Super Fun White Sox Happy Time Game Thread III vs Orioles

Heads22

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So LH have a .900 OPS against this guy and Ricky has him bunt to go down 0-2. I think I have seen enough. When it is time to win, he cannot be making the decisions.

Yeah, I agree

This stuff happens far too frequently.

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Brutal game.  Two extremely stupid outs on the basepaths and those messed up final two outs

2nd to last out was messed up. 

Last one was standard and should have been expected. 

Something's gotta give with the managing...if you can't get your players to hustle (unless they're injured or coming back from injuries like Moncada), then they need to try someone else.

The one thing you should be able to guarantee in professional sports is playing the game to best of your ability at all times.  Lose because of talent, not effort.

I think it's a good philosophy as a manger to err on the side of under-managing and he failed in that regard.

Also, I think I'm ready to close the book on the Trayce Thompson era.

13 minutes ago, Jake said:

I think it's a good philosophy as a manger to err on the side of under-managing and he failed in that regard.

This is very true.. Ricky tries to insert himself into the game way too often - Via failing attempts to bunt.

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

I think Major League baseball is ready to close the book on the Trayce Thompson era. 

Unfortunately, our outfield situation from AAA and up doesn't really fit into the "Major League Baseball" category. 

Also with no good hitting options on the bench and the knowledge that their closer is a righty, you can't pull someone for defensive reasons in the top of the 9th when you are trailing.  That's common sense managing

Playing for a tie when you're 13-30, have just won 3/4 (after not winning two games in a row for AGES) and playing one of the 3-4 worst teams in MLB is just asinine.

Shows zero confidence in your hitters to get the job done.  In front of a home crowd who just witnessed the 2nd/3rd no outs debacle and a player getting pulled for apathy/indifference.

(And yeah, Fathom's point about pulling Thompson for Palka there defensively was dead-on as well...it wasn't a tie game or 1-2 run lead)

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, harkness99 said:

This is very true.. Ricky tries to insert himself into the game way too often - Via failing attempts to bunt.

I have always thought that this is the downfall of most failed managers. You see at the lower levels an obnoxious amount. High school and college is littered with Tony LaRussa wanna-be characters. 

Has no place in the big leagues. 

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Playing for a tie when you're 13-30, have just won 3/4 (after not winning two games in a row for AGES) and playing one of the 3-4 worst teams in MLB is just asinine.

Shows zero confidence in your hitters to get the job done.

I don't even know if you call it "playing for a tie"

It's just playing stupid. You have a pitcher who cannot get lefties out. A .280 contact, line drive hitting lefty at the plate with 1 out and 1st/3rd. With a 0-1 count...

Jeopardizing putting him in an 0-2 hole for the sake of making contact, when every metric suggests he'll make contact anyway... that's unfathomable to me. 

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

Also with no good hitting options on the bench and the knowledge that their closer is a righty, you can't pull someone for defensive reasons in the top of the 9th when you are trailing.  That's common sense managing

Oh yeah... I forgot about the blunder also.

1 minute ago, Richie said:

I don't even know if you call it "playing for a tie"

It's just playing stupid. You have a pitcher who cannot get lefties out. A .280 contact, line drive hitting lefty at the plate with 1 out and 1st/3rd. With a 0-1 count...

Jeopardizing putting him in an 0-2 hole for the sake of making contact, when every metric suggests he'll make contact anyway... that's unfathomable to me. 

Could Yolmer have bunted on his own? Seems to be hard to believe that RR, if he was going to have him bunt, wouldn’t have done so right away rather than waiting a pitch