2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Just say goodbye to him. For the love of God, he's terrible and won't be getting any younger this winter. If you couldn't get anything for him this season, you won't next. Use the spot to develop a youngster or take a chance on a reclamation project.  Shields serves no White Sox purpose anymore. 

He did serve two solid purposes while he was here.  He has been an innings eater. He is 5th in MLB, 3rd in AL in IP, and 1st in batters faced.  #2 was he has really done some great things with the kids.  There have been plenty of anecdotes about him working with specific kids on certain things.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He did serve two solid purposes while he was here.  He has been an innings eater. He is 5th in MLB, 3rd in AL in IP, and 1st in batters faced.  #2 was he has really done some great things with the kids.  There have been plenty of anecdotes about him working with specific kids on certain things.

Great, but he didn't eat innings until this year, and it continuing next is not realistic. As to working with the younger pitchers.... again great, there is no question they can learn something from him, but.........they have all had their fair share of struggles this year. It isn't like he is a pitcher whisperer. If he wasn't here this year, I don't think anyone would be thinking any less of the White Sox young pitchers.

Time to put Big Game James in the rearview mirror and move along.

Edited by Dick Allen

22 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Great, but he didn't eat innings until this year, and it continuing next is not realistic. As to working with the younger pitchers.... again great, there is no question they can learn something from him, but.........they have all had their fair share of struggles this year. It isn't like he is a pitcher whisperer. If he wasn't here this year, I don't think anyone would be thinking any less of the White Sox young pitchers.

Time to put Big Game James in the rearview mirror and move along.

I think there are enough young pitchers who need those innings. However, that rotation would be scarily inexperienced. I can see the Sox wanting a veteran in there.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I think there are enough young pitchers who need those innings. However, that rotation would be scarily inexperienced. I can see the Sox wanting a veteran in there.

Which is fine, but they should get a veteran who may get them something if they need to ditch him near the deadline. Shields won't.  There are always several vets coming off bad years or injuries that are available for cheap. 

Edited by Dick Allen

22 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Which is fine, but they should get a veteran who may get them something if they need to ditch him near the deadline. Shields won't.  There are always several vets coming off bad years or injuries that are available for cheap. 

I wasn't implying that should necessarily keep him but I wouldn't spend much money on someone either as there will be young ones which will need those innings. Anyone any good will command multiple years and I'm not sure i would commit to that if I was them.

16 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I found this interesting because Stone seems to be implying that, if he were in the booth last weekend, he would've challenged Hawk on-air

Especially because the tweet he is responding to talks about a history of hawk's actions, implying this was an ongoing thing. But Stone jumped straight to the most recent event (which obviously sparked the tweet, but still).

2 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Especially because the tweet he is responding to talks about a history of hawk's actions, implying this was an ongoing thing. But Stone jumped straight to the most recent event (which obviously sparked the tweet, but still).

Stone rarely says anything serious these days.  He likes to make things up or just say yes to whatever the other nerd says.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I wouldn't go after him, but did people notice what kind of year Derek Holland had for the Giants? ERA over 6 for us last year, 3.56 for him this year. WTF?

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I wouldn't go after him, but did people notice what kind of year Derek Holland had for the Giants? ERA over 6 for us last year, 3.56 for him this year. WTF?

Different ballpark I'd assume...different league certainly and perhaps most importantly a different pitching coach. Or it could just be blind luck.

20 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Just say goodbye to him. For the love of God, he's terrible and won't be getting any younger this winter. If you couldn't get anything for him this season, you won't next. Use the spot to develop a youngster or take a chance on a reclamation project.  Shields serves no White Sox purpose anymore. 

Not aimed specically at you but my God doesn't anyone want a good pitcher ? Throwing around Shields and reclamaion projects . How about Patrick Corbin or someone good ?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not aimed specically at you but my God doesn't anyone want a good pitcher ? Throwing around Shields and reclamaion projects . How about Patrick Corbin or someone good ?

Why waste $100 million this year when we could well have a pitcher that is as good or better in our system?  A starting pitcher would be the worst possible thing to spend a lot of money on this off season.