4/3 Game Thread: Sox @ Blue Jays

Dunt

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 08:01 PM)
Yes, even if some sort of miracle occurs and he is pretty average, it isn’t like he is going to bring back a very interesting prospect on a flip.

I think they simply wanted a veteran influence in the clubhouse who could eat some innings until Kopech or another prospect was ready. I don’t think they have any expectations he’ll develop trade value or at least I hope not.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 07:43 PM)
That's exactly where I stand. Said it two years ago I felt Sox crippled his development rushing him (also not a fan of them slowing down his delivery. Had a Lincecum like start). I don't believe he's even a reliever with his control. I hope he proves me wrong and then some.

The Athletic has a piece on Fulmer today. He’s going back to his Vanderbilt stuff power curve etc.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 08:01 PM)
Yes, even if some sort of miracle occurs and he is pretty average, it isn’t like he is going to bring back a very interesting prospect on a flip.

Hell, I was happy Hahn was able to pull off a trade for Ti'Quan Forbes for him.

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 4, 2018 -> 01:06 AM)
Man if Tim can put it together this year, things look a lot brighter.

Agreed he can put up big offensive numbers. I know you'll be shocked to hear this from me, but he just needs to be average defensively

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 08:06 PM)
Man if Tim can put it together this year, things look a lot brighter.

I think people oftentimes forget he’s only 24 and is tooled the f*** up. The complete lack of walks will always limit his ceiling, but he can be an above average SS and given we control him through 2024 at reasonable rates that is incredibly valuable. He’s most definitely a key cog for the rebuild.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 08:04 PM)
I think they simply wanted a veteran influence in the clubhouse who could eat some innings until Kopech or another prospect was ready. I don’t think they have any expectations he’ll develop trade value or at least I hope not.

Could be, but they gave him almost $5 million. It seems they are hoping for a little more than that.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 05:54 PM)
Wow, can’t even take this post seriously.

The typical unsubstantiated tripe from you. I don’t take you too seriously at all, but if you’re capable of it, I’d love to hear your reasoning as to why we shouldn’t be concerned that we traded one of the best players/contracts in baseball for a guy who could K 200 times in a season.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 06:03 PM)
Ok Ricky, Moncada can do that too when he gets on. Wanna see this team stealing more.

Me too. I started a thread about it in the replacement level Soxtalk . If last year was the "bunt" year , this year can be the "steal" year especially for Anderson, Engel and Moncada.If Timmy played in the era when steals made baseball exciting he's capable of 50. 70 if he walked more.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 08:10 PM)
Could be, but they gave him almost $5 million. It seems they are hoping for a little more than that.

Honestly, I think it comes back to his presence in the clubhouse. I think they knew he was good with the kids and isn’t going to make a stink if he’s ultimately pushed out of the rotation. We can afford to eat a $4M salary when the time comes. If they were hoping for more, they would have signed one of the starters that got a $10M deal as they could have easily afforded it.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 09:14 PM)
The typical unsubstantiated tripe from you. I don?€t take you too seriously at all, but if you?€re capable of it, I?€d love to hear your reasoning as to why we shouldn?€t be concerned that we traded one of the best players/contracts in baseball for a guy who could K 200 times in a season.

just stop. you're already in a hole. How many f***ing times did Aaron Judge strike out last year? 208. HAVE YOU SEEN WHAT BASEBALL IS IN 2018?

Goodness. Nobody gives a f*** about strikeouts. Hit the ball hard and far and take walks. Yoan Moncada has a chance to be the best 2B in my lifetime, surpassing Durham. Let's just try and enjoy the ride the kid is 22.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 08:14 PM)
The typical unsubstantiated tripe from you. I don’t take you too seriously at all, but if you’re capable of it, I’d love to hear your reasoning as to why we shouldn’t be concerned that we traded one of the best players/contracts in baseball for a guy who could K 200 times in a season.

Because I don’t judge a player simply on their strikeout rate and I also assume that young players will get better with experience. Dude put up a 104 wRC+ in his rookie season despite a 32% K rate. As that K rate cuts down and the power plays up, the kid is going to be a beast offensively and has all the tools to be a stud defensively. He’s 22 year old for Christ sake and I’d argue he’s already an above average 2B. We must be watching two completely different players, because if you can’t see the star potential in this kid I don’t know what to tell you.