2018 MiLB White Sox news and notes

southsider2k5

19 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is a little surprising, no?

.314/.453/.619 line in rookie ball last year.

.261/.347/.384 is A ball this year.

I know his defense sucks, but seems pretty early to release him. I suppose at 24, he was pretty old for the level.  

40 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I know his defense sucks, but seems pretty early to release him. I suppose at 24, he was pretty old for the level.  

A 24 year old destroying Great Falls and AZL is not impressive of surprising when he's let go. If the team thought he was good he would have moved. 

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

A 24 year old destroying Great Falls and AZL is not impressive of surprising when he's let go. If the team thought he was good he would have moved. 

Seems a bit harsh.  A .314/.453/.619 line is fairly impressive is any league, and they probably wouldn't have wasted over 200 at bats on him this season if they saw nothing.  Didn't realize he was already 24 until I looked today, so it makes more sense considering his defensive shortcomings.  

51 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

In a deep farm system it is harder to keep limited players around as long.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

In a deep farm system it is harder to keep limited players around as long.

Yea this isn't the same farm from 2-3 years ago when it was shit and guys like Villa could've played out. Alot more interesting and promising prospects are in this org now and Sox have to see these kids play. 

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We get six still?

Robert, Burdi, maybe Hamilton, Dunning (based on health), Rutherford/Basabe...Lambert?

A lot depends on how hard they want to push Cease, and Dunning’s health.

Was Hansen there last year?  Ideally, they can get him on track before the offseason...so it depends where he is psychologically one month from now.  They could just as easily shut him down and hope he’s 100% out of the gate next year.

Madrigal will be 2019.  Long look in spring training, 2020.

On 8/7/2018 at 6:29 AM, shoeless_joe21 said:

In fairness, all he did was tweet "Lol."  For all we know he was laughing at how long it took for a team to select him, or something else entirely.

Guessing it was that.  He probably felt 33rd round was a slap in the face, especially since he appears to have been more signable than everyone thought. 

From today's FG chat

Rick Hahn: So, looks like my last several high draft picks have been pretty lousy – Fulmer to the pen, Anderson maybe average (flawed) player, Burger injured, Collins can’t catch, Hansen struggling and injured.  Madrigal the savior?

12:44

Kiley McDaniel: lol we have another rebuilding fan base hitting the panic button. A mid first rounder like Anderson turning into an average player is a success. Collins could be a 2-3 WAR DH/3rd catcher type. That’s a pretty average track record on first rounders, not something to worry about per se

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

From today's FG chat

Rick Hahn: So, looks like my last several high draft picks have been pretty lousy – Fulmer to the pen, Anderson maybe average (flawed) player, Burger injured, Collins can’t catch, Hansen struggling and injured.  Madrigal the savior?

12:44

Kiley McDaniel: lol we have another rebuilding fan base hitting the panic button. A mid first rounder like Anderson turning into an average player is a success. Collins could be a 2-3 WAR DH/3rd catcher type. That’s a pretty average track record on first rounders, not something to worry about per se

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

I believe Polo has been back in action the past few days (thought I saw where he hit a home run last night) to answer the question a poster asked earlier in this thread.

I have a question though, Hansen hasn't pitched since July 29, hasn't pitched at all since being sent back down. Is he working things out on the sidelines or is he hurt again?

13 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I believe Polo has been back in action the past few days (thought I saw where he hit a home run last night) to answer the question a poster asked earlier in this thread.

I have a question though, Hansen hasn't pitched since July 29, hasn't pitched at all since being sent back down. Is he working things out on the sidelines or is he hurt again?

I think I saw a tweet saying he was supposed to pitch but the game got rained out. He is supposed to pitch tomorrow I believe. 

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

How is a 12-2 record this year misleading about the way he has pitched?

His 1-10 record last year. Amazing how different it is after two years.

Its also certainly not a criticism of Dylan. Hell, I'm fighting @soxace and @fathom for front seat on that bandwagon.

1 minute ago, Heads22 said:

His 1-10 record last year. Amazing how different it is after two years.

Its also certainly not a criticism of Dylan. Hell, I'm fighting @soxace and @fathom for front seat on that bandwagon.

Ah, that's true although his higher WHIP and lower strikeout totals last year did hurt him.

Last year, Cease was almost laughably unlucky when he pitched. His defense betrayed him pretty much every start, multiple times. He was getting Quintana'd left and right. The difference between his ERA and RA was massive because of all the errors.

In addition, his biggest "problem" heading into this season was not pitching deep enough into games, but can you blame him when he had to throw an extra 20-30 pitches every night due to errors? 

Did anyone notice yet that Alex Call murders lefties? That might really help if Dan Palka ends up as our primary DH. The fact that he's a pretty good outfielder

could be good too. Give your starting OF's a day at DH when a lefty is pitching.