Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Friedman ain’t spending $350M+’on Harper despite what the Boras hype machine wants you to beleive.

I'm starting to believe again.  Everyone's under the impression we're a pawn but i think the Dodgers are the leverage vehicle here.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

I'm starting to believe again.  Everyone's under the impression we're a pawn but i think the Dodgers are the leverage vehicle here.

I pretty much agree but not ready to say all these other names aren’t BS by Dodgers to give them more leverage in trading Verdugo for Kluber.

4 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

100% agree.  And honestly, I think we land both Harper & Machado and then tell east coast biased media types like Chris Russo they can suck a big fat you know what.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, fathom said:

I pretty much agree but not ready to say all these other names aren’t BS by Dodgers to give them more leverage in trading Verdugo for Kluber.

One thing that I do strongly believe is the dodgers would have made that trade yesterday even without a possibility of signing Harper. It just opened it up more. But I really wouldn’t be shocked if Friedman maintained discipline. He clearly enjoys this overwhelming depth model, and if he goes for it it may just be for midseason acquisitions.

7 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I think Realmuto (and maybe even Merrifield) qualify as right-handed impact bats. That would be C and 2B and RF could still be open for a certain big signing.

Who do the Dodgers have left to trade for Merrifield?   Taylor or Hernández can play second, and they’re going to have to save Verdugo for Kluber or Realmuto.

37 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

I agree it just doesn't strike me as a Friedman move to lock into Harper. The hallmark of the dodgers recently has been positional flexibility and while Castellanos is a below average defender across the board he certainly fits the mold of being able to plug him in in a corner outfield or 3B if need be and he is right handed, they're stating his price tag is going to be high but I don't buy it, hes a free agent after this year and hes projected for 1.9 fWAR and $11.3MM in ARB.

10 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

It really all depends on which young guys they would be willing to throw in to that deal. If a team could get Heyward as well as Contreras... that could be interesting.

Happ is most likely to get dealt.  Giants have some pitchers making a lot of money they could unload in a deal.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Happ is most likely to get dealt.  Giants have some pitchers making a lot of money they could unload in a deal.

If anyone wants Cueto, Samardzija or Melancon...not sure a reunion is the best idea for Shark with all the pressure to win instantly, but it could work.  But you’d have to get more back than Happ for the remaining years on Heyward’s deal, not to mention RCF is Death Valley for most LH hitters without huge pull power down the line.

9 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Do you really think they'll get both? At this point I'd be ecstatic if they just got one.

I agree, I want to be a believer that we get one but have my reservations based on our past history. I also get how everyone would like to tell the national media to go screw themselves but in all fairness the White Sox have no one to blame but themselves for being in this situation, not the media. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Who do the Dodgers have left to trade for Merrifield?   Taylor or Hernández can play second, and they’re going to have to save Verdugo for Kluber or Realmuto.

Merrifield is a little different a situation.  Royals don't need someone that can step in right away like the Marlins want or the Indians need.

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils