White Sox @ Reds, 7/3/18, 6:10 pm CDT

Balta1701

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Nope. Literally no one has suggested this.

So what veterans do you want?? A pitcher or two? You certainly don't want any of our current vet hitters except maybe a Yolmer or somebody like that.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

I'm saying you guys are going to say he sucks even if he hits .330 with 30 bombs next year leading into his new contract. You'll still all find the flaws. He's never going to be worth more than 10 mill a year to the majority of this board. So just sign him for 10-12 mill a year when the time comes for 4 years or so. Nobody's going to pay him more than that. he's too flawed according to the stat people even with the traditional numbers on his side.

If he hits .330 with 30 HR’s then sure lock him up, but why in the world is that a realistic expectation?  His career high for HR’s is 18 and his .330 season last year was driven by a flukey .396. BABIP.  He’s gotten better but he’s still a flawed player.

Just now, greg775 said:

I've always liked Hector even when he has lousy nights. Maybe it's wrong of me but I am a Hector supporter.

greg, sometimes you have to remember that just because we don't think a guy is a good long term fit for a team, or because we don't think they are an especially great player, doesn't mean we don't like them or want them to succeed

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

So what veterans do you want?? A pitcher or two? You certainly don't want any of our current vet hitters except maybe a Yolmer or somebody like that.

You're talking to someone who is actually fine with them locking up Abreu. I know he likely wouldn't bring a lot back since 1B usually doesn't bring a haul.

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You really hate Avi that much after a 2 HR game and 6 in the last 10 days ? I guess a walk or 2 and less HR's doubles and triples would make you happy .

Yeah, totally.

Not sure if you've been following the White Sox much the past five years. But if you were, it would make sense.

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'm saying you guys are going to say he sucks even if he hits .330 with 30 bombs next year leading into his new contract. You'll still all find the flaws. He's never going to be worth more than 10 mill a year to the majority of this board. So just sign him for 10-12 mill a year when the time comes for 4 years or so. Nobody's going to pay him more than that. he's too flawed according to the stat people even with the traditional numbers on his side.

If someone says he sucks after that they're either joking, trolling, or both.  If Avi shows signs that he has in fact turned the corner and last year wasn't just an aberration, then yes I'd be for extending him.  Eventually you'll need to keep some guys, and Avi is still a young dude.  I wouldn't give him 8 years or anything crazy, but I think something in the 3-5 range could be a worthy investment. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

If he hits .330 with 30 HR’s then sure lock him up, but why in the world is that a realistic expectation?  His career high for HR’s is 18 and his .330 season last year was driven by a flukey .396. BABIP.  He’s gotten better but he’s still a flawed player.

I understand the concept of BABIP . What I don't understand is why when someone does so well with a high BABIP and the resulting high batting average it's flukey and a negative while the person with the low BABIP and resulting bad batting average is unlucky. Well I do get it  but it's turning  a positive into a negative and a negative into a positive, I'll just take the positive results if you all don't mind. The rest of you can use BABIP to predict regression and all that . I'll just take the better "luck" every time.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I understand the concept of BABIP . What I don't understand is why when someone does so well with a high BABIP and the resulting high batting average it's flukey and a negative while the person with the low BABIP and resulting bad batting average is unlucky. Well I do get it  but it's turning  a positive into a negative and a negative into a positive, I'll just take the positive results if you all don't mind. The rest of you can use BABIP to predict regression and all that . I'll just take the better "luck" every time.

You can do whatever you want, but I’m not going to ignore the fact Avi’s BABIP last year would have been a good 40 points higher than the highest career averages in the past few decades.  But hey, to each their own.

3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Yeah, totally.

Not sure if you've been following the White Sox much the past five years. But if you were, it would make sense.

SOrry can't hate a guy at all when has a phenomenal year . It's not easy in todays game to hit .330 with all the shifts Look at what they're to to Bryce Harper batting average and yeah I know its only batting average. But there's a lot to be said for a guy who hits rockets everywhere so thy cant really shift on him. You call it BABIP but they used to call it "hitting them where they aint' .