument to me though.. You can sign a cheap leader if that's what you're worried about. Get me a good young prospect or two who have a legit chance to make an impact during our contention period.

Edited by cjgalloway

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 12:49 PM)

I'm all for veteran leadership, but not at a cost of $20 million per season on a losing team.

Is there a chance we compete in 2019? Of course, but I would bet on us being a .500 team or less still. Our young players will go through growing pains as they enter the major leagues and we need to completely rebuild the bullpen.

2019 opening day roster

C- Narvaez + ?

1B - possibly Abreu or ?

2B - Moncada

SS - Beckham

3B - ?

LF - Jimenez

CF - ?

RF - maybe Avi or ?

DH - ?

Bench?

Rotation

Rodon?

Kopech

Giolito

Lopez

Hansen?

Dunning?

Stephens?

Adams?

Fulmer?

Bullpen????

The picture is too cloudy right now for us to determine what 2019 is going to look like. The next wave of prospects like Jimenez, Kopech, Collins, Hansen and Dunning should likely be up at the mlb level by 2019 at some point.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 12:00 PM)
I'm all for veteran leadership, but not at a cost of $20 million per season on a losing team.

Is there a chance we compete in 2019? Of course, but I would bet on us being a .500 team or less still. Our young players will go through growing pains as they enter the major leagues and we need to completely rebuild the bullpen.

2019 opening day roster

C- Narvaez + ?

1B - possibly Abreu or ?

2B - Moncada

SS - Beckham

3B - ?

LF - Jimenez

CF - ?

RF - maybe Avi or ?

DH - ?

Bench?

Rotation

Rodon?

Kopech

Giolito

Lopez

Hansen?

Dunning?

Stephens?

Adams?

Fulmer?

Bullpen????

The picture is too cloudy right now for us to determine what 2019 is going to look like. The next wave of prospects like Jimenez, Kopech, Collins, Hansen and Dunning should likely be up at the mlb level by 2019 at some point.

Did you confuse Tim Beckham and Tim Anderson?

But now you've oversimplified it- he's veteran leadership and a damn good hitter for $20 mil per season. Sure, it's a losing team now, but having one good hitter in your lineup isn't gonna stop us from getting a top draft pick. He has shown no signs of slowing down yet, meaning he could very well be the same Abreu when we're competitive in a couple years.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)

The leadership is important but how are we going to convince impact free agents to sign with us next season if we’re coming a worst in baseball finish? I get money is the most important factor, but if multiple teams are offering roughly the same you don’t want to be the one club coming off a last place season with tons of question marks. The Sox are not going to sit out the best free agent class in years, so this has to be considered as part of their offseason strategy.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 02:23 AM)
Throwing some offers out there....

From Red Sox:

3B Michael Chavis (BOS #2, MLB #92), OF Cole Brannen (BOS #9), RHP Bryan Mata (BOS #14)

From Rockies:

3B Colton Welker (COL #4), C Tom Murphy (COL #9), LHP Ben Bowden (COL #16)

Adding in the Cardinals interest....

From Cardinals:

OF Tyler O'Neill (STL #4, MLB #86), RHP Dakota Hudson (STL #8), SS Edmundo Sosa (STL #12), OF Jonathan Machado (STL #22)

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
The leadership is important but how are we going to convince impact free agents to sign with us next season if we’re coming a worst in baseball finish? I get money is the most important factor, but if multiple teams are offering roughly the same you don’t want to be the one club coming off a last place season with tons of question marks. The Sox are not going to sit out the best free agent class in years, so this has to be considered as part of their offseason strategy.

I don't get your point. If you don't want to finish dead last, wouldn't you want to keep Abreu?

2019 opening day roster

C- Narvaez + ?

1B - possibly Abreu or ?

2B - Moncada

SS - Beckham

3B - ?

LF - Jimenez

CF - ?

RF - maybe Avi or ?

DH - ?

Bench?

Rotation

Rodon?

Kopech

Giolito

Lopez

Hansen?

Dunning?

Stephens?

Adams?

Fulmer?

Bullpen????

Why are you assuming no free agents when deciding if we can be competitive in 2019?

And a bullpen can be built in one year. Jones, Burdi, Fulmer, Vieira, Stephens, Bummer, & Fry is a decent starting point. Add a couple impact relievers and you could be pretty much set. This is assuming Jones & Burdi come back healthy (obviously not a guarantee), but if not, we have other guys in the system who might be able to snag a role by then or we can always trade to fill a spot.