Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That is article is pretty convincing that they have to adhere to a budget.

Yes no doubt but also pretty telling that they’re actively trying to create room for him.  Not that this is a surprise, but this information is almost word for word what the Cat tweeted on 12/12

The best thing about the Dodger trade is it’s hurting Boras from a negotiation standpoint.  I like Harper for the Sox mainly for the marketing aspect.  To use forest Gump...his career has been a box of chocolates you don’t know what you are going to get.  I think whatever contract he signs runs a big risk of a “bad contract”.  I also think cubs are staying out of things this year so that they can go big next year with a pitching heavy free agent class.  It really looks like the dodgers are screwing over Boras and Harper and will go a different direction.  Harper will be forced to take less money and a shorter term or he will have to sign with the Phillies or us.  And personally I’m fine either way- I think our rebuild will go forward just fine with or without.  In fact our rebuild will ultimately come down to our pitching prospects imo.  Will Dunning avoid TJ, can Hansen find his control, will Cease continue to progress, can Kopech come back, etc. 

• Like 1

I hope the cubs add Harper.  Cubbie tears are the best.  They will think they locked up multiple World Series but instead they add a huge contract when they desperately need pitching.  The cubs don’t need more hitting and worse defense.  They need to replace an aging and declining Lester, a bad contract in darvish, chatwood bad, Hammels is old too and pitched lights out for 2 months- but look at his stats in Texas.  Haha yes waste resources with Harper and all the stupid cub fans will think it’s great.  Intelligent people know better.  

33 minutes ago, Justinsettle said:

I hope the cubs add Harper.  Cubbie tears are the best.  They will think they locked up multiple World Series but instead they add a huge contract when they desperately need pitching.  The cubs don’t need more hitting and worse defense.  They need to replace an aging and declining Lester, a bad contract in darvish, chatwood bad, Hammels is old too and pitched lights out for 2 months- but look at his stats in Texas.  Haha yes waste resources with Harper and all the stupid cub fans will think it’s great.  Intelligent people know better.  

Please learn that Cole Hamels and Jason Hammel are 2 different people on 2 different teams. 

• Haha 2

Reinsdorf I believe was quoted saying I don't think we'll get Harper or Machado.    That was during the winter meetings.  We have the money and the fact that nothing has been said, other then the  token "he wants to play for the Yankees" , "he wants to play for the Dodgers", " he wants to play for the Cubs" makes me optimistic.  Harper is a different kind of guy.  I think he likes the nemisis role .  Meaning, I believe he would love to play against the Cubs and be their nemesis for years.  Or maybe the Mets and play against the Yankees. If you watch the YouTube video on him Bryce Harper Begins, 2 things popped out to me.  First thing,  he is from a blue collar family and he works hard!  Second thing,  he has a huge chip on his shoulder & loves to be booed! He feeds off being the bad guy. 

Man he would be the perfect White Sox player!!  

I think we have a decent chance...but if we get one (or both), it will come with an early buyout. I just don't see either one of these guys signing up for 10 years of the Sox until Hahn proves that he can build a winner.

That would put a c. 3 year window on contention, which, while reasonable, might encourage the FO to start making trades for veterans to accelerate it.  And that spells big trouble.

8 hours ago, DH in the NL said:

The FO said they don’t think they’re the favorites to get Harper or Machado. It was a Nightengale tweet.

How the hell would he know? Quotes from who? This is beginning to look a lot like the major news media outlets where everyone makes up stories to cater to their agenda. 

11 minutes ago, Scoots said:

How the hell would he know? Quotes from who? This is beginning to look a lot like the major news media outlets where everyone makes up stories to cater to their agenda. 

Yeah I'm not reading into Tweets from media members to random people. I'm just waiting on the "Harper/Machado close to signing with ______" update.

Edited by soxfan2014

11 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Probably, unless they want to package Happ or Contreras and prospects to go with Heyward.

Heyward is worth $100,000,000 less than his contract. 

I think it would be shocking to see who the Cubs would have to include to move him.   

I know Sox fans went from seemingly excited about a rebuild to completely fucking over-it during this offseason thanks to HarpchadoGate but I'd be VERY tempted to use the flexibility in payroll the Sox have to acquire some of these horrible contracts and stack another half a dozen top prospects in the system. 

If you cut a player can you take their entire luxury tax hit that same year?  Or does their contract stay on the books exactly as it was signed?  

2 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

I think it would be shocking to see who the Cubs would have to include to move him.   

I know Sox fans went from seemingly excited about a rebuild to completely fucking over-it during this offseason thanks to HarpchadoGate but I'd be VERY tempted to use the flexibility in payroll the Sox have to acquire some of these horrible contracts and stack another half a dozen top prospects in the system. 

If you cut a player can you take their entire luxury tax hit that same year?  Or does their contract stay on the books exactly as it was signed?  

Your last question is a good one. I would take on bad contracts to pick up more prospects, especially if they are going to suck in 2019 without Harper or Machado. You would think that the Cubs would have to trade a package off their roster to get rid of Heyward, although if the Sox traded for Greinke they might have to give up more and get less in return.

8 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

This is exactly what the Dodgers are doing with Bailey...but the White Sox wouldn’t cut Heyward.  But who else would you expect with Happ?  Almora, Jr., and Schwarber, too?   Because you know that trade means Harper to the Cubs.    They might give you 2 of those 3, along with Heyward.   Probably they’d hold onto Almora to play CF.   The Sox wouldn’t take Russell, that’s the big problem.

Edited by caulfield12

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils