Abreu trade "unlikely"

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 01:43 PM)
I don't see how unless you're of the camp that doesn't want to trade Abreu regardless. I'd be surprised if we got a deal of Flaherty and Sierra for Abreu.. Seems too good to not jump all over

I know Flaherty is pretty good, but is Sierra at the level where that's a deal we can't turn down?

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)
I know Flaherty is pretty good, but is Sierra at the level where that's a deal we can't turn down?

Any second piece is going to have question marks. To get anyone as the second piece that we could immediately plug into the MLB would be a cant turn down deal. He has potential and is a great defensive CF. He's the second piece not first.. If you think that trade is light then people are going to get really upset if we wind up trading him and we see what we get. However, I hope I'm wrong

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 01:57 PM)
Any second piece is going to have question marks. To get anyone as the second piece that we could immediately plug into the MLB would be a cant turn down deal. He has potential and is a great defensive CF. He's the second piece not first.. If you think that trade is light then people are going to get really upset if we wind up trading him and we see what we get. However, I hope I'm wrong

I'm arguing semantics, but I just don't think its something that is too good to pass up. A deal with the second piece being plug and play ML talent would be too good to pass up, but I feel like we could reasonably pass up on a deal with a second piece with big question marks. I'm not saying it isn't a fair proposal, but not all fair proposals are can't pass proposals.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 01:57 PM)

I still think this is all smoke and we don't trade Abreu.

But, in the event that we do trade him, I think people are actually going to be very pleased with the return rather than upset. Hahn has repeatedly stated that he'd need to be overwhelmed to actually pull the trigger on an Abreu deal, and no Heyman tweet is going to change that.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 03:29 PM)
If it's true that Hahn needs to be "overwhelmed, in order to trade Abreu," Flaherty and Sierra is hardly "overwhelming".

I doubt Hahn needs to be truly overwhelmed. If Abreu was 26/27 years old with 3 or 4 years remaining on his contract then it would be a different story completely, but he's still a quality asset controlled for two seasons.

He's valuable, but I would be astonished if a team parted with its very best prospects (depending on system of course) for him. The White Sox can ask for Devers, Benintendi, Rogers, etc. but they aren't getting those guys in exchange for Abreu.

In order for any deal to actualize we need to start with a sky high price, and have the negotiations take us to a place where the price is still fairly high, but acceptable for the Abreu suitor.

Abreu makes sense for the Astros, Cardinals, Rockies, Indians and Red Sox right now, just remains to be seen if they want to pay the price.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
I doubt Hahn needs to be truly overwhelmed. If Abreu was 26/27 years old with 3 or 4 years remaining on his contract then it would be a different story completely, but he's still a quality asset controlled for two seasons.

He's valuable, but I would be astonished if a team parted with its very best prospects (depending on system of course) for him. The White Sox can ask for Devers, Benintendi, Rogers, etc. but they aren't getting those guys in exchange for Abreu.

In order for any deal to actualize we need to start with a sky high price, and have the negotiations take us to a place where the price is still fairly high, but acceptable for the Abreu suitor.

Abreu makes sense for the Astros, Cardinals, Rockies, Indians and Red Sox right now, just remains to be seen if they want to pay the price.

My exact thoughts.

Interesting take from Jeff Sullivan from a Fangraphs chat today:

mthood: Who has more trade value: Giancarlo Stanton (and his entire contract with an opt-out) or two years of Jose Abreu with a projected 2018 salary of $17.9 million?

Jeff Sullivan: I know this is going to sound nuts but I’m pretty sure the answer is Abreu

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 09:35 PM)
How could it not be Abreu? Stanton's contact is a nightmare.

Definitely could be, but it will be interesting to see what the Marlins get for him and how much money they’ll have to eat. Will give us some directional indication of Abrue’s value.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 09:39 PM)
Definitely could be, but it will be interesting to see what the Marlins get for him and how much money they’ll have to eat. Will give us some directional indication of Abrue’s value.

It really will be an interesting measuring stick. If you think his contract has no surplus, every dollar retained is surplus, so its basically how much surplus are prospects really worth.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 10:06 PM)
Interesting take from Jeff Sullivan from a Fangraphs chat today:

I agree with Sullivan here. Stanton's contract is so long and not team friendly due to the opt out.

Teams can deal for two seasons of Abreu and have a good idea of what they are getting in return, not the same case at all with Stanton's mega contract.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
Hopefully Stanton picks the Giants this week and then the Cardinals turn their attention towards Abreu. All just in time for the Winter Meetings next week.

Abreu should remain in demand because he won't require teams to hand out 3+ year deals to players like Santana and Hosmer. The Sox know this and will keep his asking price very high until they know they are getting the most value possible.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 09:47 AM)
Cards just signed Mikolas so now they have even more SP depth to trade from. Making Flaherty and possibly even Reyes now available. If Hahn could get Reyes he would have reached his "asking for an arm and both legs" assumption.

Totally. I love said repeatedly that I don't see Abreu going this year... BUT if they dropped Reyes in the bucket then you bet your sweet ass he's outta here! 🙏🏻

:wub:

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 11:47 AM)
Cards just signed Mikolas so now they have even more SP depth to trade from. Making Flaherty and possibly even Reyes now available. If Hahn could get Reyes he would have reached his "asking for an arm and both legs" assumption.

I’d do a trade built around Reyes, but Flaherty doesn’t do enough for me. We got enough guys with similar or higher ceilings that will need to be given opportunities in the next year or so.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 01:28 PM)
I’d do a trade built around Reyes, but Flaherty doesn’t do enough for me. We got enough guys with similar or higher ceilings that will need to be given opportunities in the next year or so.

Flaherty has the look of a guy who could develop into a mid rotation starter eventually, but I would certainly need more to ship Abreu off. I don't love the Cardinals position player prospect crop right now to say what other pieces I would need.