Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

This is what we all knew going in. No one should be shocked by this.

And if Bowden actually heard this, then it’s from before his tour because there is no way in hell he talked to Manny’s friends last night before his Athletic article was published.  Regardless, when it comes to the Yankees, we need to play to win and that means making an offer well above what we think he gets from them.

2 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

If Machado does go to the Yankees it would be the worst case scenario as the Phillies then throw the stupid money at Harper and we are left sitting holding the bag......

Phillies gave up on Harper. That's why I worry about them getting crazy with Machado.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

If Machado does go to the Yankees it would be the worst case scenario as the Phillies then throw the stupid money at Harper and we are left sitting holding the bag......

I don’t see why we wouldn’t do the same thing and it seems like Harper would much rather play in Chicago than Philly.

Looks like I missed quite the show at the end of the other Manny thread...yeesh.

Anyways, I agree Machado to Yankees is the most obvious choice and worst case possible for us.  Like I said earlier if it is Yankees & Dodgers that get the 2 guys I won't be mad.  If Phillies get 1 and we don't then we can blame Hahn for not doing enough the previous year.  Just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Phillies gave up on Harper. That's why I worry about them getting crazy with Machado.

Interesting.  Gave up because asking too much?  Or they think he just doesn't want to go there?

In your scenario you are thinking Machado to Phils & Harper to Dodgers?

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

So if Machado goes to the Yankees, and the Dodgers aren't able to move some pieces around to make it work, where do you see Harper going?

My thing about the Dodgers is it sounds like they have no interest in going 10 years, so Bryce would really have to pass on a ton of guaranteed money to go there.  I just can’t see that happening if the Sox or another team in a decent market is willing to play ball.

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

True, but this also comes across as a agent leak to up the other offers from the Sox and Phillies. 

Yep. Until we get confirmation of a signing, just assume every rumor is bullshit. Whether they have Machado signing with the Yankees or Sox. They are all guesses, lies, or misdirection put out by the teams or Machado's camp. Don't believe any of them.

So basically, we've all wasted a week refreshing these boards.  I've gotten nothing done at work. Oh, well.

• Like 1

I personally think that the Harper deal is based on Machado signing and he wants to beat that.  I think the Sox and Harper were always on the same page and the Machado interaction was a plan B.

I think if the cubs or Dodgers open up salary he would prefer there.

Finally, I think Harper is a better long term fit that cares about his performance and I think Machado is a a average player by age 30  and ages rather poorly.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sounds like they didn’t even meet with him at the Winter Meetings right?

There was some report about a team not meeting with them. Might have been then can't remember. I think Phili knew early that they're out of it. I think Boras is keeping the Sox around as a threat but Sox know they don't have a good shot. Harper prefers the Dodgers. Then there is a mystery team that is either the Braves or the Padres. The former has been reported a bit the last few days and the latter makes a little more sense. All in all, my money is still on the Dodgers.

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

There was some report about a team not meeting with them. Might have been then can't remember. I think Phili knew early that they're out of it. I think Boras is keeping the Sox around as a threat but Sox know they don't have a good shot. Harper prefers the Dodgers. Then there is a mystery team that is either the Braves or the Padres. The former has been reported a bit the last few days and the latter makes a little more sense. All in all, my money is still on the Dodgers.

Those mystery teams are interesting.  I no doubt believe he’d like to go to the Dodgers or Cubs, but if those guys aren’t willing to pony up would he rather play in San Diego or Atlanta over Chicago if the money was the same.  That’s the part I’m struggling with is you’d think the are prepared to spend as much as anyone on Harper but who knows.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Those mystery teams are interesting.  I no doubt believe he’d like to go to the Dodgers or Cubs, but if those guys aren’t willing to pony up would he rather play in San Diego or Atlanta over Chicago if the money was the same.  That’s the part I’m struggling with is you’d think the are prepared to spend as much as anyone on Harper but who knows.

Would love to see him on Braves if he doesn’t sign with Sox 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

When are those quotes from though? My guess is they were from before the free agency tour 

My guess is they are from nowhere. Don't know if this Wildstein guy is at all reputable or if Bowden actually said that. I very much doubt Bowden is tight with Machado's "friends in Miami."

40 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

Well, as it looks like Machado wants to be a Yankee, I am sure they will offer something close enough to get a deal done. Harper, meanwhile, has been waiting, which suggests that he is waiting for someone (hopefully the Dodgers, please not the Cubs) to make a couple predicate moves before signing.

SoxFest should be fun when Hahn and KW get to talk about the wonderful offseason additions of Nova, McCann and Colome.

Don’t ever leave out the BIL

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

...but the Dodgers don't have the money without moving players, and the rumors to the effect that he wants to go there only serve to lower any offer they make. It's the same with Machado and the Yankees. I get that the players wanted big money teams that are immediate contenders, but those teams aren't spending right now. These rumors make for easy sports writer fodder, but they are superficial claims. Obviously if they want less money to play in those places, then more power to them.

Not that I think it will happen (and I doubt the Sox would spend the money), but both players coming to the Sox makes the team an immediate contender and they both get paid.

• Like 1

Just now, Roughneck said:

My guess is they are from nowhere. Don't know if this Wildstein guy is at all reputable or if Bowden actually said that. I very much doubt Bowden is tight with Machado's "friends in Miami."

Bowden did put that quote in his Athletic article last night about where the top 15 remaining free agents would go.  How Jim Bowden has connections to Manny’s friends and whether there is any truth to those statements remain to be seen.  My guess is this is simply a game of telephone ad Bowden is taking what someone else “heard” and acting like it’s first hand knowledge.

• Like 2

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic