Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

8 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you take out the K's on bad calls, he is there already.  At last check he had been called out somewhere around 40 times on pitches that weren't strikes.  I don't know why this keeps getting ignored.

I think the better question is why does it happen?. For example, does Joey Gallo have the same complaint?. Last I looked, Gallo had a worst SO% than Yoan.  Is there something with Yoan's stance or movement in the box that is affecting the umpire's view? Is this fake news?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

I think the better question is why does it happen?. For example, does Joey Gallo have the same complaint?. Last I looked, Gallo had a worst SO% than Yoan.  Is there something with Yoan's stance or movement in the box that is affecting the umpire's view? Is this fake news?

Given that Gallo has either K’ed, BB’ed or HR’ed in 59% of his PAs in his career, I’d take a pretty solid guess and say that Gallo’s approach pretty much stays the same: Hit it out, count be damned. That’ll lead to a bunch of Ks, certainly.

Yoan is different. The O-swing and Z-swing rates lay it out pretty clear: the kid doesn’t swing enough. That can be fixed.

8 hours ago, The Sir said:

Given that Gallo has either K’ed, BB’ed or HR’ed in 59% of his PAs in his career, I’d take a pretty solid guess and say that Gallo’s approach pretty much stays the same: Hit it out, count be damned. That’ll lead to a bunch of Ks, certainly.

Yoan is different. The O-swing and Z-swing rates lay it out pretty clear: the kid doesn’t swing enough. That can be fixed.

I understand. My question goes back to the problem with umpires making bad strike calls against him. Does Gallo also get a lot of bad strike calls. What does Yoan do that causes it. It sisn't a coincidence when it happens this often. Unless most batters who take a lot of pitchers get a lot of these bad calls.  When Yoan was a young player in Cuba he was overly aggressive and the coaches pushed him to be more patient.  But he was 16 at the time. 

15 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

So they finally move Yoan out of the leadoff spot after a really rough start to August and then after 6 games move him back again.  

To their credit he’s 2-7 with a walk (.375 OBP) and just one strikeout since being moved back

12 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

To their credit he’s 2-7 with a walk (.375 OBP) and just one strikeout since being moved back

I guess they based it on the opposition. They dropped him going into Cleveland series and then switched back w KC coming in.  

11 hours ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

He should be batting leadoff every game and Anderson should be batting second. These two are the cornerstones of the Sox infield for the next 6-7 years and should be getting all the at bats that they can handle. 

I disagree with Anderson. His OBP is way too low for him to be an everyday starter on a consistent playoff team. I am way over him these days.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I disagree with Anderson. His OBP is way too low for him to be an everyday starter on a consistent playoff team. I am way over him these days.

Disagree.  His OBP is low, probably will always be like that, but you don't give up 20+ HR 60 RBI+ and average to above average defense at SS.  On a good team, Anderson would be the perfect 9 hitter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

Disagree.  His OBP is low, probably will always be like that, but you don't give up 20+ HR 60 RBI+ and average to above average defense at SS.  On a good team, Anderson would be the perfect 9 hitter.

Not to mention 30+ stolen bases a year on decent efficiency 

5 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

Yep. This guy was good enough for a 2005 world series winner. The numbers are eerily similar to Anderson's this year.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/u/uribeju01.shtml

23 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

But now he is 2-12 with a walk and 4 strikeouts. This month, he could probably sit out and still have a bad game.  Maybe he will have a good September and have a positive heading to the off-season. 

3 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

Yep. This guy was good enough for a 2005 world series winner. The numbers are eerily similar to Anderson's this year.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/u/uribeju01.shtml

It's not that it is impossible, it is more that we should not strive to need a batter that has an OBP south of .290. 

There will be better options. Just find them.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

It's not that it is impossible, it is more that we should not strive to need a batter that has an OBP south of .290. 

Even on a World Series roster, not every starter is gonna have an OBP above league average. Even if Tim doesn't improve on his OBP (which I still think he will as he matures as a hitter), the "better option" may not bring to the table what Tim does on defense and on the basepaths. 

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Even on a World Series roster, not every starter is gonna have an OBP above league average. Even if Tim doesn't improve on his OBP (which I still think he will as he matures as a hitter), the "better option" may not bring to the table what Tim does on defense and on the basepaths. 

I don't see anyone in the Sox system that has a chance of challenging Tim Anderson as the starter at SS.

13 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

So you don't feel Tim can improve upon those numbers?

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't see anyone in the Sox system that has a chance of challenging Tim Anderson as the starter at SS.

I guess Madrigal, if he ends up actually playing SS? Other than that, there are a lot of those middle infield guys like Nunez, Sosa, and Curbelo, but they seem like high ceiling guys with little chance of reaching those ceilings.

1. I'd look outside of the organization for a better replacement. Can't be too hard to beat a sub .300 OBP player.

2. Timmy's OBP isn't league average its well below. This guy makes so many damn outs!

3. I don't feel Timmy can improve his OBP numbers by any great strides. He is what he is at this point. 

As stated earlier -- I think it wouldn't be too hard to replace him. We love the HR/SB numbers, but how many outs below average has resulted in negative runs? I will go more into this in the offseason and look deeper into the statistics and replacement level statistics. So i'll end that side of the rant there (i'll note that I'm only beginning to look deep into stats). 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

1. I'd look outside of the organization for a better replacement. Can't be too hard to beat a sub .300 OBP player.

2. Timmy's OBP isn't league average its well below. This guy makes so many damn outs!

3. I don't feel Timmy can improve his OBP numbers by any great strides. He is what he is at this point. 

As stated earlier -- I think it wouldn't be too hard to replace him. We love the HR/SB numbers, but how many outs below average has resulted in negative runs? I will go more into this in the offseason and look deeper into the statistics and replacement level statistics. So i'll end that side of the rant there (i'll note that I'm only beginning to look deep into stats). 

Why is that that literally only OBP seems to matter?

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

But you're looking at one stat. Nicky Delmonico has a .322 OBP, does that make him a more valuable player than Tim Anderson?

Jose Abreu has a negative 4.5 UZR, can't be too hard to find a replacement for him, right? Focusing on only one stat while ignoring the strengths that a player brings to the table isn't productive. What you'd gain in OBP, you'd lose in defensive value, baserunning value, and power. Unless, of course, this "replacement" shortstop is like, Lindor, or Correa, or someone of that tier 

39 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

But you're looking at one stat. Nicky Delmonico has a .322 OBP, does that make him a more valuable player than Tim Anderson?

Jose Abreu has a negative 4.5 UZR, can't be too hard to find a replacement for him, right? Focusing on only one stat while ignoring the strengths that a player brings to the table isn't productive. What you'd gain in OBP, you'd lose in defensive value, baserunning value, and power. Unless, of course, this "replacement" shortstop is like, Lindor, or Correa, or someone of that tier 

SB numbers mean little to me... I don't need a SS to hit 20+ bombs. I just want a player that doesn't make so many outs. OBP is such an important factor for me as it details the most important thing in baseball... making an out on your at bat. An OBP as low as Anderson's is horrid. Timmy was the 3rd worst player in 2017 in terms of OBP and is currently sitting as the 15th worst player this year in terms of OBP. It's just not good enough.

If he can make strides in that OBP I'm open to it and he certaintly has time (at least another year), but right now I'm not optimistic.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

54 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I guess Madrigal, if he ends up actually playing SS? Other than that, there are a lot of those middle infield guys like Nunez, Sosa, and Curbelo, but they seem like high ceiling guys with little chance of reaching those ceilings.

I would say Rivera has the best chance and he’s still got to convince us that he’s an actual prospect and not some kid beating up on younger competition.