2018 MiLB White Sox news and notes

southsider2k5

44 minutes ago, MnSoxFan said:

Almost would have to be some type of off the field problems or attitude. 

As a baseball nut I'd love to know about this, even in minors, seems like it's always publicized in NFL, NBA, and even NHL more and more

Most MiLB guys are super good guys

50 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

As a baseball nut I'd love to know about this, even in minors, seems like it's always publicized in NFL, NBA, and even NHL more and more

Most MiLB guys are super good guys

It is really none of our business.

Former White Sox farmhand Courtney Hawkins got himself a half page article in the Houston Chronicle on Sunday based on his performance in a Texas independent league.

Hawkins started his professional career with Chicago’s rookie-level affiliate and in 2015 worked his way to the Class AA Birmingham Barons. But a series of injuries ultimately led to his release. He had a season-ending injury in 2015 and an oblique tear in 2016. In March 2017, he was diagnosed with hyperthyroid disease.

“I was always tired,” Hawkins said. “I was fidgety. My hands were shaking all the time. I couldn’t play ball like that. I tried to push through, just because I had injuries in the prior years. When you have your injuries in the prior years, the last thing you want is another injury to hold you back.”

Hawkins’ weight went from 245 to 220 pounds, and his strength decreased. So did his production. In 2016, he totaled 12 home runs and 60 RBIs while hitting .203 in 122 games.

Hawkins matched the 12 home runs in 2017, but his RBI total dropped to 33 while he hit .205 in 91 games.

Hawkins got off to a slow start in 2018, hitting .120 with no homers and three RBIs in nine games. The White Sox released him on April 18 and that month he signed with the Skeeters.

Hawkins has regained his power with Sugar Land, as evidenced by his 10 home runs (second in the Atlantic League) and 40 RBIs in 50 games through Saturday. In his last 10 games, Hawkins is hitting .310 (10-for-33).

He hopes to get picked up by a major league franchise and continue to pursue his dream of playing at the highest level.

“It’s only a matter of time before he gets picked up again, because there’s not many players with that kind of ceiling,” Skeeters manager Pete Incaviglia said. “(He has the) ability to not only hit for power, but he’s actually a pretty smart hitter. He’s got a good approach. It won’t be long before we’ll see him in the big leagues.”

Lambert promoted to AA. Park to A+.  I'm assuming Dunning goes to the DL

Dunning did put on his instagram story saying Praise the Lord and he was in Chicago so maybe good news. It has been taken down probably because nothing official has come out.

1 hour ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Our old buddy NIcky Basto is off to a hot start for the Nats' team in HIgh A, org. filler at this point, although amazed he is still 24
http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=621007#/career/R/hitting/2018/ALL

May none of the HSers we just picked end up like Basto

It's been 3 games... I mean you can call it a hot start but it might not even be enough sample size to constitute a "start" lol

What is the longest Robert has gone without getting hurt? I know these injuries aren’t all that serious in nature, but the consistency of them has to become a concern pretty soon. If you are hurt all the time when you are 20; I don’t see how that projects to being relatively healthy down the line.

Carson Fulmer got this writeup in the Sun-Times today.

Under the guidance of Knights pitching coach Steve McCatty, Fulmer is toiling on his mechanics. He’s using his powerful legs more to drive toward the plate and avoid side-to-side movement. Managing tempo and the consistency of his violent delivery — not to mention the basic act of throwing strikes — remain serious challenges.

Meanwhile, there is no telling if Fulmer will get another extended audition as a starter. But the rotation is where he aims to be, especially if and when the going gets good for the rebuilding Sox.