White Sox sign Miguel Gonzalez

bmags

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 11:28 AM)
Shields could be dropped to the pen also and no one would be mad.

Heck, with a rotation that young I wouldn't mind going to a 6 man rotation for a few weeks either if the roster could take it.

I read where Shields was in line to start on Opening Day. Probably the worst opening day starter the White Sox have thrown out their since Jaime Navarro.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 11:28 AM)

Heck, with a rotation that young I wouldn't mind going to a 6 man rotation for a few weeks either if the roster could take it.

I'm sure they will at times just to help the young arms and give more rest.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 12:10 PM)
Pardon my ignorance, but can he be cut since he was a Rule 5 last year? I'm not sure how that works.

I believe that Rule 5 guys just need to stay on the active roster for the first year. After that, they become just like any other player, subject to the standard contract/options/service time/etc.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 09:29 AM)
I read where Shields was in line to start on Opening Day. Probably the worst opening day starter the White Sox have thrown out their since Jaime Navarro.

I was one of the biggest opponents of the Shields trade and agree with your sentiment but I will also say this... I think he will surprise us all in 2018.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 05:29 PM)

Miguel is OK by me. How were his peripherals before I decide whether he's good or not. I don't despise him or anything. As far as Shields/Opening Day. Geez. If he pitches Opening Day it's telling the world and our fans: "The White Sox wish to tank one more season. Please bear with us as we tank. And please enjoy your 25 dollar parking and 10 dollar beer. We are allowed to charge that while giving you James Shields one more season before we get good. That is all."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 12:28 PM)

True. I also suppose Fulmer would also be a bullpen candidate depending on his early starting performances.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 01:41 PM)
Miguel is OK by me. How were his peripherals before I decide whether he's good or not. I don't despise him or anything. As far as Shields/Opening Day. Geez. If he pitches Opening Day it's telling the world and our fans: "The White Sox wish to tank one more season. Please bear with us as we tank. And please enjoy your 25 dollar parking and 10 dollar beer. We are allowed to charge that while giving you James Shields one more season before we get good. That is all."

The order of the rotation doesn't matter. It's probably a good business move to have him start opening day on a Thursday since the other 2 games on Saturday and Sunday could be Giolito and Lopez games that may draw some fans (though it is early April).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 02:41 PM)

And you wonder why people think you're a troll. Stop trolling, and maybe people will stop calling you a troll.

And FYI his peripherals aren't very good, which is why he's a 5th starter on a one year 4.5 million dollar deal.

Best case the Sox flip him for a lotto ticket in July.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 01:57 PM)
And you wonder why people think you're a troll. Stop trolling, and maybe people will stop calling you a troll.

And FYI his peripherals aren't very good, which is why he's a 5th starter on a one year 4.5 million dollar deal.

Best case the Sox flip him for a lotto ticket in July.

Yep...just as they did in 2017.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 01:41 PM)

Greg, parking is $20. Only $10 on Sundays though.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 02:04 PM)
Also, for the price of beer, isn't it about $12 for a 22oz beer? That doesn't seem TOO bad to me honestly. That's almost 2 cans/bottles.

Last year I saw a guy buy 4 PBRs and it was $35. He gave the vendor $40 and told him to keep it. I was in Jewel later that day, a 30 pack of PBRs $13.99. Supposedly Chicago sports teams get their beer cheaper than any other business. The amount of profit is absolutely crazy.

Edited by Dick Allen