2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:30 PM, kwolf68 said:

No argument. I get it, I really do. But I would love to watch these guys in Chicago. I mean the Reds just called up a guy from AA who was hitting .249. The Padres called up a pitcher a few days ago who has given up 20 hits in 9 innings pitched while these guys are in the minors. Still, I get it no argument. 

Also, if Kopech were to get the call, I think it's a logical idea that Dylan Cease would be brought up to AAA. I remember posting a thread about him during Spring training after i watched him against Seattle. There were a lot of questions about him then, questions that are getting answered each time Dylan takes the mound.

I can't deny being excited about a rotation of Rodon-Kopech-Cease-Gio-Lopez, and the potential they bring.

Are those two prospects for CIN and SD top prospects or just guys who they are seeing what they have in them? Because if it's the former, that's a mistake. If it's the latter, there's no correlation between their situations and the situations of Kopech and Jimenez. Those two franchises likely aren't worrying about service team for two guys who probably don't have a future.

Does anyone know when Kopech's next start will be? Today is Shields, Friday is TBD, Saturday is Lopez and Sunday is Giolito (looks like they pushed Lopez and Giolito ahead a day. Is it safe to say Kkkkkopech pitches Friday? I'm going to Saturdays game and would love to go to Fridays as well if he is slated to be on the mound.

1 minute ago, Scoots said:

Does anyone know when Kopech's next start will be? Today is Shields, Friday is TBD, Saturday is Lopez and Sunday is Giolito (looks like they pushed Lopez and Giolito ahead a day. Is it safe to say Kkkkkopech pitches Friday? I'm going to Saturdays game and would love to go to Fridays as well if he is slated to be on the mound.

I assumed he'd go Sunday on regular rest.  I'd be a little surprised to see him go Friday on short rest even though he had an abbreviated start on Tuesday.  I figured they'd go Shields (Thur), Lopez (Fri), Gio (Sat), and Kopech (Sun).  

But I see what you're saying with the listed probables today. 

Yes right now on level of confidence I have in the future prospects of our rotation it goes:

1. Kopech

2. Rodon

3. Gio

very far down the line

4. Rey Lo

I think Gio has a legitimate chance to take these strides and become a useful SP3 or around there (SP2-Sp4). 

3 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Yes right now on level of confidence I have in the future prospects of our rotation it goes:

1. Kopech

2. Rodon

3. Gio

very far down the line

4. Rey Lo

I think Gio has a legitimate chance to take these strides and become a useful SP3 or around there (SP2-Sp4). 

Eh These things fluctuate within any given time frame when pitchers have there bad streaks in the process of learning. For the last 2 years Kopech has had stretches of ugliness in the minors . I can practically guarantee Kopech will look like crap too over some 5 or 6 starts in a row next year in May and/ or June.

4 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Kind of ironic how the argument can be made that as of right now, Giolito looks like he has a better chance to stick in the rotation than Lopez, given how hot he started off the year.

I don't need no stinkin' charts to tell me there's a learning curve young pitcher go through.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I'm a little worried about his peripherals.  They aren't great.  That said, his hard hit rate is at like 10%.  He might be walking too many and not striking out an ideal amount of guys but whatever he's doing to get them off balance is mostly working.  From the little I've observed it seems he's finally got good fastball command on a consistent basis.

• Thanks 1