White Sox interested in adding a DH

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 06:54 PM)
It means the White Sox are going to have a very low team payroll in 2018. And it also means the 2019 team payroll will be even lower.

Baseball in 2018. Maybe when the current CBA ends after the 2021 season the Union will negotiate a salary floor or other mechanisms to discourage all out tanking. But right now the “have nots” are doing what they can to find a path to competing in the future. The Sox are banking on 2020-2024. Love it or leave it.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 06:34 PM)
1) They are rebuilding as cheaply as possible.

2) They are rebuilding as cheaply as possible.

3) They are rebuilding as cheaply as possible.

Money saved now could lead to spending more in future seasons once we are ready to compete. Foolish free agent spending would come back to haunt us, as we need to build from within and supplement with free agents when ready.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 07:54 PM)
It means the White Sox are going to have a very low team payroll in 2018. And it also means the 2019 team payroll will be even lower.

If they have a lower payroll in 2019 than in 2018 you may brag and consider yourself vindicated because I'm going to be seriously pissed off too. I do not believe that will happen at all.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 07:23 PM)
If they have a lower payroll in 2019 than in 2018 you may brag and consider yourself vindicated because I'm going to be seriously pissed off too. I do not believe that will happen at all.

If the Sox do not open up the checkbook next offseason then I would fully expect the pitchforks to come out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 08:23 PM)

I'd be more pissed if they are not taking advantage of opportunities of buying prospects whether that be trades or IFA. I don't really want them saddled with long term deals with FA yet.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 09:27 PM)
I'd be more pissed if they are not taking advantage of opportunities of buying prospects whether that be trades or IFA. I don't really want them saddled with long term deals with FA yet.

Next offseason? That's exactly what they should be doing. Saddle up on the long term deals, lock and load. 2018 should be the year of shaking things out. Try out the guys who need tryouts, limit yourself to as few of holes as possible.

Make your major splash before 2019. Leave a little bit of room to do damage in 2020 if needed, but whatever hole we say is the worst hole on the roster, next offseason we should fill that. Maybe the worst 2 - this team could easily afford 2 huge signings next offseason. Then roll with it, and our window is 2019-2022.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 08:30 PM)
Next offseason? That's exactly what they should be doing. Saddle up on the long term deals, lock and load. 2018 should be the year of shaking things out. Try out the guys who need tryouts, limit yourself to as few of holes as possible.

Make your major splash before 2019. Leave a little bit of room to do damage in 2020 if needed, but whatever hole we say is the worst hole on the roster, next offseason we should fill that. Maybe the worst 2 - this team could easily afford 2 huge signings next offseason. Then roll with it, and our window is 2019-2022.

If the guys are young enough sure but at this point it's kind of hard to even know where the holes are on the roster. It's all projection and wishful thinking

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 07:37 PM)
If the guys are young enough sure but at this point it's kind of hard to even know where the holes are on the roster. It's all projection and wishful thinking

And a little over a season's worth of data on some of these guys isn't a great sample size.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 07:37 PM)

That and the fact that Abreu and Avi Garcia are the two biggest unknowns for the future...and Moncada is their other realistic All-Star despite scuffling for long stretches of 2017.

You can project Anderson, Moncada and Jimenez pretty safely into 2019 but everything else is up in the air, with that group of Robert and then Burger/Collins/Rutherford/Adolfo/Sheets having so many possible outcomes.

Are Delmonico, Yolmer, Leury or Cordell everyday players? Or just trade bait?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 08:18 PM)
What should they be spending on right now?
They're not going to spend anything now, so there really is no point in saying what they should spend now. Keep in mind this ownership took Sanchez to arbitration over a small amount of money. They're doing the same thing to Ave Garcia.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 08:33 PM)
They're not going to spend anything now, so there really is no point in saying what they should spend now. Keep in mind this ownership took Sanchez to arbitration over a small amount of money. They're doing the same thing to Ave Garcia.

The White Sox probably have the fewest cases going to arbitration of any MLB team the last two decades...

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 09:42 PM)
It’s fine to have a different opinion, but at least back it up with SOME substance. It’s not asking a lot.
JR has said numerous times in public and privately that his baseball teams are more profitable when they have the low payrolls. That's what I see here. I don't really think at his stage in life he is going to change now. I'm expecting low payrolls for as long as he owns the team.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 06:37 PM)
What does this even mean? Lol

To me it means the beaten horse is dead and time to give it a kings funeral. :lol:

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 06:50 PM)
What’s an “expensive” rebuild? 2009-2016?

But having Miguel Cabrera instead of the Tigers?

Ha ha, Kenny's " rebuilding/retooling on the fly"

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 07:11 PM)
Yup, paying $50M for Luis Robert is rebuilding as cheaply as possible.

When does this clown get the boot?

I've mentioned Robert every time the " cheap " nonsense comes up and have yet to get a reply. ;)

A few people want to spend spend spend but fail to name logical free agents to spend on that fit into the plan. Whiners gonna whine.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 08:23 PM)
I will not brag or feel vindicated if I'm right. Frankly this whole situation stinks as far as I'm concerned.

They also signed Castillo to be their interim starting catcher. Could have gone cheap with a Narvaez/Smith platoon, but they actually added a veteran. They would spend the money if something out there made sense in both the short & long-run but typically there aren’t a lot of deals like that for teams in year 2 of a rebuild. They’ll most certainly be aggressive next year and are likely to spend more than they ever have in free agency.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 08:58 PM)
So going into the 2016 offseason, the offseason where the Sox traded Eaton and Sale, and eventually Quintana...what would you have done differently? Because up until that point, “JR” has financed competitive payrolls that haven’t worked out (Williams and Hahn being bad at their jobs is a totally different subject).

So what would you have wanted “JR” to do that offseason and beyond? Lay out some details.

He's going to say that JR was too cheap to spend enough to make them competitive. Hahn was hamstrung by ownership.

It's no use arguing. My complaint in 2016 was they wouldn't rebuild when they clearly needed to. You can't spend your way out of mediocrity anymore so the ownership bashers don't know how to respond.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 06:34 PM)
1) They are rebuilding as cheaply as possible.

2) They are rebuilding as cheaply as possible.

3) They are rebuilding as cheaply as possible.

1) that’s the point

2) that’s the point

3) that’s the point

You are so hilariously wrong about this rebuild

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 09:32 PM)
He's going to say that JR was too cheap to spend enough to make them competitive. Hahn was hamstrung by ownership.

It's no use arguing. My complaint in 2016 was they wouldn't rebuild when they clearly needed to. You can't spend your way out of mediocrity anymore so the ownership bashers don't know how to respond.

Exactly. Every post is “JR isn’t spending on this rebuild and will never spend and has always said his teams are more profitable with low payrolls” with nothing to back it up but his whining about JR

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 09:58 PM)
So going into the 2016 offseason, the offseason where the Sox traded Eaton and Sale, and eventually Quintana...what would you have done differently? Because up until that point, “JR” has financed competitive payrolls that haven’t worked out (Williams and Hahn being bad at their jobs is a totally different subject).

So what would you have wanted “JR” to do that offseason and beyond? Lay out some details.

. I was hoping JR would sell the team. The sooner the team is sold the better the franchise is going to be. New owners will spend money on quality free agents not Adam LaRoche. Secondly new owners will show Rick Hahn the door. He has been the GM for over 5 years and the team is still "Mired In Mediocrity". If Hahn had been the GM in Boston, New York or the Cubs he would have been gone by now. I'm told by my contacts that JR is going to put the team up for sale sometime in 2019 which means the new owners will be running the team in 2020. I hope this is true. Edited by WBWSF

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 08:27 AM)
I . I was hoping JR would sell the team. The sooner the team is sold the better the franchise is going to be. New owners will spend money on quality free agents not Adam LaRoche. Secondly new owners will show Rick Hahn the door. He has been the GM for over 5 years and the team is still "Mired In Mediocrity". If Hahn had been the GM in Boston, New York or the Cubs he would have been gone by now. I'm told by my contacts that JR is going to put the team up for sale sometime in 2019 which means the new owners will be running the team in 2020. I hope this is true.

You were hoping like it was even a remote possibility?

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 08:27 AM)
. I was hoping JR would sell the team. The sooner the team is sold the better the franchise is going to be. New owners will spend money on quality free agents not Adam LaRoche. Secondly new owners will show Rick Hahn the door. He has been the GM for over 5 years and the team is still "Mired In Mediocrity". If Hahn had been the GM in Boston, New York or the Cubs he would have been gone by now. I'm told by my contacts that JR is going to put the team up for sale sometime in 2019 which means the new owners will be running the team in 2020. I hope this is true.

I always get a kick out the posts a new owner will spend, spend, spend. What did Ricketts do right away? What did Jeter's group do right away? What happened to the Padres when an ex agent bought them?

Your contacts are wrong. He isn't selling.