8/2 Sox v, Royal Lopez pitching

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I agree. I'd be all for giving Ozzie a second go if he didn't burn that bridge and piss on the ashes. Ozzie was actually a good manager, despite my criticism at times. I fail to see anyone other than Vizquel that fits the bill. 

Vizquel is even worse than Renteria. I'd rather see Jirschele from Kanny

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Vizquel is even worse than Renteria. I'd rather see Jirschele from Kanny

I know. Which is scary. I was just going to follow up that I'd probably hate Vizquel more than I hate RR. Anyone have any other LA manager candidates? I think it is really important to have a Spanish speaking manager when Moncada and Jimenez are the faces of the lineup going forward. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If you hate bunts, you don't want guys like Ozzie, Renteria, or Vizquel managing your team. 

Ozzie was great at managing a pitching staff so I could live with the bunting from him. Others, not so much. He really knew how to push a pitcher's buttons to get the most out of them. He was also great at taking the pressure off of his players by putting it on himself. He did everything else well so the bunting wouldn't bother me as much. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

bennetti with jinx number 571 of his early/annoying career.

Right before the 3/2 count.. "Lopez has never walked a KC batter!"

I have watched about 2/3 of the games this year and out of those 70 or so I've had on the opponents broadcast 60 or so.  I can't listen to Jason.  He doesn't know anything about baseball and it appears that he hasn't taken it upon himself to learn the rule book or ask other more vet announcers how to determine how well a ball is hit off the bat.

LIke why would I watch a broadcast where the pbp guy is always behind the action because he doesn't know the rules, like on a pass ball with 1st base occupied or catchers' interference?

Edited by chitownsportsfan

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If you hate bunts, you don't want guys like Ozzie, Renteria, or Vizquel managing your team. 

I hate bunts.  I was at the game last night and Ned Yost had a guy bunting in the 3rd inning.  I couldn't believe it....3rd inning in a game between 2 of the 3 worst teams in MLB.  Let the kid swing the bat.

4 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

bennetti with jinx number 571 of his early/annoying career.

Right before the 3/2 count.. "Lopez has never walked a KC batter!"

Jinxes don't exist. Whether or not Bennetti said that, Lopez was going to walk a batter. I don't believe in jinxes. Talk about it. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Ozzie was great at managing a pitching staff so I could live with the bunting from him. Others, not so much. He really knew how to push a pitcher's buttons to get the most out of them. He was also great at taking the pressure off of his players by putting it on himself. He did everything else well so the bunting wouldn't bother me as much. 

Ozzie was an attention whore. Some thought it was his genius to take pressure off the players. It turns out it was just about him. 

Maybe his heart would be back in it after his layoff, but he was mailing it in the last few years. It's one of the reasons he got canned in Miami. He wouldn't even go on the field for BP or any drills. Joey Cora ran everything.

It depends on who is attempting to bunt. A guy with speed hitting barely .200 (cough cough Adam Engel cough), he should probably try to bunt for hits. There were a lot of time under Ventura when Eaton would be on second in the first inning and the number 2 hitter is bunting him over. Makes zero sense in that situation since the runner at second is a guy who can already score on a hit to the outfield.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Ozzie was an attention whore. Some thought it was his genius to take pressure off the players. It turns out it was just about him. 

Maybe his heart would be back in it after his layoff, but he was mailing it in the last few years. It's one of the reasons he got canned in Miami. He wouldn't even go on the field for BP or any drills. Joey Cora ran everything.

That's another way of looking at it. LOL.  I fail to see anyone more qualified for this job than Ozzie, but I really don't know if time has healed the wounds in KW/JR's eyes. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Am I crazy or is Lopez all fastballs & changeups today?  If so, how has the change looked so far?

I think the change up looks much better today. He still hasn’t been consistent with it (a few that float up in the zone), but the good ones look a lot better to me. Fastball has looked outstanding. Command has been great with the fastball. 

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

It depends on who is attempting to bunt. A guy with speed hitting barely .200 (cough cough Adam Engel cough), he should probably try to bunt for hits. There were a lot of time under Ventura when Eaton would be on second in the first inning and the number 2 hitter is bunting him over. Makes zero sense in that situation since the runner at second is a guy who can already score on a hit to the outfield.

Bunting for hits is fine.  It is bunting to move guys over and a waste of an out.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I have watched about 2/3 of the games this year and out of those 70 or so I've had on the opponents broadcast 60 or so.  I can't listen to Jason.  He doesn't know anything about baseball and it appears that he hasn't taken it upon himself to learn the rule book or ask other more vet announcers how to determine how well a ball is hit off the bat.

LIke why would I watch a broadcast where the pbp guy is always behind the action because he doesn't know the rules, like on a pass ball with 1st base occupied or catchers' interference?

You might want to practice some self awareness. You put your foot in your mouth more than anyone in game threads. Sorry, but it's true.