2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

21 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's going to be a really hard decision and a good problem at the same time if that happens.  Moncada is +2.5 runs 100 odd starts at 2B.   I'm hoping for a Zobrist like impact from Madrigal.  Start him at three spots in the IF and corner OF if he can handle it and get him 130, 140 games a year that way.

Exactly. As someone else said during the draft, what do teams like the Cubs, Astros, Yankees, Dodgers do when they have a glut of the same positions? They find another spot for them. Honestly, some guys are talented and skilled enough to play other positions and pick up on them quick.

Edit: also, if we don't have a primary DH in a few years, that could be used to rotate and keep guys fresh on a game-by-game basis.

Edited by soxfan2014

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Exactly. As someone else said during the draft, what do teams like the Cubs, Astros, Yankees, Dodgers do when they have a glut of the same positions? They find another spot for them. Honestly, some guys are talented and skilled enough to play other positions and pick up on them quick.

Edit: also, if we don't have a primary DH in a few years, that could be used to rotate and keep guys fresh on a game-by-game basis.

Everything we've read and heard about Madrigal, including from his college coach, suggests he can play any position on the diamond other than catcher and maybe CF.   It will be really curious early to see if he's a legit MLB starting SS defensively.  If he is, TA could be trade or position switch bait.  There's a lot of ways this could unfold but I only really see upside -- you can't have too many good players.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Some really good news long term:

fWAR position player leaders:

1.5 Moncada

1.4 TA

1.1 Jose Abreu

1.1 Davidson

.9 Yolmer

There's something to build on there.  I'm ready to trade Abreu if a good deal is there his hitting is amazing but he's aging and his glove hurts all the young infielders.  I think the Red Sox will over pay for him or offer fair value come July.  That would let Matt play every day at 1B and Palka every day at DH.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Some really good news long term:

fWAR position player leaders:

1.5 Moncada

1.4 TA

1.1 Jose Abreu

1.1 Davidson

.9 Yolmer

There's something to build on there.  I'm ready to trade Abreu if a good deal is there his hitting is amazing but he's aging and his glove hurts all the young infielders.  I think the Red Sox will over pay for him or offer fair value come July.  That would let Matt play every day at 1B and Palka every day at DH.

I wouldn't predict the Red Sox at all for a 1B. Right now, they likely have the only other All-Star game worthy 1B in the AL.

Edited by soxfan2014

Mitch Moreland?  Honestly you might have convinced me.  Fangraphs only sees .7 more fWAR for Jose rest of way.  125 wRC+ for Jose and 107 wRC+ for Moreland.  Wouldn't be a huge upgrade for them.

Yankees might be a suitor, Greg Bird can't stay healthy.  If he gets injured they will def be looking at Jose, might be looking at him regardless.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Mitch Moreland?  Honestly you might have convinced me.  Fangraphs only sees .7 more fWAR for Jose rest of way.  125 wRC+ for Jose and 107 wRC+ for Moreland.  Wouldn't be a huge upgrade for them.

Yankees might be a suitor, Greg Bird can't stay healthy.  If he gets injured they will def be looking at Jose, might be looking at him regardless.

That's still a system worth gutting. They already gutted the Red Sox farm.

On 6/6/2018 at 2:44 PM, knightni said:

Moncada may end up at 3B if Madrigal gets up by 2020.

As Moncada gets older/stronger he may profile better at 3B than 2B. Like Gordo in reverse. I think if you can play 2B you should be capable at 3B as well.

On 6/7/2018 at 4:12 AM, chitownsportsfan said:

Everything we've read and heard about Madrigal, including from his college coach, suggests he can play any position on the diamond other than catcher and maybe CF.   It will be really curious early to see if he's a legit MLB starting SS defensively.  If he is, TA could be trade or position switch bait.  There's a lot of ways this could unfold but I only really see upside -- you can't have too many good players.

His OSU coach has actually specifically mentioned CF as a position where he’d do extremely well.  Said that he was ready for MLB right now as a defensive replacement at 2B in the late innings.

RF would be the biggest issue.....for him making that long throw across the field from RF to 3B...but how often does that happen every 10 games?   Just a couple.

Is there any way to look up that particular stat....how many throws to RFer’s have to make either cutting down triples, runners advancing from 2nd on a SAC FLY or runners trying to go 1st to 3rd?

As it stands, it would probably be:

2B, SS, 3B, CF, LF in that order...with RF and 1B (for obvious reasons) being the least likely options.

Edited by caulfield12

18 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

She's totally a "Gabby", isn't she?  Cutee but screams "basic b****" to me.

Can anybody see the ball go in the cup? She said it bounced from behind her. I can't see it go in the cup but I cannot understand how it didn't splash?? The beer was almost full, more than 3/4 full. First I thought it was a fake but then I see the fans around her going wild so it must have happened. How no splash?

20 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

"Meet Gaby DiMarco" only to open an article where I now know the same amount as I did prior to reading it. When I see "meet" I assume they'll talk about age, martial status, occupation, etc.

I learned that Gabby takes the ball from behind. :D

On 6/6/2018 at 1:27 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

I can't remember the last time the Yankees primarily used a RH hitting 1st baseman. With that short porch in RF they mostly want lefties playing 1st.

It looks like Palka can hit in MLB. Stone said on todays telecast that Palka is working hard to become a good outfielder. I can't help but wonder. What happens to Palka when Avi Garcia and leury Garcia come back off of the disabled list? Does Palka alternate with Davidson as the DH? Or do the White Sox trade either Palka or Davidson or maybe even Avi Garcia?

12 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

It looks like Palka can hit in MLB. Stone said on todays telecast that Palka is working hard to become a good outfielder. I can't help but wonder. What happens to Palka when Avi Garcia and leury Garcia come back off of the disabled list? Does Palka alternate with Davidson as the DH? Or do the White Sox trade either Palka or Davidson or maybe even Avi Garcia?

Don't think anybody will want Avi.

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Don’t think L. Garcia has any effect on the playing time of Palka

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Palka will probably take Nicky Delmonico's playing time.  Plenty of at bat's for Leury in center for now.

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

My question would be, what has he been doing for the previous 400 games in the OF of his career?

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I daresay Palka has been working hard at being a good outfielder for the last 20 years. It’s not going to happen. Born to DH. 

4 minutes ago, Baker said:

I daresay Palka has been working hard at being a good outfielder for the last 20 years. It’s not going to happen. Born to DH. 

You'd be wrong then.  He has been playing the OF 100 games or  more in only one of his minor league seasons.  including his appearences this season, he has been in the OF in 311 games, and 1B for 188 defensively in the minors.  Realistically he has been in the OF for about 60% of his games, and of those, he has been in RF 273, or a little over half of his games total.  The only other really he played RF basically every day was 2016.