AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

Glad to see the Sox playing better after the 8 game losing streak. Tilson is hitting over .290. Good to see Avi mash the HR. Moncada's defense. Shields has had some stinkers that would prevent him from bringing back anything useful but if the Sox want to dump him, I will concede some team that needs a No. 5 might take him. He's to the point he appears to have a chance at helping somebody that needs one back of the rotation starter badly. No way a GM will give up much for him, but somebody might take him off the Sox hands after yet another good outing from him.

I would not go there if I was a GM because this all might be Coop related. You bring Shields in without Coop and he could cost you games if you are a contender. Nice win, though Minaya should be DFAed or sent down. No need to see him again.

Edited by greg775

20 minutes ago, Tony said:

You can say a lot of bad about Shields.

But the guy has made over 100 million in his career and is closing in on age 37. He’s on a terrible team and he’s decided to totally change his mechanics and mentor young pitchers on the staff, and has actually turned himself into a fairly decent No. 4 starter. Gotta give the guy some credit. 

That is true. He's definitely not loafing and cares about the team and his craft. I bet Coop has helped him though and he probably doesn't ever wanna leave Chicago since he's figured something out likely with Coop's help I'd imagine.

4 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

I've never hated James Shields, just how he pitched up until this year for us

To be fair the guy ran his mouth a bit and has mostly backed it up.  If he can make 2-3 more starts like this he'll get his wish to play for a contender.  The Mariners look like an obvious potential destination.  He'd fit in nicely there imo.

He totally fucking balked.  That was awesome when Ricky convinced the umps to convene.  Good job there Rick.   Does anyone think he stepped off the mount there?  Looked like he was on the mound, pivoted and forgot the rules change.  It's a stupid rules change never understood the point of it personally.

28 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

To be fair the guy ran his mouth a bit and has mostly backed it up.  If he can make 2-3 more starts like this he'll get his wish to play for a contender.  The Mariners look like an obvious potential destination.  He'd fit in nicely there imo.

The Angels even more so . They are really hurting literally for some pitching. Starter and in the pen.

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He totally fucking balked.  That was awesome when Ricky convinced the umps to convene.  Good job there Rick.   Does anyone think he stepped off the mount there?  Looked like he was on the mound, pivoted and forgot the rules change.  It's a stupid rules change never understood the point of it personally.

MLBN (well Ryan Dempster) was totally convinced that was a play Shields had been working on. If you step behind the rubber that makes you an infielder and you can do more or less anything after that . Question is ,and has been, was he behind the rubber ?  I saw no definitive proof that he wasn't. One fly in the ointment if it was a designed play ( a really smart thing actually) , why did he chose the totally wrong time to use it ? Sure there was a guy on 3rd but there was a shift on and Yolmer was nowhere close to the base.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
fix typo
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

MLBN (well Ryan Dempster) was totally convinced that was a play Shields had been working on. If you step behind the rubber that makes you an infielder and you can do more or less anything after that . Question is ,and has been, was he behind the rubber ?  I saw no definitive proof that he wasn't. One fly in the ointment if it was a designed play ( a really smart thing actually) , why did he chose the totally wrong time to use it ? Sure there was a guy on 3rd but there was a shift on and Yolmer was nowhere close to the base.

"It's a designed play. I actually called the play myself," Shields said. "Knowing that, I know I have to make sure I step off and fake to first and throw to third. I'm pretty sure, I'm very confident, that I did that, and I went back and looked at the video, and I clearly stepped off.  per whitesox,com

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

"It's a designed play. I actually called the play myself," Shields said. "Knowing that, I know I have to make sure I step off and fake to first and throw to third. I'm pretty sure, I'm very confident, that I did that, and I went back and looked at the video, and I clearly stepped off.  per whitesox,com

James Shields folks. We will always have two great things from his time here.  One of them is the time Jame Shields caused the "feisty" Twins to lose their 3B coach and Manager in one inning by using an ingenious play on a recent rules change.  The other?

15cvfw.gif

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1