Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, Ben Waffleson said:

I just think its a slap on the face to TA. Hes worked hard and made a ton of improvements defensively as a shortstop. Moving him to CF doesnt make a ton of sense with the amount of depth we have in our outfield prospects. Also, it kills the Joc trade potential, which we need his LH bat to offset machado.

How about this, our CF bat is terrible. Behind a few runs late in the game they move tim to CF and allows us to bring in rondon in for an extra bat while keeping tims bat in lineup.

That's the kind of versatility you see top teams seeking, moving players around to create optimal lineups for pitchers. 

Knowing that Tim could play some center does not mean he is always a center fielder. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Because they are going to move Moncada to 3b permanently to clear a spot for Madrigal and since they're not signing Machado, that's the only IF they can make work with the current org. That's pretty straightforward logic. 

It's the first full workout of the spring...

I hate bringing the Cubs up but them and the dodgers and few other top teams aren't afraid to have their guys play around the diamond. Sox giving their guys reps around the field is great, Machado or not this is what they should be doing and this is especially the time to be doing it. Nobody gets hurt from this.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bmags said:

How about this, our CF bat is terrible. Behind a few runs late in the game they move tim to CF and allows us to bring in rondon in for an extra bat while keeping tims bat in lineup.

That's the kind of versatility you see top teams seeking, moving players around to create optimal lineups for pitchers. 

Knowing that Tim could play some center does not mean he is always a center fielder. 

Ill give you the versatility, I cant argue with that. If the plan is to make him our every day CF I beleive its not the best long term solution. 

The scenerio you brought fourth makes a ton of sense based on the way your presented it

Just now, mqr said:

It's the first full workout of the spring...

So why wouldn’t you just keep Yoan at 2nd and Yolmer at 3rd if you thought there was a chance to get Manny?  The much more obvious reason is they’re moving Yoan to 3rd for Madrigal to have a spot next season.  This was hinted at so much this offseason as to what would happen if they missed on Manny.  I don’t see how this news could make people not feel down about their chances to get Machado.

• Haha 1

Just now, fathom said:

So why wouldn’t you just keep Yoan at 2nd and Yolmer at 3rd if you thought there was a chance to get Manny?  The much more obvious reason is they’re moving Yoan to 3rd for Madrigal to have a spot next season.  This was hinted at so much this offseason as to what would happen if they missed on Manny.  I don’t see how this news could make people not feel down about their chances to get Machado.

Because if he doesn't sign for another month, your screwed if you assumed he was coming all along?

Just now, fathom said:

Or maybe the want Yoan taking reps at third in case Madrigal flies through the system and they want to move Yoan back there. Makes sense.

1 minute ago, TheTruth05 said:

I hate bringing the Cubs up but them and the dodgers and few other top teams aren't afraid to have their guys play around the diamond. Sox giving their guys reps around the field is great, Machado or not this is what they should be doing and this is especially the time to be doing it. Nobody gets hurt from this.

Thank you. Ideally sox end up a team with more than one good player at positions, and depending on the pitching matchup may need to play multiple of those players on one game, and can because they utilize them around the diamond and they are prepared for that.

In soxtalk minds if that happened, you trade your backup shortstop and 2b for catcher. Screw that, you want to win the division every year? Have overwhelming depth. You may not win a world series but you'll get through 162 a lot easier.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

How do you know they’re not just doing this for show?

• Thanks 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres