5/27 Games

SoxAce

2 hours ago, bmags said:

That we don’t know the answer is why we don’t promote him yet, but I’d like him at at least a .130 iso before he is promoted

I would agree that there is no rush  However, I would base it more on how he is hitting the ball around the field more so than on pure ISO.

Edited by ptatc

3 hours ago, danman31 said:

I'm not sure I would want him in AA until at least the midseason all-star break down there. Even then, I want sustained success. The concept of rushing him I think goes away when you're seeing the clear weaknesses in his offensive game. Moving him to AA, where he's likely to struggle out of the gate, isn't the best environment for him to make adjustments to his swing and approach.

I wonder if he will end up like Whit Merrifield as a bit of a late bloomer because of his approach.

Whit Merrifield was a ninth round pick. Big difference comparing him with Madrigal.

30 minutes ago, bmags said:

For context, a very good Madrigal comp is Luis Urias, who is a short, low power 2b (not rod Carew).

Urias as a 19 year old hit .330/.397/.440 in A+.

Madrigal as a 22 year old is hitting .271/.341/.373.

Urias as a 22 year old is now hitting in AAA is hitting .351/.442/.731.

It’s disappointing.

I’d be more disappointed with India’s season to date if the Sox had drafted him instead. He has more power than Madrigal but a 25.5 K% is not a good sign for a 22.5 yo in A+. For reference, Moncada had a 21.1 K% as a 21 yo in A+. Joey Gallo had a 26.0 K% as a 20 yo in A+. India has nowhere near the same power as Gallo so unless he cuts that strikeout rate significantly, he’s going to have a tough time in AA on up.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

14 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’d be more disappointed with India’s season to date if the Sox had drafted him instead. He has more power than Madrigal but a 25.5 K% is not a good sign for a 22.5 yo in A+. For reference, Moncada had a 21.1 K% as a 21 yo in A+. Joey Gallo had a 26.0 K% as a 20 yo in A+. India has nowhere near the same power as Gallo so unless he cuts that strikeout rate significantly, he’s going to have a tough time in AA on up.

How would you feel about the Sox drafting Kelenic or Gorman over Madrigal? 

8 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

How would you feel about the Sox drafting Kelenic or Gorman over Madrigal? 

Never considered either of them at #4, who did? I don’t recall seeing a single mock draft that had either of those two ahead of Madrigal in early June finals days leading up to the draft. To me, it was either Madrigal, India, or Singer and I preferred Madrigal.

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Never considered either of them at #4, who did? I don’t recall seeing a single mock draft that had either of those two ahead of Madrigal in early June finals days leading up to the draft. To me, it was either Madrigal, India, or Singer and I preferred Madrigal.

Kelenic was drafted 6. Wouldn't have been a stretch at all to take him at #4. 

27 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

The other thing that would be concerning about India is his defense. I thought he was supposed to be solid at 3b but his .926 fielding percentage this season is pretty rough.

You can't really use fielding percentage to judge a player's defense, especially in the minors. In person reports would be much more accurate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Then why didn’t any of the final mock drafts place him over Madrigal? Seems there was a consensus Madrigal was the better pick no?

Mock drafts have nothing to do with how different sites view how good a player is.  For example, KLaw might have had Madrigal going in the top 5, but he definitely didn't have him as a top 5 prospect in the draft.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Then why didn’t any of the final mock drafts place him over Madrigal? Seems there was a consensus Madrigal was the better pick no?

I don't recall the mock drafts and I sure hope the Sox aren't using them to influence their drafting. 

2 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

I don't recall the mock drafts and I sure hope the Sox aren't using them to influence their drafting. 

Google “2018 mlb mock drafts” and take a look. Try to find one that had Kelenic or Gorman ahead of Madrigal. In fact, most mock drafts had the Sox taking Singer with Madrigal either going #3 to the Phillies or #5 to the Reds.

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Google “2018 mlb mock drafts” and take a look. Try to find one that had Kelenic or Gorman ahead of Madrigal. In fact, most mock drafts had the Sox taking Singer with Madrigal either going #3 to the Phillies or #5 to the Reds.

again, mock drafts don't mean anything in terms of prospect rankings.  Everyone had the Sox linked to Madrigal, Bohm or Singer because of their preference for college players.  There was some smoke for Kelenic earlier in the process with regards to the Sox, but that quickly vanished and rumors were they didn't consider him at all down the stretch.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Mock drafts have nothing to do with how different sites view how good a player is.  For example, KLaw might have had Madrigal going in the top 5, but he definitely didn't have him as a top 5 prospect in the draft.

Mocks had 3 different teams picking in the top 5 overall selecting Madrigal, not just the Sox. That tells me 3 teams rated him very highly and a consensus top 5 pick regardless of how Keith Law rated him.

just going to beat stuff into the ground.

Brice Turang, the polished, competitive HS Prep SS that got docked for showing too little power his senior year is slashing .308/.415/.402 in A ball as a 19 year old with 32 BBs and 34 walks.

He too, only has 1 homer. But if Nick can double his walk rate and start to be more selective with what he attacks, you can still see this profile working more effectively. But what he's doing right now is not good enough and not worth a promotion.

Two very different players.  Turang has a vey projectable body but didn't fill out as quickly as some would have liked (much like Cody Bellinger). Turang's going to get bigger and stronger and he will drive the ball. He's going to ba an all time miss. Madrigal on the other hand has no projection to him.  None.  He is what he is.  

6 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Two very different players.  Turang has a vey projectable body but didn't fill out as quickly as some would have liked (much like Cody Bellinger). Turang's going to get bigger and stronger and he will drive the ball. He's going to ba an all time miss. Madrigal on the other hand has no projection to him.  None.  He is what he is.  

Merely an exercise in performance tracking. I think people just transpose the numbers of these guys into the big leagues and say 'that would be fine'. But realistically almost every mlb guy killed it in A+ unless they were injured.

To do so, Madrigal could do it in a turang like way of getting much more selective than he is now. I loved Milwaukees draft.

19 hours ago, bmags said:

The white Sox should demand that they can get more than that from his offensive profile from their development staff.

You don't draft #4 overall and expect a utility infielder.  I don't GAF about his strikeout rate in high A as a 22 year old repeater given his other batted ball data is downright bad.  His quality of contact is garbage as evidenced by his pull rate and BABIP and ISO.   

And he'd have to be an elite defensive 2B (top 5 in MLB) to carry 2 WAR with a 280/330/350 line.  

It's sad that's already what his median case scenario looks like.

I liked the pick but right now it looks bad.  As I said the other day it's going "to get late early" for Madrigal next year if he's a 23 year old struggling in AA.  We really have to hope he makes a big jump sometime in the next year to get back on a prospect track.  He's got work to do.

• Thanks 1