Eloy Jimenez: I'm Ready (Players' Tribune)

Jose Abreu

4 minutes ago, flavum said:

If that's a gamble they want to take, go for it.  They would have to feel good about locking him up though.

At this point I'd be too excited to watch him play to care about the service time implications. Especially with the possibility of a new CBA that changes everything. But the timing would certainly be puzzling. 

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Why?

This is not what I would do, but what I think the front office will do.  Part of this may be to build some excitement / optimism heading into the off-season and improve our chances in free agency.  Again, not saying I agree or disagree with that, but the front office was exploring options to acquire Machado last off-season.  They're clearly willing to think outside the box to improve their chances of landing a whale free agent no matter how small the odds might be.  And having both Kopech & Jimenez up and productive sure makes this team a lot more attractive when they're trying to sell joining the White Sox over teams.

6 minutes ago, flavum said:

If that's a gamble they want to take, go for it.  They would have to feel good about locking him up though.

Based on everything I've read/seen, Jimenez seems like a guy that would be open to an extension.  I mean, he turned more money as amateur to sign with the Cubs because he liked the color blue.  We just got to hope that black, gray, & white have grown on him.

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

At this point I'd be too excited to watch him play to care about the service time implications. Especially with the possibility of a new CBA that changes everything. But the timing would certainly be puzzling. 

If anything, I think the next CBA is going to knock free agency down to 5 years, so the Sox may have him for the "winning years" of 2021, 2022, an 2023 if they bring him up this year.

It would be exciting for the fans, but front offices can't think that way, obviously.

Edited by flavum

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is not what I would do, but what I think the front office will do.  Part of this may be to build some excitement / optimism heading into the off-season and improve our chances in free agency.  Again, not saying I agree or disagree with that, but the front office was exploring options to acquire Machado last off-season.  They're clearly willing to think outside the box to improve their chances of landing a whale free agent no matter how small the odds might be.  And having both Kopech & Jimenez up and productive sure makes this team a lot more attractive when they're trying to sell joining the White Sox over teams.

That's one way of looking at it.  The Sox front office could find a way to rationalize bringing him up, and I'm sure most fans will eat it up. And in the end, it may work out just fine...but it's a big gamble that I wouldn't make.

Edited by flavum

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

That's one way of looking at it.  The Sox front office could find a way to rationalize bringing him up, and I'm sure most fans will eat it up. And in the end, it may work out just fine...but it's a big gamble that I wouldn't make.

We have a six year window to try and win two championships between 2020 and 2025. We need to maximize that window the best we can and hope our front office has a plan for keeping core guys and replacing others competently thereafter. I would love an extra year of control but bringing Eloy up in a week may be the right thi g to do. Having our young stars up together even for a month can go a long way. They can bond and push each other to be better while building chemistry.

It may push other regulars here now to perform better to remain on the roster. It may create a stir where a guy like Harper may give us a chance if we overpay him. There are fair arguments to be made on both sides of the coin. A lot of people are passing the idea off as stupid when it really isn't. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

We have a six year window to try and win two championships between 2020 and 2025. We need to maximize that window the best we can and hope our front office has a plan for keeping core guys and replacing others competently thereafter. I would love an extra year of control but bringing Eloy up in a week may be the right thi g to do. Having our young stars up together even for a month can go a long way. They can bond and push each other to be better while building chemistry.

It may push other regulars here now to perform better to remain on the roster. It may create a stir where a guy like Harper may give us a chance if we overpay him. There are fair arguments to be made on both sides of the coin. A lot of people are passing the idea off as stupid when it really isn't. 

Agreed.  Passing the idea off as stupid is incorrect.  There are countless reasons it’s a good idea and exactly 1-2 reasons it isn’t.  That’s all it boils down to.  

Fortunatey I’m a fan and I’m forced to want him called up.  Only people in the front office have concern about service time.  I like being forced, and I mean forced, to want him called up this year.  It’s all fun with zero negative consequences for me as a fan. 

At this point, it may not be a question of what would be best for the organization, but rather how to justify to Eloy that they aren't calling him up. He clearly wants to have a chance to play in the Big Leagues this year and he has done more than enough to prove that he deserves it. What possible excuse can they give him, for not calling him up? I doubt that Hahn would risk making an honest admission that they are holding him down, on the farm, until next year, so that they can obtain an extra year of service time. Not that they would need to admit that to him, as I'm sure that he has figured out, either on his own, or from someone else.

Perhaps they could tell him that they know he will be one of their regulars, during their competitive window, but they need to have an opportunity to evaluate Avi, Delmonico, Davidson and Palka, so that they can determine who to keep, going into the off season. They can't play all of them. That is actually a plausible explanation, or excuse.

27 minutes ago, Lillian said:

At this point, it may not be a question of what would be best for the organization, but rather how to justify to Eloy that they aren't calling him up. He clearly wants to have a chance to play in the Big Leagues this year and he has done more than enough to prove that he deserves it. What possible excuse can they give him, for not calling him up? I doubt that Hahn would risk making an honest admission that they are holding him down, on the farm, until next year, so that they can obtain an extra year of service time. Not that they would need to admit that to him, as I'm sure that he has figured out, either on his own, or from someone else.

