2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

Maybe the hitting coaches from the top to AA should be gone. ;) (although I'm still personally annoyed with the Collins story of him taking the initiative to look at tape from college to change his stance and such)

Edited by SoxAce

42 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Can't play for this team, but you can start for the Brewers?  Why did the Sox just give him away?

This is remarkably lacking in context.The brewers didn’t acquire him to be the starter, they acquired him because they traded away their pretty good starter in Jean Segura in order to start Orlando Arcia, who fell flat on his face hitting .194 and was sent to the minors.   Saladino was an emergency need because the Brewers made a bad decision and it bit them in the ass(see, other teams do It too, not only the white sox)

and they acquired Saladino for next to nothing because SALADINO WAS HORRIBLE LAST SEASON, and he was injured, and he is an older player.

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

This is remarkably lacking in context.The brewers didn’t acquire him to be the starter, they acquired him because they traded away their pretty good starter in Jean Segura in order to start Orlando Arcia, who fell flat on his face hitting .194 and was sent to the minors.   Saladino was an emergency need because the Brewers made a bad decision and it bit them in the ass(see, other teams do It too, not only the white sox)

and they acquired Saladino for next to nothing because SALADINO WAS HORRIBLE LAST SEASON, and he was injured, and he is an older player.

And the first thing they did when they acquired him was send him to AAA. It's Greensox. 

32 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

SALADINO WAS HORRIBLE LAST SEASON, and he was injured, and he is an older player.

He's 29 in late July. Yep, baseball is changing just like football 29 has always been old in football; now it's very old in baseball. There's a window between 25 and 27 where fans are OK with your age. 24 is too young in many instances for fans. I guess there are exceptions where ages 24 and parts of 28 are OK. Got to love modern stat baseball.

Edited by greg775

31 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

And the first thing they did when they acquired him was send him to AAA. It's Greensox. 

Which is what the Sox should have done, rather than give him away.  The Sox are loaded with "older" players 25-30.  Look at Charlotte with Jake Elmore et al.

I realized the Brewers needed him for depth, not to start, but it doesn't explain the Sox motive. 

Edited by GreenSox

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

He's 29 in late July. Yep, baseball is changing just like football 29 has always been old in football; now it's very old in baseball. There's a window between 25 and 27 where fans are OK with your age. 24 is too young in many instances for fans. I guess there are exceptions where ages 24 and parts of 28 are OK. Got to love modern stat baseball.

Dude, just constantly have no idea what you are talking about. Just stop already

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Dude, just constantly have no idea what you are talking about. Just stop already

You are the one who called Saladino an older player. You tell me the window where fans are OK with ages of players.

5 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Which is what the Sox should have done, rather than give him away.  The Sox are loaded with "older" players 25-30.  Look at Charlotte with Jake Elmore et al.

I realized the Brewers needed him for depth, not to start, but it doesn't explain the Sox motive. 

He was pretty buried with the Sox and they probably wanted to do him a solid. He's an 0-8 away from hitting .267 with Milwaukee, so the HOF is still a ways away for him.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

He was pretty buried with the Sox and they probably wanted to do him a solid. He's an 0-8 away from hitting .267 with Milwaukee, so the HOF is still a ways away for him.

Buried is a good way to describe it. He was the odd man out losing out to Leury and Yolmer and Davidson and Engel, etc. Saladino could play various positions but after that one cold streak he was finished as somebody who was going to get at bats. He's not exactly "old" though. I take exception to the new old in baseball.

Just now, greg775 said:

You are the one who called Saladino an older player. You tell me the window where fans are OK with ages of players.

I’m not about to explain prime player seasons to someone who routinely ignores replies and then posts as if he knows what fans think 

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Buried is a good way to describe it. He was the odd man out losing out to Leury and Yolmer and Davidson and Engel, etc. Saladino could play various positions but after that one cold streak he was finished as somebody who was going to get at bats. He's not exactly "old" though. I take exception to the new old in baseball.

When you and @WBWSF are the next President and GM, respectively, of a franchise, you can take up that agitation with the commish.

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

He was drafted in the 7th round in 2010. He wasn't even a productive minor league hitter. When guys stink in the minors, stink in the majors and then have a very good 21 games, you can imagine why the majority of us believe it's an anomaly.

For the record, a 28 year old who has consistently stunk isn't "old" by any standards, but it typically is for a player to turn his entire career around.

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The Sox didn't need him on the roster at the time, but he was the next man up. And low and behold, not long after he's moved, Leury goes down.
I think you're right - Sox wanted to do him a solid rather than send him to Charlotte. 

As most often is the case, I got it right. Here's baseball prospectus on age. ...

BP said: "I began my investigation into how baseball players age in order to address some potential problems with past studies. It turns out that after correcting for those flaws that the peak age of baseball players appears to be around 29, and possibly 30 for hitters in modern times. Of course, some players will peak earlier and others later, but this is a general benchmark."

My comment: As much as teams are into sabes, I find it impossible to believe any GMs are signing anybody over 30 to any contract of significance. As I stated a few posts up, the new rule is 25 (Mickey Mantle's peak season according to another article) to 28.5 is when you want a baseball player. After 28.5, not so much. I think it's stupid. It again begs my Hall of Fame question posed a while back. Good luck to hitters and pitchers making the Hall of Fame in the future, cause the numbers of "most" players will not rival their past players because you are going to see a plethora of players done about 35-36 at least as regulars because of this age thing.

More from BP: "I find it interesting that despite his unwavering pronouncement of when players peaked when the article opened, Bill James’s tone was tempered in his general conclusion:

Good hitters stay around, weak hitters don’t. Most players are declining by age 30; all players are declining by age 33. There are difference in rates of decline, but those differences are far less significant for the assessment of future value than are the differing levels of ability (James, 1982, p. 205).

On 5/29/2018 at 10:56 AM, greg775 said:

As most often is the case, I got it right. Here's baseball prospectus on age. ...

BP said: "I began my investigation into how baseball players age in order to address some potential problems with past studies. It turns out that after correcting for those flaws that the peak age of baseball players appears to be around 29, and possibly 30 for hitters in modern times. Of course, some players will peak earlier and others later, but this is a general benchmark."

My comment: As much as teams are into sabes, I find it impossible to believe any GMs are signing anybody over 30 to any contract of significance. As I stated a few posts up, the new rule is 25 (Mickey Mantle's peak season according to another article) to 28.5 is when you want a baseball player. After 28.5, not so much. I think it's stupid. It again begs my Hall of Fame question posed a while back. Good luck to hitters and pitchers making the Hall of Fame in the future, cause the numbers of "most" players will not rival their past players because you are going to see a plethora of players done about 35-36 at least as regulars because of this age thing.

More from BP: "I find it interesting that despite his unwavering pronouncement of when players peaked when the article opened, Bill James’s tone was tempered in his general conclusion:

Good hitters stay around, weak hitters don’t. Most players are declining by age 30; all players are declining by age 33. There are difference in rates of decline, but those differences are far less significant for the assessment of future value than are the differing levels of ability (James, 1982, p. 205).

Did anyone read this and think "wow...none of this relates to Saladino at all other than his age." Greg, Saladino is not a good hitter. Sure, he's having a good stretch but most players will go in hot and cold streaks.

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

I'm aware of that, but it's not like it was due to injury. It was due to performance. He had 281 PA's. He had more than ample opportunity and he blew it.

White Sox placed INF Tyler Saladino on the 10-day disabled list with back spasms.

It's an injury that developed during the week and has already caused Saladino to miss a few games. It's unclear how long he'll be sidelined, but it could be longer than the minimum 10 days.
Sat, May 27, 2017 11:10:00 AM

But the hope is Saladino will be ready for workouts within the next week, at which point the White Sox will send him to their spring training complex in Arizona. He landed on the disabled list May 27 and is being brought along slowly with a back issue that has been bothering him since 2016.
Wed, Jun 14, 2017 12:59:00 PM

Tyler Saladino (back) is ready to begin a rehab assignment.

It's unclear where the assignment will take place, but Saladino is headed out to return to game action. He's been out since late May with back spasms.
Sun, Jul 2, 2017 12:04:00 PM

White Sox activated INF Tyler Saladino from the 10-day disabled list.

Saladino has been sidelined since late May with back spasms. He'll see some starts at second base and will also be an option at third if/when the White Sox trade Todd Frazier.
Fri, Jul 14, 2017 01:11:00 PM

5 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Did anyone read this and think "wow...none of this relates to Saladino at all other than his age." Greg, Saladino is not a good hitter. Sure, he's having a good stretch but most players will go in hot and cold streaks.

I can buy your assessment of Saladino. I know when they gave him the job, wasn't it last season, he flopped miserably. If my memory serves me right he opened one season as a starter and was under .200 most of the time and a flop. I'm just saying I go by the eye test a lot and it was tough for me to consider him worthless cause of how well he hit for a time early on as a Sox. It's all good. He's no superstar or anything. I just liked his skill set before he became a regular and stunk.