Guys we should target on short term deals

wrathofhahn

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Rockies.  Avi has little to no trade value at the moment.  Jon Gray is still a super interesting arm with three years of control.  He’d a great buy low guy if the Rockies were looking to move him.

I'm not so sure.  Bud Black gave up on Gray, didn't put him on playoff roster.  Rox always looking for right handed outfielder.  Gray had some of the worst starts in the league.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am going to guess the Rockies could do a lot better.

If a team is offering prospects, maybe so.  But Rox are probably looking more toward a guy who can step in right away and hit from right side.  Avi might do very well in that park.

3 hours ago, oldsox said:

If a team is offering prospects, maybe so.  But Rox are probably looking more toward a guy who can step in right away and hit from right side.  Avi might do very well in that park.

Look, I hope you are right, but I’m guessing there would be plenty of teams interested in Gray and very few willing to give up anything of value for Avi.  I think the Rockies can either get a better return or simply sign a comparable OF in free agency.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Look, I hope you are right, but I’m guessing there would be plenty of teams interested in Gray and very few willing to give up anything of value for Avi.  I think the Rockies can either get a better return or simply sign a comparable OF in free agency.

Let's be honest here.  If the Sox were offered Earl Gray tea for Avi he would be gone, let alone Jon Gray.

While unlikely, let's just assume for a second that the Rockies are actually interested in Avi.  They have Dahl (who has struggled to stay healthy) and Blackmon locked in, who are both lefthanded sticks, so maybe they would have interested in Avi in RF.  Gonzalez is a pending FA.  They also have Tapia who has some pedigree that they want to give a full time job.

Is there a way to expand this deal that includes an OF prospect from the Sox?   Maybe something like:

Sox trade: Avi Garcia, Blake Rutherford and Jimmy Lambert

Rockies trade: Jon Gray and Colton Welker

The Rockies only have 1 OF in their top 15 prospects, so perhaps this is something they'd be interested in.  Figured the Sox would need to add a sweetener in addition to Rutherford in order for them to give up Welker in addition to Gray.  

Sox  get a backend SP with upside for the next 3 seasons and a top 100 prospect at a position of need (3B), while also clearing some of the OF logjam. 

Makes some sense in theory, if the Rox actually have any interest in Avi. 

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Reading between the lines of Rick Hahn's statements about prospect for prospect type of trades, I think he is referring to OF depth getting moved for sure, but I think he is going to look to target something like skilled IF depth (3B/SS in that order) versus anything else.

Yep.  Welker would definitely fit the bill.  

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

While unlikely, let's just assume for a second that the Rockies are actually interested in Avi.  They have Dahl (who has struggled to stay healthy) and Blackmon locked in, who are both lefthanded sticks, so maybe they would have interested in Avi in RF.  Gonzalez is a pending FA.  They also have Tapia who has some pedigree that they want to give a full time job.

Is there a way to expand this deal that includes an OF prospect from the Sox?   Maybe something like:

Sox trade: Avi Garcia, Blake Rutherford and Jimmy Lambert

Rockies trade: Jon Gray and Colton Welker

The Rockies only have 1 OF in their top 15 prospects, so perhaps this is something they'd be interested in.  Figured the Sox would need to add a sweetener in addition to Rutherford in order for them to give up Welker in addition to Gray.  

Sox  get a backend SP with upside for the next 3 seasons and a top 100 prospect at a position of need (3B), while also clearing some of the OF logjam. 

Makes some sense in theory, if the Rox actually have any interest in Avi. 

They’d want to see Rutherford in AA and still hitting well and with plenty of xbh in bigger parks to value him highly.  Right now, he’s at least two years away, which doesn’t help their playoff competitive team very much.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

They’d want to see Rutherford in AA and still hitting well and with plenty of xbh in bigger parks to value him highly.  Right now, he’s at least two years away, which doesn’t help their playoff competitive team very much.

He's a higher ranked prospect than Welker, at a position of higher need for them, and both are probably 2 seasons away.  I think a Welker-Rutherford trade without other pieces makes sense.  

5 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

28 year old righty Carter Capps just elected free agency, don't see him costing too much, would definitely be an interesting arm, coming back from TJS now and has topped off at 101 with his fastball, known for his controversial delivery

Assuming MLB doesn't start actually enforcing against his balks. As a GM I'd have to take that risk into consideration. He is clearly balking, and some ump or umps are going to call him on it more often going forward. You mess with is delivery that way, he's probably not the same pitcher anymore.

Yes to carter capps! His delivery is clearly illegal but I enjoy players that infuriate other fanbases for obvious but also innocent reasons (as opposed to, like, if he hits players in the head with fastballs consistently).

Also capps seems snakebit and I doubt he pitches more than 20 innings before an injury.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, oldsox said:

Don't know where else to put this, but Rockies just DFA'd Jordan Patterson.  26 year old Left handed OF/1B with power (26 HR last two years).  OPS in the .890's.

Wake up, Hahn.

Whoa! Great find. I've always felt Patterson would be a good WS addition. Love a L/L 1B/RF platoon guy with upside. Perfect add for 2019. Get him!!

3 hours ago, oldsox said:

Don't know where else to put this, but Rockies just DFA'd Jordan Patterson.  26 year old Left handed OF/1B with power (26 HR last two years).  OPS in the .890's.

Wake up, Hahn.

How is he different than Palka?  I’d rather just keep developing him than start from scratch with a similar player.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How is he different than Palka?  I’d rather just keep developing him than start from scratch with a similar player.

Pretty similar, actually.  Probably better defense and can run a bit.  I was comparing Patterson more to guys like Cordell, Tilson, Delmonico, maybe even Davidson, all of whom are on the 40 man.

33 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Who said anything about replacing Palka? Maybe this dude would be worth a spring training invite and see if he can play RF.

If we non-tender Avi, I’m hoping we add a more established OF than this guy so I kind of jump lumped him into the Palka role.  It does sound like this guy can actually play a solid RF, so maybe his skill-set is a little different than Palka’s in that sense.  I’d definitely take him on the 40 man roster over Tilson though.

• Kalapse changed the title to Guys we should target on short term deals