Perhaps they could tell him that they know he will be one of their regulars, during their competitive window, but they need to have an opportunity to evaluate Avi, Delmonico, Davidson and Palka, so that they can determine who to keep, going into the off season. They can't play all of them. That is actually a plausible explanation, or excuse.

What reason was Bryant given?  Its all bs.  Everyone knows it's bs.  But they still have to make up the bs. 

6 minutes ago, jenksycat said:

What reason was Bryant given?  Its all bs.  Everyone knows it's bs.  But they still have to make up the bs. 

If I remember right is was some BS about working on defense. They can't tell the truth because that would give ammo to the grievance. I'm sure Jimenez and his representatives along with the union will file one here as well.

51 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Yeah this is true, but I'm sure Eloy can see right through this. He wouldn't want to miss out on earnings this year and postpone FA payday tmso that we can get a look at guys who won't be huge factors in our rebuild. We have to remember there are a lot of things to consider from Eloy's perspective. If I were him I'd feel as if I'm getting screwed over, especially since Kopech was called up and he was in the same service time equation.

The notion that Kopech would have been in Triple A another calabdar year wouldn't hold weight with me either. The only reason we are hold g him down is for that 7th year which I think is a mistake. He, like Abreu, really wants to be a star in this town. If we treat him fairly, pay him top dollar, and we are a contender, I don't think that 7th year would matter. 

29 minutes ago, jenksycat said:

True. I just think teams like the Cubs, Red Sox, and Yankees can strong arm players because they bring a rare experience that top players want to be a part of. We cannot offer that to top players at this point. 

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

He, like Abreu, really wants to be a star in this town. If we treat him fairly, pay him top dollar, and we are a contender, I don't think that 7th year would matter. 

I agree with this.  The last thing I want to do is piss off our cornerstone who will keep something like this in the back of his mind.  Treat him fairly...and compensate him well when the time comes.  I hate burning that year of control like the next guy...but it's time.  Like many have said...you have to show possible FAs what's on the horizon.

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yeah this is true, but I'm sure Eloy can see right through this. He wouldn't want to miss out on earnings this year and postpone FA payday tmso that we can get a look at guys who won't be huge factors in our rebuild. We have to remember there are a lot of things to consider from Eloy's perspective. If I were him I'd feel as if I'm getting screwed over, especially since Kopech was called up and he was in the same service time equation.

The notion that Kopech would have been in Triple A another calabdar year wouldn't hold weight with me either. The only reason we are hold g him down is for that 7th year which I think is a mistake. He, like Abreu, really wants to be a star in this town. If we treat him fairly, pay him top dollar, and we are a contender, I don't think that 7th year would matter. 

We will know if it is service time or not come September. Right now I think he is being held down until September Call-Ups so they don't have to make a decision on Palka/Delmonico. If he isn't called up during those first few days in September after Charlotte's season ends, then we will know which is which.

4 hours ago, Scoots said:

We will know if it is service time or not come September. Right now I think he is being held down until September Call-Ups so they don't have to make a decision on Palka/Delmonico. If he isn't called up during those first few days in September after Charlotte's season ends, then we will know which is which.

Being eligible for ROY next year could also factor in if they do call him up. He needs to stay under 130 at bats. 

30 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Being eligible for ROY next year could also factor in if they do call him up. He needs to stay under 130 at bats. 

Somebody told me I was a complete idiot for suggesting that a couple weeks ago.  I think they want Kopech and Eloy racing for ROY next year.  Good publicity.  And great PR to not hold them down for an extra year.

“We don’t believe in being disrespectful to our players or trying to control them when they’ve proven themselves ready for the big leagues.   What would that say about our integrity as a front office in general, and what message would that send potential free agents?”

Total cubs slam just sitting there on a tee ready to be blasted. 

Edited by Jerksticks

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Somebody told me I was a complete idiot for suggesting that a couple weeks ago.  I think they want Kopech and Eloy racing for ROY next year.  Good publicity.  And great PR to not hold them down for an extra year.

“We don’t believe in being disrespectful to our players or trying to control them when they’ve proven themselves ready for the big leagues.   What would that say about our integrity as a front office in general, and what message would that send potential free agents?”

Total cubs slam just sitting there on a tee ready to be blasted. 

I don't think the reason to keep him down is for the ROY.  However if they decide to bring him up they may use that to determine when in September.

I really hope they bring him up for tomorrow's game vs. the Sawx. I'm going Sunday and would love to see him play. 

23 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

21 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

True. I just think teams like the Cubs, Red Sox, and Yankees can strong arm players because they bring a rare experience that top players want to be a part of. We cannot offer that to top players at this point. 

I agree with both of these statements. The CBA in 2021 is a huge wild card that nobody is talking about. Bring up Eloy now, deal with it later. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I really hope they bring him up for tomorrow's game vs. the Sawx. I'm going Sunday and would love to see him play. 

I agree with both of these statements. The CBA in 2021 is a huge wild card that nobody is talking about. Bring up Eloy now, deal with it later. 

After the hype that hit with Kopech's call up and announcing it a couple of days in advance, we would probably already know if Eloy was coming up tomorrow.