White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)
If a deal for Machado does go down today or this weekend and the Sox end up getting him, there could be an explosion on the board. I've been checking in every 30 minutes or so half expecting the error message pop up saying the site is too busy.

At the very least, it would be fun to see him play in 2018. But if they do get him and don't re-sign him, or eventually flip him for prospects at least as highly thought of as the ones they give up, I'm with Balta, heads need to roll.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)
This I agree with. They have to be prepared to match any offer or at least offer fair market value like bmags implies (say $350M). If they’re expecting a discount they shouldn’t waste their time & prospects. I don’t believe they’re expecting a discount though.

The White Sox MO has been not paying the top price but relying on the selling job and signing players for a little less. Albert Belle was an exception. Not many others, if any.

That's why I assume the hey check us out, see how nice we are, attempt, would be an attempt to get a top of the line player at a discount price, because hey aren't we nice?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)
There are other teams that plan on offering him the most cash as well. He’s going to be one of the most desired free agents in baseball history. I can’t believe you think it’s as simple as offering the most money when the Yankees & Dodgers will be involved. There will be multiple teams that likely end up in the same basic range by the end of the process. Again, his decision will likely come down to non-financial considerations. Our best bet of landing Machado is to form a bond with the player (this is more than just culture) and then be prepared to match any offer he receives. If we go in without that benefit, landing him is going to be an uphill battle.

Left out of a ton of this conversation is whether it is a good idea for the White Sox franchise to pursue a free agent like Machado, who is predicted to end up with a $300-400 million contract over 10+ years.

We all would love to have Machado, but I really wonder if it is in the club's best interest to sign a player to mega money for 10+ years, full NTC, multiple opt outs, etc. It looks like a great idea now, but paying a player $30-40 million when he is over ago 30 might not look so good. Thoughts?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 01:14 PM)
That’s the normal White Sox move.

Bring in Donaldson or Turner a year or two late...stay out of the Arenado and Machado sweepstakes. Of course, Dunn and Robertson were big dollars at their respective positions, but not anywhere close to $300 million plus contracts.

We shall see.

JR signed Belle to the biggest contract in MLB history. He's not going to shy away from it if that's what it takes.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 11:20 AM)
Left out of a ton of this conversation is whether it is a good idea for the White Sox franchise to pursue a free agent like Machado, who is predicted to end up with a $300-400 million contract over 10+ years.

We all would love to have Machado, but I really wonder if it is in the club's best interest to sign a player to mega money for 10+ years, full NTC, multiple opt outs, etc. It looks like a great idea now, but paying a player $30-40 million when he is over ago 30 might not look so good. Thoughts?

I have a lot more interest in signing a 26-year old star at 10 years as opposed to the 30/31-year old stars at 10 yeras (Pujols, Cano...I'm looking at you).

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)

If you're locking him up for 10 years 300+ million there's no opt out. It would probably be a dealbreaker for me. Having an opt out at say 28 would be brutal. He'd almost assuredly take it and would leave the Sox holding all the downside risk on the deal and none of the upside.

These opt outs are poison pills.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 11:21 AM)
If you're locking him up for 10 years 300+ million there's no opt out. It would probably be a dealbreaker for me. Having an opt out at say 28 would be brutal. He'd almost assuredly take it and would leave the Sox holding all the downside risk on the deal and none of the upside.

There's no way they'd sign him then. Yankees love giving out those opt-outs. I wouldn't mind giving him one after his 4th and/or 5th year (which would be after his age 30/31 seasons).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 11:16 AM)
At the very least, it would be fun to see him play in 2018. But if they do get him and don't re-sign him, or eventually flip him for prospects at least as highly thought of as the ones they give up, I'm with Balta, heads need to roll.

Yeah, I agree. If he ends up coming here and plays the season and then signs elsewhere, that would be the worst case scenario. I would hope that Machado understands that coming to the Sox now means he's going to be part of a rebuild for at least one year. Or he would understand that he'll be flipped at the deadline.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 11:21 AM)

They are also godsends to ownership if they can help themselves. When Belle opted out, huge favor to JR, when ARod opted out, Yankees would have loved to have passed, same with Sabatthia.

Give Machado an opt out after his age 30 or 31 season. And then have the discipline to let him play his declining seasons, even if he has a couple of decent ones in him, somewhere else. And reallocate the funds.

