White Sox @ Reds, 7/3/18, 6:10 pm CDT

Balta1701

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Extending Avi would be the definition of insanity.  We’ve seen him have hot stretches before and then quickly revert back to zero plate discipline Avi.  When you have a half dozen top 100 caliber OF prospects, you don’t resign a guy with obvious flaws to a multi year extension.

While it's not necessary or probably wise to extend now,  we've saw Avi consistently suck until last season and he hasn't since.  
1/2 dozen top 100 OF prospects?  I can think of 2.
Last year the cw was we have too much pitching.  We don't have nearly enough.
Where are they?

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

While it's not necessary or probably wise to extend now,  we've saw Avi consistently suck until last season and he hasn't since.  
Where are they?

That's still true. Most still aren't up...

Edited by Richie

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Where are they?

Jimenez, Robert, Rutherford, Adolfo, Basabe, & Gonzalez.  All six of those guys should warrant some top 100 consideration by seasons end.

And what do you mean Avi hasn’t sucked since?  He wasn’t very good before he went on the DL and he still hasn’t drawn a single walk all year.  And I’m not an Avit hater by any means, but extending him is a gigantic risk not worth taking.  Either wait on our in-house options or sign a legit stud OF.  No reason to plan the middle ground.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Jimenez, Robert, Rutherford, Adolfo, Basabe, & Gonzalez.  All six of those guys should warrant some top 100 consideration by seasons end.

And what do you mean Avi hasn’t sucked since?  He wasn’t very good before he went on the DL and he still hasn’t drawn a single walk all year.  And I’m not an Avit hater by any means, but extending him is a gigantic risk not worth taking.  Either wait on our in-house options or sign a legit stud OF.  No reason to plan the middle ground.

It was actually just an 8 game stretch before he went on the DL where he went 2 for 32 so if you want to count that small sample I suppose you can.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It was actually just an 8 game stretch before he went on the DL where he went 2 for 32 so if you want to count that small sample I suppose you can.

I’m not sure I follow.  Avi drew zero walks before going on the DL.  He had a total of four extra base hits, including one HR.  Avi’s biggest issues in his entire career have been a lack of plate discipline and poor launch angle and those were his flaws earlier this season.  You can blame his poor start on some bad BABIP luck but that’s ignoring the bigger issues.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not sure I follow.  Avi drew zero walks before going on the DL.  He had a total of four extra base hits, including one HR.  Avi’s biggest issues in his entire career have been a lack of plate discipline and poor launch angle and those were his flaws earlier this season.  You can blame his poor start on some bad BABIP luck but that’s ignoring the bigger issues.

What's to follow he's hasn't had all that many Ab's this season and you said he sucked and I agree for 8 games and yes no walks and that;s bad but he's been making up for lost time really well and yes he's hot now just as he was cold earlier and doesn't really have much of a problem with launch angle lately . So we're both dealing with small samples but add them up and only the lack of walks is bad.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You really hate Avi that much after a 2 HR game and 6 in the last 10 days ? I guess a walk or 2 and less HR's doubles and triples would make you happy .

I'm sickened by this hate. Really. How bout let his contract run out, then try to sign him. If he's as horrid as many of you suggest we'll get him to a 3-year 27 million type contract. All you guys afraid of signing him are comical. If he sucks so badly, why the hell would anybody else offer him a huge deal?? Makes zero sense!! Avi/Abreu cornerstones of WS teams!!! You can go root for your mystery guys who will have flaws once they come up like almost all ballplayers do! Avi baby!

Edited by greg775

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'm sickened by this hate. Really. How bout let his contract run out, then try to sign him. If he's as horrid as many of you suggest we'll get him to a 3-year 27 million type contract. All you guys afraid of signing him are comical. If he sucks so badly, why the hell would anybody else offer him a huge deal?? Makes zero sense!! Avi/Abreu cornerstones of WS teams!!! You can go root for your mystery guys who will have flaws once they come up like almost all ballplayers do! Avi baby!

So you're saying if he sucks and no one wants him, we should give him a multi-year deal? What's logical about that?

2 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

If Avi is going to hit 1-2 home runs every game I fully endorse extending him.

I can't believe there are fans out there who don't care about intangibles in sports at all. Avi and Abreu are good examples for all the Spanish speaking ballplayers as well as the English speaking ballplayers. My feeling is some of you actually think we can win a pennant without any veterans. I guess some of you might want a veteran starter and think that's enough. My feeling is also you want to win WS titles with payrolls of about 70 million total. Why you guys feel this way amazes me. I could give a damn about Jerry Reinsdorf's wallet. I hope he pays money for ballplayers until it hurts. He doesn't care about my wallet; why should I care about his?

• Like 1

Just now, greg775 said:

I can't believe there are fans out there who don't care about intangibles in sports at all. Avi and Abreu are good examples for all the Spanish speaking ballplayers as well as the English speaking ballplayers. My feeling is some of you actually think we can win a pennant without any veterans. I guess some of you might want a veteran starter and think that's enough. My feeling is also you want to win WS titles with payrolls of about 70 million total. Why you guys feel this way amazes me. I could give a damn about Jerry Reinsdorf's wallet. I hope he pays money for ballplayers until it hurts. He doesn't care about my wallet; why should I care about his?

Nope. Literally no one has suggested this.

• Thanks 1

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

So you're saying if he sucks and no one wants him, we should give him a multi-year deal? What's logical about that?

I'm saying you guys are going to say he sucks even if he hits .330 with 30 bombs next year leading into his new contract. You'll still all find the flaws. He's never going to be worth more than 10 mill a year to the majority of this board. So just sign him for 10-12 mill a year when the time comes for 4 years or so. Nobody's going to pay him more than that. he's too flawed according to the stat people even with the traditional numbers on his side.

• Like 1

Just now, greg775 said:

I want veterans, just don’t think Avi is that guy.  Sign a guy with a track record of excellence, not a guy who has been off & on his entire career.