3/30- Sox at Royals, 1:15 CDT, NBCSC

flavum

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If Giolito looks awful tomorrow this opening series will have put a damper into all of my optimism. Rodon and Lopez's 1st starts velocity wise leave a LOT to be desired. neither guy is going to be all that effective throwing low 90s. 

Everything I've heard about Giolito this spring is that he was sitting 95-97 so hopefully he shows that tomorrow. 

It’s 35 degrees

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

If this offseason didn't already kill it nothing will. This offseason should have been enough to leave 10k tickets unsold for the home opener. 

There are still tickets left for HOD and I've never seem them available this late in the season.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If Giolito looks awful tomorrow this opening series will have put a damper into all of my optimism. Rodon and Lopez's 1st starts velocity wise leave a LOT to be desired. neither guy is going to be all that effective throwing low 90s. 

Everything I've heard about Giolito this spring is that he was sitting 95-97 so hopefully he shows that tomorrow. 

Lopez will be fine velocity wise, he just needs to be able to command his pitches.  He’s missing all over the place today.  

Just now, Jake said:

If they really cared about what's good for Lopez's pitch count they wouldn't play Palka in RF

Yep he makes Avi look like a gold glover... I want chubby Palka back at DH

Just now, fathom said:

2 runs would have scored even if they caught that ball

Palka also let Hamilton tag on him. But it's also true that Eloy/Anderson made the back-breaking error in this particular inning. Only difference is there's upside to playing Eloy in the outfield

Just now, mqr said:

It’s 35 degrees

Yeah, but you never know if it is just the weather or not. These guys have to learn how to get loose in cold weather otherwise they can't pitch here. Guys have to be able to pitch in cold weather because it is unlikely to break 60 degrees with regularity until Mother's day, and if the last few years are any indication I wouldn't expect anything warmer than 55 until mid-May. 

1 minute ago, BigHurt3515 said:

You know you can be a good pitcher and not throw 95+ right? It isn't all about velocity.

Lopez is not good in the cold weather but I have seen him 95 and 96 today

He’s never been pinpoint though, which is why even at 97-98 he struggles to miss bats.  At 92-94, it makes it easier to square up.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lopez will be fine velocity wise, he just needs to be able to command his pitches.  He’s missing all over the place today.  

I hope you're right. I'm going to watch him a bit closer next inning to see if he's flying open. That costs a pitcher velocity, as we've seen with Giolito. 

5 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

You know you can be a good pitcher and not throw 95+ right? It isn't all about velocity.

Lopez is not good in the cold weather but I have seen him 95 and 96 today

I saw 2 at 95 and a couple at 91. He's been mostly 92-93. It depends on the pitcher. Some pitchers have the secondary stuff to get hitters out without the premium velo, some don't. I don't think Lopez is the former. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Main question for me about Lopez today is where his changeup is hiding. Everyone's different but my experience is that's the offspeed pitch that's easiest to throw on these chilly days where your fingers don't feel right.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

He’s never been pinpoint though, which is why even at 97-98 he struggles to miss bats.  At 92-94, it makes it easier to square up.

He struggled to miss bats because guys were just teeing up on his fastball.  Until he can command the secondary pitches with some level of consistency that will not change.