Wouldn’t holding onto Kahnle have given them just as good a shot at signing Machado after 2018 (at least they’d have a legit closer) than trying to convince him now?

Next offseason, Hahn’s going to have to get all of those weak spots covered (similar to the strategy of signing Cabrera, LaRoche and Robertson) right on top of each other...before he can get a commitment from a legit Top 5-10 FA.

Or Kopech, Jimenez, Moncada, etc., are all going to have to play like monsters and the real Rodon is going to need to show up finally.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 01:21 PM)

I have no issue with the opt out.

If we're signing him, it's because we're going to win a world series between 2019-2021. That should be the plan, that should be the big board, that should be the "Tar and feather your GM if this doesn't happen" setup.

The upside risk is the trophy. That's the only thing that matters. Seriously.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)
They are also godsends to ownership if they can help themselves. When Belle opted out, huge favor to JR, when ARod opted out, Yankees would have loved to have passed, same with Sabatthia.

Give Machado an opt out after his age 30 or 31 season. And then have the discipline to let him play his declining seasons, even if he has a couple of decent ones in him, somewhere else. And reallocate the funds.

I'll still offer them a trade of all the money back after ARod's opt out in exchange for them giving up the 2009 world series title. Do you think they take it?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 12:09 PM)
I can't believe you think having him play a non competitive season for the team will help the White Sox cause.

The Dodgers have Seager and Turner at SS and 3B. The Yankees may or may not be in the market for a 3B next season.

If the White Sox want to sign the player, they are going to have to offer him the most attractive deal. He can talk to Ricky Renteria during negotiations. They can put together a presentation.

Better be a hell of a presentation if it can convey a human connection as well S six to eight months with actual people would.

And I’m not sure Turner is going to prevent the Dodgers from pursuing a generational talent.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 11:29 AM)
Better be a hell of a presentation if it can convey a human connection as well S six to eight months with actual people would.

And I’m not sure Turner is going to prevent the Dodgers from pursuing a generational talent.

How do teams including the White Sox ever sign free agents if they need to play with them for a season to get the lay of the land?

Won't these other teams you are worrying about have the same issue?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)
Wouldn’t holding onto Kahnle have given them just as good a shot at signing Machado after 2018 (at least they’d have a legit closer) than trying to convince him now?

Next offseason, Hahn’s going to have to get all of those weak spots covered (similar to the strategy of signing Cabrera, LaRoche and Robertson) right on top of each other...before he can get a commitment from a legit Top 5-10 FA.

Or Kopech, Jimenez, Moncada, etc., are all going to have to play like monsters and the real Rodon is going to need to show up finally.

Too early to be drinking, even in China.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
I'll still offer them a trade of all the money back after ARod's opt out in exchange for them giving up the 2009 world series title. Do you think they take it?

Nope, unless Rick Pitino was their manager that year.

Looking at the Cubs being stuck with Heyward is scary...though. Unless you’re the Tigers and can magically dump Fielder, Kinsler, Verlander and Upton. Not so easy with Miggy and Victor Martinez, though.

On the other hand, the Sox have made so many bad FA deals, one of them has to go right eventually.

We’re also quite lucky not to be stuck with Alex Gordon’s deal. Back and forth with arguments and counter arguments. It’s so easy to be gun shy/risk averse, but that went out the window when you traded Eaton/Sale/Q and signed Robert.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 11:31 AM)
How do teams including the White Sox ever sign free agents if they need to play with them for a season to get the lay of the land?

Won't these other teams you are worrying about have the same issue?

It's the weirdest logic I've seen.

Money & contract details is 99% of it. If the Sox aren't planning on making/matching the best offer they have no chance at him whether he plays half a season here or not.

While people say he'll take the best offer, it's easy for me to foresee a scenario where teams like the Phillies and Cardinals offer the most money, but he opts to go to the Yankees lesser offer that keeps them under the luxury tax to be more competitive.

So yes, I do think there is a competitive tier we can be in that will rely on some je nais sai quois that could be involved in influencing, including locking down another big 2018 free agent before him.

But still not in favor of this trade! I just think the whole "he'll take best offer" isn't necessarily accurate after the way we've seen the last few years shake out.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)

I see no way he agrees to a deal without multiple opt outs and a full no trade clause. His contract will be all upside for him and all downside for the club signing him. If he gets seriously injured your club suffers for a decade.