7/28 Games

BamaDoc

http://www.milb.com/scoreboard/index.jsp?cid=&lid=&org=145&sc=&sid=milb&t=affiliate&ymd=20180728

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/prospects/stats/affiliates

AAA TBD  AA Tanner Banks  A Parke.      Banks 26 LHP having his best year.  Old, but becoming a prospect?  Parke 23 yo LHP having a good year esp for a 2017, 21 rounder.

http://www.milb.com/scoreboard/index.jsp?cid=&lid=&org=145&sc=&sid=milb&t=affiliate&ymd=20180728      

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/prospects/stats/affiliates

DSL already won 9-8.  Wilber Perez (Soria trade) pitched 2 innings 3 K 1 BB 1 H 0 R

BIR: Banks (2-1, 2.70)

WS: Parke (3-1, 3.16)

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
oops my bad didn't see it because it wasn't pinned.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

2-4 with 2b for Rutherford

Eloy has hit the ball hard 3 out of 4 times

Rutherford seems like a prime candidate for the Launch Angle Revolution. Too bad this is the same organization that continues to employ a pitching coach that thinks that throwing sinkers and keeping the ball down in the zone is the best way to get hitters out and induce weak contact. 

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Rutherford seems like a prime candidate for the Launch Angle Revolution. Too bad this is the same organization that continues to employ a pitching coach that thinks that throwing sinkers and keeping the ball down in the zone is the best way to get hitters out and induce weak contact. 

I disagree, I don't think he has the pure power to hit a lot of homers.  Rather just have him work on hitting line drives while getting stronger and go from there.

Just now, fathom said:

I disagree, I don't think he has the pure power to hit a lot of homers.  Rather just have him work on hitting line drives while getting stronger and go from there.

We don't know, but out of HS they were giving him a 55 power grade, now they're down to 45 I don't see anything different that could have been happening other than wood bats, and I think that scouts take that into account already. The guy just doesn't get the ball up in the air it seems. Seems a lot like Avi. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

We don't know, but out of HS they were giving him a 55 power grade, now they're down to 45 I don't see anything different that could have been happening other than wood bats, and I think that scouts take that into account already. The guy just doesn't get the ball up in the air it seems. Seems a lot like Avi. 

well the 55 was a lot of projection for how he'd mature as a pro.  Some of his biggest supports going into the draft are the ones that have been the most negative about him (i.e.: KLaw)

When I see Madrigal swing I marvel at how all that load and weight shift tends to be wasted on a ball pounded into the ground. I haven't watched him play enough to say for sure but it seems like he might get something out of a little more loft.

3 minutes ago, Jake said:

When I see Madrigal swing I marvel at how all that load and weight shift tends to be wasted on a ball pounded into the ground. I haven't watched him play enough to say for sure but it seems like he might get something out of a little more loft.

I think that's what they work on in the offseason.  I completely agree with you, his hand-eye coordination is too good to waste on choppers.

6 minutes ago, Sox Fan In Husker Land said:

Basabe 2 BB, no hits yet. Collins 2/3 1 BB. 

Really starting to get excited about Basabe. A 21 year old CF prospect with a 10%+ BB rate and a .200 ISO, sign me up. 

If everything breaks right for Basabe i think Aaron Hicks is a fair comp.

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Jack, you gotta explain that one to me.  When you have time.

6 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Jack, you gotta explain that one to me.  When you have time.

The launch angle revolution has turned sinkerballers into an endangered species. Fangraphs had an article early in the 2018 season that from 2015-present the sinker is actually the pitch that gets hit the hardest and most for extra bases. Any low strike is now a meatball. They get hit HARD, and most of the time there is a batted ball on a low strike it goes for extra bases. High hard is better than anything low, unless it is out of the zone. What has been figured out is the following: 

1. Hitters have changed the plane of their swing such that low strikes are the preferred pitch to hit. There are now two parts of the zone that can be considered meatballs: 

Low strikes and those right down the middle. 

2. Umpires are more likely to call low strikes than high strikes, therefore it is easier to lay off a high strike because there is a much higher likelihood that a high strike will be called a ball than a low strike

3. Because these hitters are more likely to hit a low strike hard, it has made pitching that much more difficult. Having a high velocity fastball with a high spin rate is what is needed to be successful. The way to get hitters out has changed. You're more likely to get a swinging strike on a chest high 96 mph fastball than with any breaking ball. Fastball/Changeup are the two most powerful pitches.

Breaking balls, while necessary, don't matter as much. I'd argue that a hard cutter(89+ mph) or hard splitter (87+ mph) will be more effective than your standard curveball/slider. What is needed now is to miss bats with pitches that move AND are high velocity, outside of changeups. They look like a fastball longer and move less.  Whatever you know about baseball is wrong. Grounders are bad, because they're being hit harder and are more likely to find holes. Low pitches are being launched into orbit as more and more hitters move to classic uppercut swings. How do you battle uppercut swings? high fastballs with a high spin rate.  Breaking balls aren't fooling hitters with location and break, they're more de facto changeups. 

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Bryce Bush with a hit to start the game. He's been on fire since being assigned.

He's been terrific. It's only Arizona, so a LONG way to go before he's even considered a top prospect. But for now, he's looking like a late round steal.

1 hour ago, danman31 said:

He's been terrific. It's only Arizona, so a LONG way to go before he's even considered a top prospect. But for now, he's looking like a late round steal.

The dude is 18 years old. Give him a little respect despite his league. It's not like he's in the pee wee hermin league

Edited by Hot FiRe