Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

45 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Padres came in because the public reporting on offers was low.  If those offers don't get leaked and fought about, there is s decent chance they wouldn't have known enough to even call about them.

Not true. Manny and his camp keep in touch with other teams about his availability and his going rate. Teams have made bids and we are two months in, so they are trying to drive the price up with more competitors.  Trying to trick teams into thinking the number is high won't work. The Padres have shown interest because it's been three months and he still isn't  signed, so he can't be getting the contract he wants. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Honestly, if that is the case I think Machado is going to sign with a team that has ST in Florida. I think he's going to Philly guys. 

Because of ST? A guy is going to decide the fate of his baseball legacy and future bases on the location of the teams spring facility? My god, someone just make it end. The takes are getting so bad it hurts.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Not true. Manny and his camp keep in touch with other teams about his availability and his going rate. Teams have made bids and we are two months in, so they are trying to drive the price up with more competitors.  Trying to trick teams into thinking the number is high won't work. The Padres have shown interest because it's been three months and he still isn't  signed, so he can't be getting the contract he wants. 

The reports are flat out saying that the Padres got back involved because of the reports of how cheap Manny was being offered.

It is getting to the point where I think that Harper and Machado are going to take one year deals to stick it to the man. If Harper really wants to play for the Cubs, he'd have that opportunity in 2020. If Machado really wants to play in NY, and the Yankees are out, maybe he can convince the Mets to get involved on a 1 year deal and re-sign in season. The biggest mystery to me is why the Mets aren't in on Machado. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The reports are flat out saying that the Padres got back involved because of the reports of how cheap Manny was being offered.

I'm sure the Padres had no idea Machado's offers were that low even though they are a professional organization with all kinds of connections. They needed an Internet report to tell them the offer. Or......... they knew the offer or its ballpark, and waited to see if other teams would drive the price up. After a few months, no one has, so that means no one probably will. Now they can make a low offer to both and sell a great future knowing they have a legit chance. They don't have to fear the Cubs, Dodgers, Red Sox or Yankkes. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm sure the Padres had no idea Machado's offers were that low even though they are a professional organization with all kinds of connections. They needed an Internet report to tell them the offer. Or......... they knew the offer or its ballpark, and waited to see if other teams would drive the price up. After a few months, no one has, so that means no one probably will. Now they can make a low offer to both and sell a great future knowing they have a legit chance. They don't have to fear the Cubs, Dodgers, Red Sox or Yankkes. 

Or maybe they’ve been in all along, and just wanted to keep it quiet as they worked on Kluber and Realmuto?

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It is getting to the point where I think that Harper and Machado are going to take one year deals to stick it to the man. If Harper really wants to play for the Cubs, he'd have that opportunity in 2020. If Machado really wants to play in NY, and the Yankees are out, maybe he can convince the Mets to get involved on a 1 year deal and re-sign in season. The biggest mystery to me is why the Mets aren't in on Machado. 

I promise you they aren't going to forgo over 150 million dollars to make some rebellious point

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

I promise you they aren't going to forgo over 150 million dollars to make some rebellious point

Maybe location is more important to them than the money. That is what it seems like to me. If it were about money, I think this would have been over long ago. Maybe they want to get paid a bit less money, but be in the right location for them personally. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Tony said:

You’re doing that thing again when you can’t control your hot takes. You’re going to look back on this tomorrow and say yikes. Just a friendly heads up.

Nah, I'm just tired of the whole saga. I just want it to be over, tbh. Shit or get off the pot to all involved,

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres